Quicken for Mac 2017 v4.3 & 4.3.1 Released

Comments

• John Kostenbader
    John Kostenbader Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016

Also...as of today 11/11 at 0800 EST this version is not available in the App store. When will it be released?

Ok...kinda disppointing that it takes that long but you know what they say about anticipation. I hear ya about buying it direct. I will keep that in mind for Quicken 2018!
  • Quicken Marcus
    Quicken Marcus Employee ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    lhossus said:

I am getting a dialog with

Got Update Error!
    An error occurred while relaunching Quicken 2017, but the new version will be available next time you run Quicken 2017 
    [Cancel Update] 
    Here is the sequence leading to the above error
    1. I launched Quicken for Mac 2017 v4.2.1 this morning at about 9AM ET as usual to download transactions.
    2. I was greeted with "A new version of Quicken 2017 is available! 
    3. I clicked on Install Update, and after downloading the 32.4MB file, I was presented with the usual Ready to Install dialog. 
    4. I clicked on its Install and Relaunch button. 
    5. The above Update Error dialog appeared.
    I have several times manually selected Check for Updates... from the Quicken menu, and the same error occurs. I have also relaunched Quicken.

Here are some messages from the Console log that might be relevant. Redacted for my privacy.
    11/11/16 9:01:59.493 AM mdworker[11839]: zip importer encountered an error (2) scanning "/Users/xxxxx/Library/Caches/com.quicken.Quicken.2017/Sparkle/Quicken 2017 43.14805.100/Quicken2017-43.14805.100.zip".
    11/11/16 9:02:09.105 AM Quicken 2017[12133]: Sparkle: ===== Quicken 2017 v4.2.1 =====
    11/11/16 9:02:09.106 AM Quicken 2017[12133]: Sparkle: Extracting using '/usr/bin/ditto' '-x' '-k' '-' < '/Users/xxxxx/Library/Caches/com.quicken.Quicken.2017/Sparkle/Quicken 2017 43.14805.100/Quicken2017-43.14805.100.zip' '/Users/xxxxx/Library/Caches/com.quicken.Quicken.2017/Sparkle/Quicken 2017 43.14805.100'
    11/11/16 9:03:54.673 AM Quicken 2017[12133]: Sparkle: Error: An error occurred while relaunching Quicken 2017, but the new version will be available next time you run Quicken 2017. Couldn't find the relauncher (expected to find it at (null)) (URL (null))
    11/11/16 9:03:54.673 AM Quicken 2017[12133]: Sparkle update was aborted with error: Error Domain=SUSparkleErrorDomain Code=4004 "An error occurred while relaunching Quicken 2017, but the new version will be available next time you run Quicken 2017." UserInfo=0xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx {NSLocalizedDescription=An error occurred while relaunching Quicken 2017, but the new version will be available next time you run Quicken 2017., NSLocalizedFailureReason=Couldn't find the relauncher (expected to find it at (null))}

No really sure how to fix that issue. It sounds like the downloaded file was corrupted.  Our engineer suggests to first try the easy stuff like retrying (which I think you've already done) and rebooting to see if that cleans up anything.  If that doesn't work then he suggests deleting ~/Library/Caches/com.quicken.Quicken.2017.
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited December 2016

I have noticed that the description of securities in the different portfolios are no longer capped; is that something expected? 

Are you talking about the security name that appears in the portfolio view?  That's not an area we touched so I'm surprised it changed for you.   Do you think your brokerage may have changed the data they send us?
  • Concordman
    Concordman Mac Beta Beta
    edited December 2016

I have noticed that the description of securities in the different portfolios are no longer capped; is that something expected? 

Not sure at this time Marcus , all the securities are correct it's just the way they are shown, previously all securities were presented as capitalized now not the case . Going to see how future downloads from the Fi look
  • Joseph A. Villalona
    Joseph A. Villalona Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Why Quicken 2017 v.4.3.0 takes so long to open up?
  • Snoopy FC
    Snoopy FC Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016

Wondered the same thing.  QM2007 opens far faster and the data file was about 1/3 the size of my current file.  
    QMac Subscription - iMac - Quicken Mac user since 1995
  • Randy_m
    Randy_m Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    I bought Quicken 2017 for Mac, and discovered that it Wells Fargo doesn't support Direct Connect for this version (confirmed by Wells customer support). This is an essential service for me (not going to pay extra, since it works in Banktivity). So, I had to get a refund. Is there any way of being notified when this is fixed, so I can re-purchase your software. Banktivity works, but is seems kind of clunky to me, and I'd much rather go back to Quicken. Thanks
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited December 2016
    Randy_m said:

