Quicken for Mac 2016 v3.5.3 Released

Comments

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2016
    RCinNJ said:

Don't worry, you are entitled to updates. I didn't buy mine through the App Store so I'm not sure why it is not there (maybe because the latest version is 2017), but if you click on the word Quicken in the Menu bar you should see the dropdown menu that includes "Check for Updates". This should get you to the update download. If you purchased less than a month ago you are probably entitled to the 2017 version which has the same bug fixes as 2016 3.5.3 plus some new features. Not sure how you go about getting 2017 as a free upgrade, but I'm sure someone else does.

Very strange. I'm seeing the link to "check for updates". image
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2016
    RCinNJ said:

Don't worry, you are entitled to updates. I didn't buy mine through the App Store so I'm not sure why it is not there (maybe because the latest version is 2017), but if you click on the word Quicken in the Menu bar you should see the dropdown menu that includes "Check for Updates". This should get you to the update download. If you purchased less than a month ago you are probably entitled to the 2017 version which has the same bug fixes as 2016 3.5.3 plus some new features. Not sure how you go about getting 2017 as a free upgrade, but I'm sure someone else does.

When I click on Register Quicken..it just give me the main menu...I'm already registered through the App Store.   I also highly doubt Quicken will let me update to 2017. It's such a pain. I had Quicken Essential. I had to update it to Quicken 2016 because when I updated to Sierra, Essential stopped working. It would have been very nice if Quicken a friendly reminder to folks about Essential not being compatible with Sierra. But of course not. So it forced people to update to 2016. This is probably another marketing ploy to force people to update to 2017 and pay about $70+ dollar. So not happy with this. Seriously starting to figure out how to move off of Quicken. 
  • RCinNJ
    RCinNJ Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    RCinNJ said:

Sorry I misled you. I heard there were slight differences between the menus in the app store version and the direct download. This must be one. Seems like a very bad practice. I'd suggest contacting support if you don't get an answer here.
  • RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited December 2016
    RCinNJ said:

Apps purchased through the Apple App Store are updated by clicking App Store in the Apple Menu, then the Updates button at the top right. If the update is available, you should see it there. Update in the Mac App Store take longer than regular updates to be released due to Apple's review process. You may just have to wait a little longer. (That's why I never purchase through the App Store unless it's the only way.)
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2016
    RCinNJ said:

I see I see...I'll wait a few days to see if it shows up in the App Store. Thanks for the help guys. Still wish Quicken would get their act together. I've been using the software for a few new years now. Every time there's an update to the OS or to the app...there's always some weird hiccups. These "hiccups" always ends up with people having to buy an "updated" version of the software. It's a weird ploy to get people to buy their software. Just be upfront about it. Make it a subscription and let people decide if they want to pay $70+ dollar per year for a single App. (MS Office is only ~$70/yr. And that's their whole suites of software.  Not one single app.) I hope someone in Quicken reads this. I'm sure I'm not the only frustrated (soon to be former) customer. 
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    RCinNJ said:

First, the good news...if you bought QM2016 less than 60 days ago you ARE entitled to a free upgrade to QM2017. You simply have to contact Quicken Support and they will take care of you. https://www.quicken.com/support

As for the other issue, NO software can be guaranteed to work with future updates of an operating system. It is up to the user to do their homework to make sure their software version or computer will work. It is NOT Quicken or anyone else's fault. You have to understand that owning a computer requires that you know what is involved. You do not blame Apple when a new version of Mac OS comes out if it requires more memory because your computer did not ship with enough when you bought it do you? Or the car dealer because they sold you a car without snow tires and you live in a snowy or icy climate in the winter? 

No one required you to upgrade your Mac OS to Sierra. That was your choice. It is up to you to therefore know what the implications of that is. 

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2016
    RCinNJ said:

Thanks for the suggestion to contact support to see about getting to Quicken 2017. I’ll look in to that. 

As far as your analogies for upgrades...they’re flawed. 

1) You’re assuming that every computer user is an expert user and know to check their system for compatibility with 3rd party software before a major OS upgrade. That’s like saying that every car owner knows what to look for if theres a factory recall for some parts in their vehicle. Not everyone is an expert user. Most people, like the folks using this specific software to keep tabs on their household, won’t know what to even look for in terms of “compatibility”.

2) When a new major operating system comes out, there’s plenty of notifications and marketing materials that goes out to notify owners that they might need more memory. Also, even if a major operating system does come out, it’s usually compatible with the machines from 1-2 cycles before. And if say I purchased a machine with the old OS in March and in April, a new OS comes out making my machine in March obsolete...trust me, people would be up in arms about that. That’s like saying that I buy a car in March that gets 35miles/gallon and in April, there was some factory update to the car system software that made the car run at 20miles/gallon. I’m sure people will be lining up to sue the car manufacturer. 

