Quicken for Mac 2017 v4.3 & 4.3.1 Released

Comments

• M C Crockett
    M C Crockett Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016

We found a small bug in 4.3 where drilling down on a Comparison or Summary custom report will update the Category or Payee Summary report's customization.  Basically if you clicked on the Gas category, when you go to the Category Summary, you'll only see the Gas category.  We stopped rolling out 4.3, we have a fix already and are testing it out and will start the roll out again with version 4.3.1.

The fix is pretty easy.  If you find yourself in this situation, go to the Category Summary report:
    1) Click Customize.
    2) Go to the Category tab.
    3) Click None.

All of your categories will become unselected which basically returns this report to the default state of displaying all categories.  The same solution applies to the Payee report.  Just go to Customize and click None under the Payee tab.

Sorry we missed this one before we shipped.

I appreciate the quickness in which the fix was released.  I had only reported the bug several days before QM2017 4.3.0 was released.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016

One thing that is really needed in Quicken Mac is a more consistent transaction selection logic for budgets and reports that are generated.

The transaction selection logic used to generate the Category Comparison report needs to be used to generate the Category Summary report.  In addition, this transaction selection logic needs to be used to select the transactions to be included in the Budget tool/report.

As a retiree, it was a pleasant surprise to discover that the Category Comparison report actually reported my IRA distributions in the Income section of the report.  It would be great if my IRA distributions were reported as income when generating a Budget.  At the moment, Budget is a useless feature of Quicken Mac as it doesn't include the IRA distributions (RMD withdrawals) while including the Federal, State, and Local taxes I pay on them in the Budget.

Yes, the selection criteria, feature set and user interface needs to be standardized across the board for all reports. With all it warts, QM2007 does a consistent job of presenting this info.

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016

We found a small bug in 4.3 where drilling down on a Comparison or Summary custom report will update the Category or Payee Summary report's customization.  Basically if you clicked on the Gas category, when you go to the Category Summary, you'll only see the Gas category.  We stopped rolling out 4.3, we have a fix already and are testing it out and will start the roll out again with version 4.3.1.

The fix is pretty easy.  If you find yourself in this situation, go to the Category Summary report:
    1) Click Customize.
    2) Go to the Category tab.
    3) Click None.

All of your categories will become unselected which basically returns this report to the default state of displaying all categories.  The same solution applies to the Payee report.  Just go to Customize and click None under the Payee tab.

Sorry we missed this one before we shipped.

Yes, glad they responded quickly. That part is good. I think it would have been better for them to not roll it out at all before making the fix since it was reported days before the release. Would avoid the extra churn and affecting some users.

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:

• Snoopy FC
    Snoopy FC Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016

Just noticed something quirky with QM17 4.3.1; In the spending wheel when I place the cursor over "other " I see the correct value ( I think) but when I click for the details it shows total transactions. is there something I am missing here?

Just went back to a previous version of QM17, same issue with "other" in the spending wheel.

You might want to submit this under the Report a Problem link within the help menu.  
    QMac Subscription - iMac - Quicken Mac user since 1995
  • Snoopy FC
    Snoopy FC Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016

One thing that is really needed in Quicken Mac is a more consistent transaction selection logic for budgets and reports that are generated.

The transaction selection logic used to generate the Category Comparison report needs to be used to generate the Category Summary report.  In addition, this transaction selection logic needs to be used to select the transactions to be included in the Budget tool/report.

As a retiree, it was a pleasant surprise to discover that the Category Comparison report actually reported my IRA distributions in the Income section of the report.  It would be great if my IRA distributions were reported as income when generating a Budget.  At the moment, Budget is a useless feature of Quicken Mac as it doesn't include the IRA distributions (RMD withdrawals) while including the Federal, State, and Local taxes I pay on them in the Budget.