I bought Quicken 2017 for Mac, and discovered that it Wells Fargo doesn't support Direct Connect for this version (confirmed by Wells customer support). This is an essential service for me (not going to pay extra, since it works in Banktivity). So, I had to get a refund. Is there any way of being notified when this is fixed, so I can re-purchase your software. Banktivity works, but is seems kind of clunky to me, and I'd much rather go back to Quicken. Thanks

Wells Fargo Direct Connect is definitely supported on Quicken Mac.  I personally use it for my own Wells Fargo accounts including Wells Fargo Advisors.  However, I believe Wells Fargo decided to stop accepting new Direct Connect accounts for a period of time and this might have been the period you tried to sign-up.  I don't know how long this policy is going to be in place.

They do charge $3/month for regular Quicken connection and $9.99/month for bill pay.  Are you sure you want to use Direct Connect?  Quicken Connect might meet your needs and is free.
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited December 2016

How long does it take to open for you both?  It opens in about 2 seconds for me but I'm using a test file without much data.
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited December 2016

I would love the ability to do a mass search by "payee" or "notes" of all accounts (hidden or not). I have lots of accounts that have been closed and so they are marked as "hidden in list" but not "hidden in reports". But even so, they do not show up in any search function.

It used to kind of work before but it was because there was a bug in the spending tab where all accounts were selected even hidden ones.  When we fixed that issue, search stopped finding in hidden accounts.  Definitely vote for it.  I can definitely see the value of this feature and it's on my radar.  Thanks for suggesting it. 
  • Randy_m
    Randy_m Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Randy_m said:

They don't charge me because of the amount of business I have with them. The account I'm talking about has been active for years, so it's not a new account. It was only about a week ago that I tried to set that account up for Direct Connect in the new Quicken. The only option I was given was Quicken Connect, and there was no way that I could see to switch it to Direct Connect. I chatted with a Quicken support person, and she told me it was the bank's issue, and not Quicken. So, I called Wells's Quicken support line and the person there told me that Direct Connect is not supported on Q 2017 Mac "yet". I'd hate to re-purchase just to find out that I cannot do it.
  • Randy_m
    Randy_m Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Randy_m said:

Also, I thought that bill pay using Quicken Connect is $10 per month; did I misunderstand?
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited December 2016

I dearly, dearly miss the ability of a two line registry display. I like to show most of the columns and its just too wide. Please bring a two line display like the windows version. I have friends that are holding of going to the Mac version because of that

Sorry, I don't think we'll ever add this to the new Quicken Mac but please vote for it if you want it and we may change our mind.  The problem is we need to attract new customers to Quicken and I don't think this would be a big millennial feature since most of them have never seen a checkbook.  We just added the Transfer in Category field so you can eliminate the Transfer field from the register saving some space.  Can you tell me more about why you want to see 2 lines?   Is it because you want to see your memo field and you can't do this with a single line register?
  • Snoopy FC
    Snoopy FC Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016

15 seconds for me with a 67 MB file.  OK.  I guess that's not that slow, but QM2007 opens the "same data" in about 7 seconds, and the file size is only 22 MB.  
    QMac Subscription - iMac - Quicken Mac user since 1995
  • RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited December 2016

Mine takes 11 seconds to open on 2.3GHz MacBook Pro, 16GB memory, 960GB SSD. Database size is 118.5 MB. QM2016 3.5.3.

Perhaps nothing can be done about the time it takes to load all the data, but maybe the software could be re-optimized so that the current account is loaded first and the interface presented to the user while the rest of the data is loaded in the background?
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Randy_m said:

Quicken Connect is always free as it is part of the Quicken purchase. There is a another service called Quicken Bill Pay which is not free; it is about $10/mo.

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Randy_m said:

And to clarify...Quicken Bill Pay is a third party service, not part of Quicken. This service is different than Bill Pay via Direct Connect. This last service may be offered by banks and can only work over a Direct Connection connection. FIs/Banks may offer it for free or they may charge for it.