3) Car dealer / snow tire analogy... that’s not a 1:1 comparison to a OS vs. a third party app. Let me try to untangle your logic here.  You’re saying that Car Dealer (Apple) is not responsible for me NOT buying snow tires (3rd party app) if I (the buyer) knows that I need snow tire in order to operate the car.  If that’s your line of logic than sure, that makes sense. BUT it doesn’t correlate to what I’m saying in this specific case. I’m saying snow tire maker (quicken) should have told people that ...hey you’re buying our tires that will work for the 2016 model of the car but it’s not going to work for the 2017 model that’s coming out in 2 weeks. We will have new tires specific for that model. Don’t waste your money buying the version that will not work with the 2017 model. Because you’re about to upgrade your car to the 2017 model. 

The whole “well the consumer should have known better” is frankly appalling. Back to my point #1. When it comes to tech, bio-meds, financial products, and food, the consumer is not going to be 100% knowledgable. It’s simply unrealistic. and as a business, if that’s the stance then it’s just not smart. Consumers will bail out if they’re not well taken care of. 

Anyway, thanks again for the tip on support. I did contact them as I was writing this. They wanted me to input my info into their system to get the upgrade to 2017 version for free. I wasn’t comfortable inputting my info in to the Quicken database. I made the purchase through the Apple App Store where my info is already stored.  

Good luck to everyone. I think it’s time for me to find a new software to do my book keepings. 

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    RCinNJ said:

And you missed my point entirely. When you buy a car, it is up to you to know how to operate it. The dealer is not responsible to instruct you. But if you choose not to take responsibility, you will continue to blame everyone else for what you do not know, expecting that it is their responsibility to tell you. 

With the many examples you use, the only reason you know about some of these things is because there are so many people using these products, there are a lot of eyes and ears out there that are sharing the info.

Well, be sure you look into what the requirements are for the new software you buy. 

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2016
    RCinNJ said:

No I got your point. You’re basically saying that that the consumer should be 100% aware of what they’re buying and always be aware of when their product becomes incompatible. That is your point right? If so, that’s just not realistic. Your car analogy doesn’t correlate. 

A car dealer has nothing to do with the actual product (car). They just sell the car. If the car blows up down the highway, the car manufacturer is responsible. Not the dealer. 

You’re also correct that there are a lot of people out there talking about this. Talking about it AFTER the fact. 

https://www.consumeraffairs.com/computers/intuit_quicken.html

My point, since you’re not getting it, is that yes the consumer should know what they’re are buying. They should be aware of if something is going to work or not work with something that they already have. However, if there’s a lack of info or clarity around it, it’s up to the manufacturer to take some responsibilities to inform their (loyal) customers. Quicken is a big piece of software. Apple releases many dev and beta versions of their OS before it goes to general market. You mean to tell me that Quicken can’t simply send out a note to their customers to tell them, “hey your version right not work with the new OS coming out, so you should think about updating our new app to support it.” Is that too much to ask? (apparently so)  

Anyway, I assume you’re a champion for Quicken based on your username/handle. So there’s no point in debating this. I just hope someone in Quicken is monitoring this thread and try to do better for their customers. 

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    RCinNJ said:

I agree with you that "Quicken [should] ...try to do better for their customers." There are many things I can point to, and yes, communication is one of them. But tell me where are they suppose to draw the line? QEM? QM2007, QM2006, QM2005, QM2004.... you get the point I hope. QEM has been a discontinued product since Nov 2015. Why would you expect further communication regarding a discontinued product? So they draw the line at supported products, which QEM has not been for almost a year before Sierra was released.

Maybe my analogies are no the greatest...but bottom line is you have to be realistic. No consumer can be 100% aware...that is not what I said...but when the consumer does not know, it is up to them to find out. And when it comes to software, the basics are simple...find out what is compatible or not before you use it. That has always been the case. 

• RCinNJ
    RCinNJ Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    RCinNJ said:

“hey your version might not work with the new OS coming out, so you should think about updating our new app to support it.” This is where I completely agree with you that Quicken is doing a terrible job. It wants to be perceived as the major Mac Accounting Program, but acts like a dinky little company (which it may be). One example of a program where the developers do it right is Parallels which I use for some non-Mac business programs. Whenever a new Mac version comes out I get emails all the time telling me if I will need a free upgrade before updating or if the OS change will require a paid upgrade and not to upgrade the OS until I'm ready to update Parallels. That is good customer service which seems like a no-brainer when a company has a data base of its customers from which to do virtually cost-free communication. Acts as free advertising too, which makes it smart of Parallels to communicate with its customers and make them feel valued.
  • RCinNJ
    RCinNJ Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    RCinNJ said:

"But tell me where are they suppose to draw the line? QEM? QM2007, QM2006, QM2005, QM2004....". My point is that if they have any kind of modern data base then sending emails is a no brainer. They should keep telling older customers that they will need to upgrade if they are going to move to a new OS. That's good customer relations, good marketing, and more likely to get customers to upgrade than leave for a competitor. And if a modern accounting software company doesn't have the data base? Would I stay at a bank that didn't have services that every competitor has and makes my life easier? At least with a bank I can see if they don't have access to ATM's or online banking, but when Quicken doesn't communicate is it because they don't have the ability or the desire?
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2016
    RCinNJ said:

Thank you RCinNJ - You've captured my frustration perfectly. 