I agree some standardization would be helpful.  I have also found that the customization tools they have implemented to date have been quite helpful.  Of course, all of our circumstances are unique, and some setups work better than others for each of us.  Hopefully the developers can strike a balance in this area.  
  • Randy_m
    Randy_m Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Randy_m said:

I bought Quicken 2017 for Mac, and discovered that it Wells Fargo doesn't support Direct Connect for this version (confirmed by Wells customer support). This is an essential service for me (not going to pay extra, since it works in Banktivity). So, I had to get a refund. Is there any way of being notified when this is fixed, so I can re-purchase your software. Banktivity works, but is seems kind of clunky to me, and I'd much rather go back to Quicken. Thanks

Oh, I thought that it was if you have a new WELLS account.  Since I already paid again, I guess I'll try it and see what happens.
  • Concordman
    Concordman Mac Beta Beta
    edited December 2016

Just noticed something quirky with QM17 4.3.1; In the spending wheel when I place the cursor over "other " I see the correct value ( I think) but when I click for the details it shows total transactions. is there something I am missing here?

Just went back to a previous version of QM17, same issue with "other" in the spending wheel.

I will try that
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2016

Thank you and keep the good work, hope we see complete currency support as well.

• Randy_m
    Randy_m Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Randy_m said:

I bought Quicken 2017 for Mac, and discovered that it Wells Fargo doesn't support Direct Connect for this version (confirmed by Wells customer support). This is an essential service for me (not going to pay extra, since it works in Banktivity). So, I had to get a refund. Is there any way of being notified when this is fixed, so I can re-purchase your software. Banktivity works, but is seems kind of clunky to me, and I'd much rather go back to Quicken. Thanks

I re-purchased and imported from Banktivity again. For some reason I don't understand, my Wells checking account now works with Direct Connect/Bill Pay! I'm very happy about this; thanks to all for the comments.
  • Robert B
    Robert B Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    After installing 4.3.1 I have attempted to pay a bill, using direct connect which has worked fine.  This time after marking one scheduled payment to pay on next update, I click on Accounts, Update selected on line account, it shows the bill to pay, click continue and all seemed fined but the bill was not paid at SunTrust Bank.  To Send status remained.  I went into edit and chose Pay Now, it told me a problem had occurred on my previous attempt.  It implied it would complete the previous attempt first.  It did not and again was not paid.  This did not go away until I closed my Quicken app, restarted it, then again chose Update selected on line account and the bill was paid!
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2017

I dearly, dearly miss the ability of a two line registry display. I like to show most of the columns and its just too wide. Please bring a two line display like the windows version. I have friends that are holding of going to the Mac version because of that

@Quicken Marcus (I hope you are still reading this thread...)

I have been pondering your comment about millennials and wondering where the notion that millennials or any new customers would be affected by having the option for a 2-line display is coming from? 

First, as you say, since most millennials have never seen a checkbook, why would you think they would interpret such an option as representing a checkbook? And when was the last time you saw a checkbook with categories, tags, and transfers? All you get is a memo field. So already I think it unlikely for there to be any confusion.

Heck, even many of us older folks have probably stopped thinking of account registers as necessarily representing checkbook entries, though many of us do understand that was the original genesis of the Quicken layout. Even so, in almost 35 years, I have hardly ever used one myself. Instead, I have been using Quicken since 1992. Is there some embedded or stuck thinking within Quicken about this? 

And again, this is being requested as an option, not to force all users to use it. So I certainly do not see this as any kind of deterrent to millennials or otherwise. It would only provide parity to the better space usage to which QM2007 users are accustomed and would provide feature parity to QWin which has the ability to switch between a 1-line and 2-line display (wasn't that one of the promises/objectives mentioned by Eric Dunn?).  

Again, the main advantage of a 2-line display are mainly functional efficiency (for those who want to take advantage of it):
    • can have narrower windows. This enables having more open side by side
    • can display more data fields simultaneously
    • can display more data fields and still have them wide enough to read the content (e.g. category, tags, memo)
    • reduces, or even eliminates, horizontal scrolling
    I hope you will take these things into consideration.