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2019
    Randy_m said:

I dearly, dearly miss the ability of a two line registry display. I like to show most of the columns and its just too wide. Please bring a two line display like the windows version. I have friends that are holding of going to the Mac version because of that

Sorry, I don't think we'll ever add this to the new Quicken Mac but please vote for it if you want it and we may change our mind.  The problem is we need to attract new customers to Quicken and I don't think this would be a big millennial feature since most of them have never seen a checkbook.  We just added the Transfer in Category field so you can eliminate the Transfer field from the register saving some space.  Can you tell me more about why you want to see 2 lines?   Is it because you want to see your memo field and you can't do this with a single line register?

The big problem is being able to see more info at the same time. And when you need to work with multiple registers at the same time, having all the data on one row makes it difficult to size windows side by side, or overlapping but still keeping essential data visible. 

The "new" Quicken has different fields for Transfers and for Categories and Tags. The 'old' Quicken, QM2007 has Transfers and Tags (called Classes) all in the Category field. Now in v4.3, the Transfer field can be eliminated if one chooses, which is helpful. 

But when you have long category names that you need displayed, have lots of tags or long tags, want to display the separate Payment/Debit and Deposit/Credit columns, and want to display the memo field, you quickly run out of room. Having 2-line display (at least for the main line, not split lines, though would be helpful too) would help a great deal to managing multiple windows with lots of data to view.

"Old" Quicken (both QM2007 and QWin) make this possible and easier to manage with the 2-line display. 

P.S. There is still a large demand for this, as you can see from the current votes.
    P.P.S. This has NOTHING to do with seeing a check book or not. It is just more functional for some users.

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016

An SSD would have a BIG impact...not everyone has those yet ;-)

• lhossus
    lhossus SuperUser, Mac Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    lhossus said:

I am getting a dialog with

Got Update Error!
    An error occurred while relaunching Quicken 2017, but the new version will be available next time you run Quicken 2017 
    [Cancel Update] 
    Here is the sequence leading to the above error
    1. I launched Quicken for Mac 2017 v4.2.1 this morning at about 9AM ET as usual to download transactions.
    2. I was greeted with "A new version of Quicken 2017 is available! 
    3. I clicked on Install Update, and after downloading the 32.4MB file, I was presented with the usual Ready to Install dialog. 
    4. I clicked on its Install and Relaunch button. 
    5. The above Update Error dialog appeared.
    I have several times manually selected Check for Updates... from the Quicken menu, and the same error occurs. I have also relaunched Quicken.

Here are some messages from the Console log that might be relevant. Redacted for my privacy.
    11/11/16 9:01:59.493 AM mdworker[11839]: zip importer encountered an error (2) scanning "/Users/xxxxx/Library/Caches/com.quicken.Quicken.2017/Sparkle/Quicken 2017 43.14805.100/Quicken2017-43.14805.100.zip".
    11/11/16 9:02:09.105 AM Quicken 2017[12133]: Sparkle: ===== Quicken 2017 v4.2.1 =====
    11/11/16 9:02:09.106 AM Quicken 2017[12133]: Sparkle: Extracting using '/usr/bin/ditto' '-x' '-k' '-' < '/Users/xxxxx/Library/Caches/com.quicken.Quicken.2017/Sparkle/Quicken 2017 43.14805.100/Quicken2017-43.14805.100.zip' '/Users/xxxxx/Library/Caches/com.quicken.Quicken.2017/Sparkle/Quicken 2017 43.14805.100'
    11/11/16 9:03:54.673 AM Quicken 2017[12133]: Sparkle: Error: An error occurred while relaunching Quicken 2017, but the new version will be available next time you run Quicken 2017. Couldn't find the relauncher (expected to find it at (null)) (URL (null))
    11/11/16 9:03:54.673 AM Quicken 2017[12133]: Sparkle update was aborted with error: Error Domain=SUSparkleErrorDomain Code=4004 "An error occurred while relaunching Quicken 2017, but the new version will be available next time you run Quicken 2017." UserInfo=0xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx {NSLocalizedDescription=An error occurred while relaunching Quicken 2017, but the new version will be available next time you run Quicken 2017., NSLocalizedFailureReason=Couldn't find the relauncher (expected to find it at (null))}

I tried all the suggestions on your list: retrying, rebooting, deleting cache.
    Also tried moving Quicken app file to Applications folder (I normally run add-on apps in a sub-folder of Applications), and changing the Quicken app file name from Quicken 2017 4.2.1 to just Quicken 2017.

Nothing resolved the Update Error!

I did one more thing: since the cache I was deleting contained several interesting files just before the error appeared, I made a copy of those files:
    Quicken 2017

Quicken2017-43.14810.100.zip

I then dragged the Quicken 2017 file to the Applications folder and launched it. Ta-da! Quicken 2017 v4.3.1 was running.