Also, "And when it comes to software, the basics are simple...find out what is compatible or not before you use it. "-------- That's a very bold assumption. Ask anyone over 50yrs old if "software are simple". 
  • RCinNJ
    RCinNJ Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    RCinNJ said:

Thank you. And understand that I am a user who has been waiting since QM2007 for the developers to both get the program together and learn how to do customer relations. Quicken Marcus seems to really care, but I don't know what support he is getting within the company.

I've been on the fence for years on whether to give up and commit to a different program. I don't want to spend weeks bringing over my data, fixing errors in translation and learning a new program. I believe many other users have felt the same or Quicken would have a customer base today too small to continue development. In the past the weaknesses in the other Mac accounting programs I've looked at have held me back. After all, Quicken is making slow progress, why go with another flawed program when I don't know who will continue developing their's with the most energy and commitment?

I did download Banktivity, but have not installed it. I really want Quicken to succeed, but I am getting close to switching. However, IGG Software does not maintain a Banktivity forum. I am impressed that Quicken has kept this forum as a way for users to communicate, and help each other, even with all the anti Quicken talk here.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2016
    RCinNJ said:

Yes, it's too bad there aren't good alternative to Quicken out there. The pain in migrating your data over from Quicken to anything else is also very frustrating. I can't see why you can't just have it in an XML. It's the backward logic of Quicken to lock people to a propriety file format. I get the more detailed info can’t be exported but just the simple top line input should be a simple table. It also makes it difficult to import say an Excel. 

I’ve tried a few other apps in the past. Bankitivity and Moneydance. There’s was one other one too. (I forget the name at the moment) They were “ok”. What I found to be the biggest hold back for those are the basics user interface. Hopefully a decent alternative can come to market at some point. 

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2018
    @Marcus is there an eta to enable rename rules? I'm pretty surprised leaving Mint recently for Quicken Mac to see this doesn't exist. (as well as comments asking about this years ago on this forum)
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2016
    Problem with Quicken Mac 3.5.3 on Mac Ios Sierra 10.12.1 - Quicken updated after the release, I must admit a little reluctantly because with every other release, I have had problems syncing.  This release has been no different.  Everything that I had - previously synced with no problem, I now get error messages saying "Transaction Sync Errors"  - so I continue to 'reset the mobile transactions - for the past 8 hours now it's been "updating transactions" with no apparent resolution.  So, I 'forced quit' and tried updating a single account - once again "Transaction Sync Error" - online balances are updated, but no transactions are downloaded from ANY account.  

The one set of accounts from WellsFargo I have to continually update the username and password in order to do anything.  

I'd like to be able to 'reset' the cloud data, but as I said, the download hangs up. 

What to do?  Any suggestions?
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2016
    DonHoyt said:

Apple required me to update to Sierra, which made Quicken Essentials obsolete. Now I have to update Quiken. Should I update to Q16 or Q17?

Since downloading 3.5.3 I can't reconcile my accounts properly. Several of them are off by thousands of dollars and I can't go in to manually correct. Just adding an adjustment that big for credit cards we use for business is not acceptable to the IRS. I was to the penny on all 6 accounts before the upgrade (or downgrade in my opinion). And Quicken is not open on weekends when most of us use the software at home. And Chase doesn't support 2015 yet.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016

@Marcus is there an eta to enable rename rules? I'm pretty surprised leaving Mint recently for Quicken Mac to see this doesn't exist. (as well as comments asking about this years ago on this forum)

No one can or will answer any question about timing of if/when a feature will be available. That said, you can VOTE for the feature to Have Local Rules for Renaming Payees, here: https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/add-option-to-have-local-rules-for-renaming-paye...

First, click on the link above to go there, then click VOTE at the top of THAT page, so your will vote count for THIS feature and increase its visibility to the developers.

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    DonHoyt said:

Apple required me to update to Sierra, which made Quicken Essentials obsolete. Now I have to update Quiken. Should I update to Q16 or Q17?

Unfortunately, there is no shortcut to resolving this issue except to do the hard work of tracking down the discrepancies. The other option to go back to v3.4.1 or earlier is may be too far gone as you cannot just open your data file with it (if you could) because of database format changes.