BTW, even if you do not respond, would you please acknowledge having read this, either by posting a short one or two word reply or clicking 'Like' so I know you have seen this? Thanks.

P.S. Sorry for the long verbiage...I just wanted to be sure to dispel any misconceptions and put things in a more fitting perspective.

• qmac_scott
    qmac_scott Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2016

I would love the ability to do a mass search by "payee" or "notes" of all accounts (hidden or not). I have lots of accounts that have been closed and so they are marked as "hidden in list" but not "hidden in reports". But even so, they do not show up in any search function.

Thank you all for the response. I have voted!
  • M C Crockett
    M C Crockett Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016

I would love the ability to do a mass search by "payee" or "notes" of all accounts (hidden or not). I have lots of accounts that have been closed and so they are marked as "hidden in list" but not "hidden in reports". But even so, they do not show up in any search function.

@Quicken Marcus:  Your comment reminded me of a fundamental flaw in the hidden account logic.  It involves Certificate of Deposits issued by banks and credit unions.  Typically, a separate account is created for each Certificate of Deposit that you have.

In February 2013, I opened a 3-year Certificate of Deposit (CD) account.  The monthly interest payment was downloaded via Quicken Connect from my credit union.  The CD matured in February 2016.  When the CD matured, I decided not to renew the CD, withdrew the funds, and deposited the funds into another account.

When I attempted to downloaded the last transaction for the account, the credit union reported that the account was "dead".  QM2016 marked the account as hidden in lists and hidden in reports.  This resulted in the interest income being excluded from the Schedule B section of the Tax Schedule report and from all other reports including the Budget.

This behavior also occurs when you import a financial data base from another version of Quicken.  Which reminds me, I need to check whether Quicken Premier is now excluding the income earned on my CD.  Quicken Premier leaves the account in the sidebar but marks it as closed.
  • qmac_scott
    qmac_scott Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    In the "Settings" window of a checking account, under the "Bill Pay" tab, clicking "Check For Bill Pay" seems to have no effect.
  • keoki
    keoki Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Can I convert CUSTOM reports from Quicken for Mac 2007 to 2017?
  • Concordman
    Concordman Mac Beta Beta
    edited November 2017
    Excellent question but I suspect the answer is no. Perhaps a few of the QM 2007 folks will answer for you
  • keoki
    keoki Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    keoki said:

Marcus, could you weigh in on this?
  • J_Mike
    J_Mike SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    keoki said:

QMac2017 does not import customized reports from QMac2007 or from QWin versions.
    QWin & QMac (Deluxe) Subscription
    Quicken user since 1991

• keoki
    keoki Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    keoki said:

OK, thanks - that will help in my prep for the upgrade.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited March 2017
    I have gotten an error message for the last two days when trying to get the update:
    Update Error!
    An error occurred in retrieving update information. Please try again later. 

I rebooted Quicken and it didn't help. Other suggestions or explanations?
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    keoki said:

Your may want to add your Vote for the ability to carry forward report formats from other versions .

First, click on the underlined link above to go there, then click VOTE at the top of THAT page, so your will vote count for THIS feature and increase its visibility to the developers.

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2018
    With this release, I can no longer open some of my scheduled transactions. I click on them but nothing happens. Also, my AMEX account no longer shows upcoming transactions even though I have it set to show all transactions in the next 14 days. I've rebooted Quicken and the computer several times but nothing changes.
  • Snoopy FC
    Snoopy FC Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016

With this release, I can no longer open some of my scheduled transactions. I click on them but nothing happens. Also, my AMEX account no longer shows upcoming transactions even though I have it set to show all transactions in the next 14 days. I've rebooted Quicken and the computer several times but nothing changes.

