Quicken for Mac 2017 v4.3 & 4.3.1 Released

Quicken Marcus
Quicken Marcus Employee ✭✭✭✭
Today we're releasing Quicken for Mac 2017 v4.3.  This has lots of new little features and a bunch of great bug fixes.  The official release notes are here but here's are some highlights.
  1. Custom report drill down - In this release you'll now be able to click on numbers in a custom report and see the transaction details that make up that number.  We've added this feature to the comparison and summary report.  NOTE: There's a small bug in 4.3 where the drill down changes the Category and Summary report.  See my official comment on how to fix.  We just shipped 4.3.1 that fixes the issue.
  2. 12-Month budget printing & currency - A lot of people have been asking for the ability to print 12-Month budgets.  This is still a pretty basic print capability and doesn't give you a lot of flexibility but it's a start.  If you want lots of flexibility, I would still recommend copying the report and pasting it into Excel or Numbers and then manipulating it those apps before printing.  We've also added the ability to set the currency in the 12-Month budget. 
  3. Transfer shortcut feature - We've brought back a feature that's in QWin and Q2007 where you can enter in a transfer in the category field by typing a bracket "[" to display all of your accounts.  This allows you to hide the Transfer field if you don't want it to take up space.
  4. Schedule transaction bug fix - We fixed something we broke in 2017 where you couldn't see scheduled transactions for investment accounts under the Bills tab.  This now works. 
  5. Custom report bug fixes - We've also fixed some bugs in the new comparison and summary report feature where the difference sign and currency symbol was wrong.
  6. Double counting of cash accounts in investments - Some of you may have seen double counting of cash balances.  This appeared in managed brokerage accounts like Merrill Lynch.  Basically cash would be moved to a low risk money market security.  When the brokerages reported this information to Quicken, we would get both the security and the cash balance so we'd double count the two not realizing they were the same thing.  We've now added special code to detect these types of accounts and to eliminate these extra transactions so the balance remains correct.
  7. Fixed the report payee filter.  It wasn't working correctly before.
Anyway, lots of good stuff in v4.3.  We continue plugging along.  Of course these are only the things we're releasing.  A number of our engineers are also working on bigger, longer term feature enhancements like loans that we'll be releasing in future updates.

Please use this post to add any new issues that you may be seeing in v4.3 specifically.  The Mac dev team will be monitoring this post closely for the next couple of weeks so we can jump on any issues quickly.  Even if we don't reply to each post, we are reading them.  Thanks again for using Quicken for Mac and all your help in supporting the community.

Thanks,
Marcus
Twitter: @softwaremarcus

Comments

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2018
    What about handling of stock options transactions for investment accounts? it's absurd that the 2017 doesn't have this capability.
  • Snoopy FC
    Snoopy FC Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Loving the ability to drill down in reports all the way back to the account.  Thankful that you added the memo/notes option.  I like being able to see what that money went to.  This is a big addition.  
    QMac Subscription - iMac - Quicken Mac user since 1995
  • Snoopy FC
    Snoopy FC Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Having the ability to print the budget is great, and it would be greater if I could print what I want to only a couple pages.  The current setup requires about 18.  It's a step in the right direction.  
  • Snoopy FC
    Snoopy FC Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Like the transfer shortcut and one less column to maintain in the register. 
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited June 2018
    Please give us account selection options with budget report. There are significant challenges to printing the budget, more print control options needed. Thanks for adding drill down to the customized reports.  The customized y2y report needs to have current year in first column and prior year in the second column. The sign change helped, but please change the column order. Thanks for adding 'report a problem'. Will be using that one when needed. Allow customizable folder option so I can organize the reports tab. I really appreciate the fixes and updates. Keep up the good work! When will the program be web based? I am looking forward to that! The search function on the mobile app rocks! Glad to see transfer shortcut. Is there a way to re-categorize transactions?
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    I hope that when you implement loans it provides full functionality...please do not leave out bits and pieces...I'd rather have nothing until it is complete than have a partially working feature, like lack of drill down to the transaction record or printing only for some things and not others, or export for some and not others, some reports allow memo, others do not...etc. I just encourage you to keep a feature set complete when implementing it...Thx

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• John Kostenbader
    John Kostenbader Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    I dearly, dearly miss the ability of a two line registry display. I like to show most of the columns and its just too wide. Please bring a two line display like the windows version. I have friends that are holding of going to the Mac version because of that
  • John Kostenbader
    edited August 2018
    Also...as of today 11/11 at 0800 EST this version is not available in the App store. When will it be released?
  • Marys
    Marys Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    I have a question. I see that in this new release now I can switch the intuit login for a data file. Currently I use two intuit logins because I have two data files for our family. Previously Quicken would not let me use my Intuit login for both files, so I had to create a new email address and Intuit ID just to use my files. I would like to have them both under my original Intuit ID.  