So, the download was not corrupted. 

Something is going wrong with the very last step of replacing the currently installed Quicken app file with the new downloaded version.

The Sparkle updater has worked flawlessly for previous Quicken updates, including the recent Quicken 2016 v3.5.3 update. Don't know of anything that has changed on my system that might be relevant.

I am running OS X Yosemite. v10.10.5.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • macOS Monterey 12.6 on MacBook Pro 13" M1
  • Randy_m
    Randy_m Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Randy_m said:

I need the bill pay in addition to the transaction download, so I must have Direct Connect. I won't pay for the third party bill pay solution.
  • Marys
    Marys Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Marys said:

I have a question. I see that in this new release now I can switch the intuit login for a data file. Currently I use two intuit logins because I have two data files for our family. Previously Quicken would not let me use my Intuit login for both files, so I had to create a new email address and Intuit ID just to use my files. I would like to have them both under my original Intuit ID.  

My question is about Quicken Bill Pay.  I am thinking about trying the service again and would need to use it for both my files. Is it possible to use the same Quicken bill pay service for both my files if they are both logged in using the same Intuit ID?

Thanks

Thanks!
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2017

Or to put it in another simple way, it allows having smaller windows side by side with more data visible.

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited December 2016

Yes, I hate to think how long mine would be taking to load if I still had a spinning hard drive.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2016

We found a small bug in 4.3 where drilling down on a Comparison or Summary custom report will update the Category or Payee Summary report's customization.  Basically if you clicked on the Gas category, when you go to the Category Summary, you'll only see the Gas category.  We stopped rolling out 4.3, we have a fix already and are testing it out and will start the roll out again with version 4.3.1.

The fix is pretty easy.  If you find yourself in this situation, go to the Category Summary report:
    1) Click Customize.
    2) Go to the Category tab.
    3) Click None.

All of your categories will become unselected which basically returns this report to the default state of displaying all categories.  The same solution applies to the Payee report.  Just go to Customize and click None under the Payee tab.

Sorry we missed this one before we shipped.

Marcus, since you monitor this board, may I please suggest that you add multi-currency support for American Quicken users who live overseas? (It has long been in the Windows version.) There are millions of us and I'm sure nearly all have local bank accounts in foreign currency. Many also own Macs. This would be an obvious market for the new company that owns Quicken -- American ex-pats as well as military members stationed overseas.
    Users can vote here (although I'm not sure whether this reflects the true demand since many ex-pats don't purchase the Quicken Mac version because it lacks this feature):

https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/add-true-multi-currency-conversion-support-in-qu...
  • Concordman
    Concordman Mac Beta Beta
    edited November 2017
    Just noticed something quirky with QM17 4.3.1; In the spending wheel when I place the cursor over "other " I see the correct value ( I think) but when I click for the details it shows total transactions. is there something I am missing here?

Just went back to a previous version of QM17, same issue with "other" in the spending wheel.
  • Concordman
    Concordman Mac Beta Beta
    edited December 2016
    Randy_m said:

I am using WF direct connect; I see no issues at this time. If your an "old" customer you should not have any issues. What we have learned here is that any customers with new Quicken accounts are going to have issues
  • Randy_m
    Randy_m Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Randy_m said:

OK, going to re-purchase, and see what happens - if there are problems, I'll get on the chat with Q support. Thanks for the info, Concordman
  • Concordman
    Concordman Mac Beta Beta
    edited December 2016
    Randy_m said:

Randy, as I mentioned earlier if you are new to Quicken WF is going to give you problems. They are no longer supporting new Quicken users. I note you are coming over from Banktivity. This is the issue with WF for you.
  • M C Crockett
    M C Crockett Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    One thing that is really needed in Quicken Mac is a more consistent transaction selection logic for budgets and reports that are generated.

The transaction selection logic used to generate the Category Comparison report needs to be used to generate the Category Summary report.  In addition, this transaction selection logic needs to be used to select the transactions to be included in the Budget tool/report.

As a retiree, it was a pleasant surprise to discover that the Category Comparison report actually reported my IRA distributions in the Income section of the report.  It would be great if my IRA distributions were reported as income when generating a Budget.  At the moment, Budget is a useless feature of Quicken Mac as it doesn't include the IRA distributions (RMD withdrawals) while including the Federal, State, and Local taxes I pay on them in the Budget.
This discussion has been closed.