In case you haven't already, you might want to use the "report a problem" feature under the help menu so that the developers get the additional info they need to diagnose and fix the issue you're having.  I've submitted a few things this way and it's a good tool.  
  • Snoopy FC
    Snoopy FC Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2017

I dearly, dearly miss the ability of a two line registry display. I like to show most of the columns and its just too wide. Please bring a two line display like the windows version. I have friends that are holding of going to the Mac version because of that

I'd also add that I think you're market is way bigger than just the millennial generation.  There isn't a human alive who couldn't use a good financial management tool and Quicken is still it.  I seriously looked at other options after QM2007 and was thrilled when Quicken decided to get serious about this product again.  I'm no millennial and I'm in.  Please keep making it better and better.  
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2016

Thanks Hydro. Yes, I have submitted the problem. I hope they fix it soon. :-)
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016

What version of Mac OS are you using and where is your data file stored? Make sure this is not your problem : https://www.quicken.com/support/quicken-mac-slow-or-freezes-when-updating-transactions-mac-os-1012-s...

Though the issues mentioned only talk about slowness of freezing, it has also been reported to produce errors with Scheduled Transactions.

If you do have Sierra, make sure your data file is not in a folder synced to iCloud. If so, turn if off for that folder or move your data file.

Let us know if this is at all related. 

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2016

Thanks Smayer. We are on Yosemite (10.10.5).
  • Diane Just
    Diane Just Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    I am currently using QM 2007 and recently purchased Quicken for Mac 2017.  I hate it but change is hard so I will adjust.  However, I cannot move on until I am able to produce the following report.  I use classes and subclasses to track expenditures for certain purposes.  I need to do a report from one account that takes all transactions marked with that class or subclass, including transfers in and out, and have a total by subclass and class.  The report needs to cover the entire period - in my case it is almost 20 years.  Attached is a screen shot of a report from a test file I use for trying stuff out. In QM2007 I can drill down to see the transactions.  I don't have to do that at this point, but I do absolutely need to have the total.

So, how do I accomplish this with QM 2017?  
  • newcastlelinda
    newcastlelinda Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Hi Diane,

This might do what you want.
    1. In the top tabs, click on Reports and select Category Summary.
    2. Click on the Customize button on the top right.
    3. Click on the Accounts tab and select just the account you want.
    4. Now click on the Tags tab and select All or None (does the same thing).
    5. While still in the Tags tab, notice the pull down that says "Include only transactions with (Any/All) of the selected tags.  Make sure it says what you want (probably Any).
    6. At the bottom of the Customize screen, click Save as custom report if you want that.
    7. Click Ok.
    8. On the top right side, but not the very top, there is a pull down menu "Update view to show me:".  Select what you want; try a "Summary of all categories", and then try "Details for all categories".
    Let me know if this is what you want, and if not, what I have missed.

Good luck; I'm also still using both QM2007 and QM2016/QM2017.  I have been keeping both updated this whole year.  Hoping that soon I can fully commit to QM2017, but not yet.

Linda in California (Newcastlelinda)
    Quicken Mac Subscription - iMac - Quicken Mac user since 1994
  • newcastlelinda
    newcastlelinda Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2016

Hi Diane,

This might do what you want.

1. In the top tabs, click on Reports and select Category Summary.
    2. Click on the Customize button on the top right.
    3. Click on the Accounts tab and select just the account you want.
    4. Now click on the Tags tab and select All or None (does the same thing).
    5. While still in the Tags tab, notice the pull down that says "Include only transactions with (Any/All) of the selected tags.  Make sure it says what you want (probably Any).
    6. At the bottom of the Customize screen, click Save as custom report if you want that.
    7. Click Ok.
    8. On the top right side, but not the very top, there is a pull down menu "Update view to show me:".  Select what you want; try a "Summary of all categories", and then try "Details for all categories".
    Let me know if this is what you want, and if not, what I have missed.

Good luck; I'm also still using both QM2007 and QM2016/QM2017.  I have been keeping both updated this whole year.  Hoping that soon I can fully commit to QM2017, but not yet.

Linda in California (Newcastlelinda)
    no, this is incorrect; this doesn't total by Class, it just totals the class (Tag) within each category.  Back to the drawing board.
    Quicken Mac Subscription - iMac - Quicken Mac user since 1994
This discussion has been closed.