My question is about Quicken Bill Pay.  I am thinking about trying the service again and would need to use it for both my files. Is it possible to use the same Quicken bill pay service for both my files if they are both logged in using the same Intuit ID?

Thanks
  • Snoopy FC
    Snoopy FC Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016

I dearly, dearly miss the ability of a two line registry display. I like to show most of the columns and its just too wide. Please bring a two line display like the windows version. I have friends that are holding of going to the Mac version because of that

While I liked the two line display in QM2007, I've realized that QM2017 provides all the options and columns that QM2007 had plus more.  Still, some would probably prefer having the option for a two line display.  It took me awhile to feel comfortable with the current setup.  Hopefully that's something they can accommodate.  
  • Snoopy FC
    Snoopy FC Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016

I hope that when you implement loans it provides full functionality...please do not leave out bits and pieces...I'd rather have nothing until it is complete than have a partially working feature, like lack of drill down to the transaction record or printing only for some things and not others, or export for some and not others, some reports allow memo, others do not...etc. I just encourage you to keep a feature set complete when implementing it...Thx

Agreed.  There are some inconsistencies in QM2017 that still need some cleanup (notably the notes/memo options on reports).  
  • John Kostenbader
    edited November 2016

I agree...I would say, at this point, I'm living with it. If I didnt' have a 27" display I think I'd have more of a problem with it. Never-the-less its high on my list of desired visual improvements and its a feature that I know for certain others are holding out for
  • lhossus
    lhossus SuperUser, Mac Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    I am getting a dialog with
      Got Update Error!
    An error occurred while relaunching Quicken 2017, but the new version will be available next time you run Quicken 2017 
    [Cancel Update] 
    Here is the sequence leading to the above error
    1. I launched Quicken for Mac 2017 v4.2.1 this morning at about 9AM ET as usual to download transactions.
    2. I was greeted with "A new version of Quicken 2017 is available! 
    3. I clicked on Install Update, and after downloading the 32.4MB file, I was presented with the usual Ready to Install dialog. 
    4. I clicked on its Install and Relaunch button. 
    5. The above Update Error dialog appeared.
    I have several times manually selected Check for Updates... from the Quicken menu, and the same error occurs. I have also relaunched Quicken.

Here are some messages from the Console log that might be relevant. Redacted for my privacy.
    11/11/16 9:01:59.493 AM mdworker[11839]: zip importer encountered an error (2) scanning "/Users/xxxxx/Library/Caches/com.quicken.Quicken.2017/Sparkle/Quicken 2017 43.14805.100/Quicken2017-43.14805.100.zip".
    11/11/16 9:02:09.105 AM Quicken 2017[12133]: Sparkle: ===== Quicken 2017 v4.2.1 =====
    11/11/16 9:02:09.106 AM Quicken 2017[12133]: Sparkle: Extracting using '/usr/bin/ditto' '-x' '-k' '-' < '/Users/xxxxx/Library/Caches/com.quicken.Quicken.2017/Sparkle/Quicken 2017 43.14805.100/Quicken2017-43.14805.100.zip' '/Users/xxxxx/Library/Caches/com.quicken.Quicken.2017/Sparkle/Quicken 2017 43.14805.100'
    11/11/16 9:03:54.673 AM Quicken 2017[12133]: Sparkle: Error: An error occurred while relaunching Quicken 2017, but the new version will be available next time you run Quicken 2017. Couldn't find the relauncher (expected to find it at (null)) (URL (null))
    11/11/16 9:03:54.673 AM Quicken 2017[12133]: Sparkle update was aborted with error: Error Domain=SUSparkleErrorDomain Code=4004 "An error occurred while relaunching Quicken 2017, but the new version will be available next time you run Quicken 2017." UserInfo=0xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx {NSLocalizedDescription=An error occurred while relaunching Quicken 2017, but the new version will be available next time you run Quicken 2017., NSLocalizedFailureReason=Couldn't find the relauncher (expected to find it at (null))}

Quicken Mac Subscription • macOS Monterey 12.6 on MacBook Pro 13" M1
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2016

