Memorized payee list category not used

Ovidiu
Ovidiu Member ✭✭
This is driving me crazy and happens for a bunch of merchants in Quicken 2016 Premier/Windows.

I have the merchant (Trader's Joe) in "Memorized payee list" with Category=Groceries.
However all new transactions for "Trade's Joe" that I download are assigned Category=Drinks (I do the manual accept them and I have to edit each one).

I did have another entry under Memorized payee list for "Trader's Joe"  with a different category (Drinks) but I've deleted that. I've also locked the entry with Category=Groceries.

I should also note that I have a rule renaming rule that converts any payee that contains "Trader's Joe ..." to be simply "Trader's Joe".

Any ideas?
(My Quicken file has been validated a bunch of times - no errors).

Comments

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited January 2017

have you tried editing the memorized payee list?  I am working on Windows Quicken 2017.

under accounts click on all then go to tools/memorize payee list.  Click on those payees that you want to Never auto categorize or delete them.  Done or merge and rename if a better option for you.

• mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Are you automatically adding downloaded transactions to your account register? If so, turn that off, at least temporarily, until you can get the issue resolved.

As Arlene mentioned, check your Memorized Payee list to be sure there are no occurrences of any variant of Trader Joes with Drinks as the category.

Also, if you sync to the cloud or use mobile, try stopping that for a short time - at least until you get the Memorized Payee issue resolved.

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Ovidiu
    Ovidiu Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020

have you tried editing the memorized payee list?  I am working on Windows Quicken 2017.

under accounts click on all then go to tools/memorize payee list.  Click on those payees that you want to Never auto categorize or delete them.  Done or merge and rename if a better option for you.

Yes, I tried that.
    As I mentioned above I had two "Trader's Joe" payees and I've deleted one of them. I've also edited the one that remained (removed the memo filed and "locked" it).
    Nothing helped.
  • Ovidiu
    Ovidiu Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020

Are you automatically adding downloaded transactions to your account register? If so, turn that off, at least temporarily, until you can get the issue resolved.

As Arlene mentioned, check your Memorized Payee list to be sure there are no occurrences of any variant of Trader Joes with Drinks as the category.

Also, if you sync to the cloud or use mobile, try stopping that for a short time - at least until you get the Memorized Payee issue resolved.

I'm not adding transactions automatically. As mentioned above I do it manually.
    Also I mentioned that I had two payees and I deleted one of them. There's no other "Trader's Joe" payee left.

No, I'm not syncing to cloud.

Thanks for trying.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited February 2017
    I'm having many problems with memorized payees.  I've used Quicken for a long time, but i'm so frustrated, I'm looking at new software.  Doesn't seem like it should be so complicated.  It used to work fine until I "upgraded."
  • Dan Glynhampton
    Dan Glynhampton Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Hi Jennifer. What version did you upgrade from and to? What exactly are the problems you're seeing with memorised payees? List them out and someone might be able to help with at least some of them.
    US Quicken Deluxe for Windows Subscription R28.16 on Windows 10 Pro v2004
  • mshiggins
    edited May 2020

So you are downloading transactions but not automatically having them added to your register.

What do you have set for Preferences | Downloaded Transactions: Automatically Categorize Transactions? If it is checked, what happens with your memorized payed matching with it unchecked?

• Ovidiu
    Ovidiu Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020

Yes, I have it checked.
    An d I don't want to run with it unchecked. To manually categorize transactions would be a worse outcome. Do you have reasons to believe this would avoid the issue? 
  • mshiggins
    edited May 2020

Yes, I think it would prevent the issue. Why don't you try it?

• Ovidiu
    Ovidiu Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020

Because I'm giving up auto categorization for *all* transactions in order to solve a fraction percent of cases where the category is incorrectly assigned. For me it's a loosing proposition.
    Thanks for your thoughts.
  • mshiggins
    edited May 2020

Seriously? It's not a forever change, it's just to confirm or refute that it is contributing to the issue.

• Ovidiu
    Ovidiu Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020

I can try that just to confirm the behavior.
    I thought you were suggesting it as a fix for the problem.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited June 2018
    My memorized payees aren't even being assigned to transactions! I have to manually go into each transaction and enter the category every time. Doesn't that defeat the purpose? How can I fix this? I'm using 2016 version
  • Jeffrey Dorn
    Jeffrey Dorn Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020

I am having the same problem. Ever since I upgraded to RPM2017 all of my previously memorized transactions and payees are not in the list nor do they memorize.  So each time I make a payment or enter a download, I have to manually enter all of the categories and they do not memorize.  I have checked the preferences many times and the correct boxes are checked.  I have used quicken for over 15 years and this sucks!  
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited May 2020

My memorized payees aren't even being assigned to transactions! I have to manually go into each transaction and enter the category every time. Doesn't that defeat the purpose? How can I fix this? I'm using 2016 version

I'm having the same problem with Quicken Home & Business 2016 R 10 (25.1.10.1) - it seems like over the past month or so, I type in a payee that I've used for years and it will not autofill as if it is not memorized. I check and it is in the memorized payee list. I've "validated" the database with no errors found. Any ideas anyone? Very frustrating!!!
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited May 2020

See my reply in the other thread: https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/memorized-payee-not-working?topic-reply-list%5Bs...
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited May 2020

I had this problem.  In the "Tools>Memorized Payee List" screen, I noticed that while the Memorized Payee list had the transaction that should have been automatically categorized but wasn't being categorized, the "Type" (Transaction Type) was blank. When I edited that transaction in the Memorized Payee List, I noticed that the information was incorrect: the Transaction type defaulted to "Deposit" (whereas it was blank on the "Memorized Payee List" screen), and the Category field was empty (whereas on the main "Memorized Payee LIst" screen the category was listed correctly).  Once I reentered the Transaction Type and the Category, then it seemed to correctly autocategorize downloaded transactions.  I think there is a bug in the Memorized Payee list....
This discussion has been closed.