I have a different opinion -I really haven't missed the 2-line register. So far, the simpler, cleaner display in 2017 conveys the information I find most useful and is less confusing. I would hate to see the current single line display go away. I'm certainly OK with having an option to have a 2-line display, but I doubt if I would use it.
  • John Kostenbader
    edited November 2016

Ageeed with you Steve. It definitly should be an option to turn on or off. That's the way its configured in the Windows version and it should carry through to the Mac.
  • RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited December 2016

I exactly agree with stevec55.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • qmac_scott
    qmac_scott Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    I would love the ability to do a mass search by "payee" or "notes" of all accounts (hidden or not). I have lots of accounts that have been closed and so they are marked as "hidden in list" but not "hidden in reports". But even so, they do not show up in any search function.
  • Snoopy FC
    Snoopy FC Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016

I would love the ability to do a mass search by "payee" or "notes" of all accounts (hidden or not). I have lots of accounts that have been closed and so they are marked as "hidden in list" but not "hidden in reports". But even so, they do not show up in any search function.

Agreed.  This has been noted as an idea.  You can search for it and add your vote to it.   
  • Concordman
    Concordman Mac Beta Beta
    edited December 2016

What about handling of stock options transactions for investment accounts? it's absurd that the 2017 doesn't have this capability.

What issues are you needing to address wrt  stock options?
  • Concordman
    Concordman Mac Beta Beta
    edited November 2017
    I have noticed that the description of securities in the different portfolios are no longer capped; is that something expected? 
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016

You can VOTE for the feature to Add option for 2-line/row display, here: https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/add-option-for-2-line-row-display-in-quicken-for...

First, click on the link above to go there, then click VOTE at the top of THAT page, so your will vote count for THIS feature and increase its visibility to the developers.

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016

Also...as of today 11/11 at 0800 EST this version is not available in the App store. When will it be released?

App store releases are always delayed...anywhere from days to sometimes weeks.

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016

You can VOTE for the feature to Search in Hidden Account Registers, here: https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/add-option-to-search-in-hidden-account-registers...

First, click on the link above to go there, then click VOTE at the top of THAT page, so your will vote count for THIS feature and increase its visibility to the developers.

• John Kostenbader
    edited November 2016

I figured as much....that's very annoying to have to wait when all the teaser information has already been sent. Hopefully it will NOT be weeks
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016

Yes...please standardize your feature sets to maintain consistency, across old and new reports, etc.

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016

You can VOTE for the request Budget Report drill down to Detail Report: Memo/Notes field is needed.

First, click on the underlined link above to go there, then click VOTE at the top of THAT page, so your will vote count for THIS feature and increase its visibility to the developers.

• Quicken Marcus
    edited December 2016
    Marys said:

I have a question. I see that in this new release now I can switch the intuit login for a data file. Currently I use two intuit logins because I have two data files for our family. Previously Quicken would not let me use my Intuit login for both files, so I had to create a new email address and Intuit ID just to use my files. I would like to have them both under my original Intuit ID.  

My question is about Quicken Bill Pay.  I am thinking about trying the service again and would need to use it for both my files. Is it possible to use the same Quicken bill pay service for both my files if they are both logged in using the same Intuit ID?

Thanks

For now, please keep the two files using two different Intuit IDs.  We're working on allowing one to use a single Intuit ID for both but we're not quite there yet. 

In regards to Quicken Bill Pay, it's currently independent of the Intuit ID so you can use your single Quicken Bill Pay credentials for both your files with the 2 different Intuit IDs.  It's still admittedly kind of messy.  We're trying to clean all of this up but aren't there yet.
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited December 2016

We have to submit it and then Apple has to approve it.  It typically takes a week.
  • Concordman
    Concordman Mac Beta Beta
    edited December 2016

If you buy from Quicken direct or Amazon you will not have to wait for the changes . Something perhaps to think about for next yr:)
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited August 2018
    We found a small bug in 4.3 where drilling down on a Comparison or Summary custom report will update the Category or Payee Summary report's customization.  Basically if you clicked on the Gas category, when you go to the Category Summary, you'll only see the Gas category.  We stopped rolling out 4.3, we have a fix already and are testing it out and will start the roll out again with version 4.3.1.

The fix is pretty easy.  If you find yourself in this situation, go to the Category Summary report:
    1) Click Customize.
    2) Go to the Category tab.
    3) Click None.

All of your categories will become unselected which basically returns this report to the default state of displaying all categories.  The same solution applies to the Payee report.  Just go to Customize and click None under the Payee tab.

Sorry we missed this one before we shipped.
This discussion has been closed.