The only way to revert back to v3.4.1 or earlier is to use an old data file and re-enter data since then (v3.5 came out in August 2016, so you would have to go back to around then).

Though this does not address your immediate problem, you can VOTE for the feature to track/store Prior Reconciled Statements/periods, here: https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/add-ability-to-track-store-prior-reconciled-stat... which would make it far easier to track down where discrepancies are.

First, click on the link above to go there, then click VOTE at the top of THAT page, so your will vote count for THIS feature and increase its visibility to the developers.

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2016
    After updating I can no longer download any transactions from Chase.  I have to force quit every time.
  • RCinNJ
    RCinNJ Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2017
    I am using QM2016 3.5.3. Might be a temporary glitch on Chase's or Quicken's part. I usually have no problem. Just tried and my Chase accounts using Quicken Connect are not downloading, but my one account using Direct Connect is downloading. However, there are other accounts using Quicken Connect that are downloading OK.

Also I have not had a problem with freezing so it may be something additional in your system. Have you tried restarting your computer and/or running Disk Utility, or other Mac voodoo of your choice?

I am going to restart my computer to see if that frees something up.
  • RCinNJ
    RCinNJ Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Well, I should never assume it's not Quicken's fault. Sorry. Today Chase is still not downloading through Quicken Connect for me. I called Chase tech support and they say they can see my authorization on their side so it is Quicken. 

My one Chase account that works today uses Direct Connect. I tried switching one account from Quicken to Direct, but it appears to still need to go through Quicken's servers and is giving a "Server communication error" which says "Quicken encountered an error while communicating with our servers", which I take as an admission that it is on their end.

As I said in my post above I have other accounts (at different institutions) that are using Quicken Connect fine, so it appears to be a Chase/Quicken combination problem.
  • RCinNJ
    RCinNJ Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Well here's a thing which shows how hard it is for single user's to trouble shoot. Maybe it just got fixed by Quicken or it is something else. Instead of going to Settings and choosing "Change connection type", I deactivated downloads on one of my Chase accounts and used the Options to choose Direct Connect. It worked perfectly. But here's the weird part-- so did all the others using Quicken Connect! Either Quicken fixed this problem in that few minutes, or something about changing one Chase account to Direct Connect allowed Quicken to see all the other Chase accounts using Quicken Connect.
  • RCinNJ
    RCinNJ Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2017
    If anyone else is experiencing these problems I just figured out how to switch from Quicken Connect to Direct Connect. I had tried to use the "Change connection type" button under settings which lead to my errors above. Instead I deactivated my accounts one by one and (after typing "Chase" for institution) clicked the Options button and chose Direct Connect. Working perfectly.... for now...
  • Clare
    Clare Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    This release has fixed the terrible slowness in the investment part of Quicken Mac. It used to take a good 15 seconds to switch to investments from cash/credit. Manually entering transactions would incur a spinning beach ball for many seconds - same with reconciling. This has magically disappeared. I was thinking a computer upgrade was necessary but now not so much. Thank you Quicken!
  • Gary Sorley
    Gary Sorley Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    DonHoyt said:

My bank accounts are all listed now as "Dead".  And, they slowly "died" beginning in mid November after the 18th.  Quicken cannot contact the accounts in Wells Fargo Bank, they just keep coming back as "dead".  However, my Credit Cards and Brokerage are all performing normal.    
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2018
    Prior to the update, my account reconciled to the penny.  After the update, the ending balance changed, and now I have to accept and "adjustment" to make it balance.  I'm very careful to ensure my account accurately balances to the penny every month, so I don't want an incorrect adjustment.  It looks like this has happened to others as well.  Is there a fix for this?
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    CRobinson said:

Prior to the update, my account reconciled to the penny.  After the update, the ending balance changed, and now I have to accept and "adjustment" to make it balance.  I'm very careful to ensure my account accurately balances to the penny every month, so I don't want an incorrect adjustment.  It looks like this has happened to others as well.  Is there a fix for this?

The first fix is to make sure you have v3.5.4 which fixes one bug that affects some users. Other than that, Quicken claims there are no other outstanding bugs regarding this but rather the new process "reveals" that there is a discrepancy in past transactions that needs to be resolved. This can be either a transaction that lost its reconciled status or that may have accidentally been deleted or some other issue. It appears the only solution is brute force to track down the discrepancy. See if this article helps: https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/quicken-mac-v3-5-reconcile-troubleshooting

Though this does not address your immediate problem, you can VOTE for the feature to Track/store Prior Reconciled Statements/periods which would make it far easier to track down where discrepancies are, reducing this effort to seconds or minutes rather hours, days, or even weeks.

First, click on the link above to go there, then click VOTE at the top of THAT page, so your will vote count for THIS feature and increase its visibility to the developers.

While you are at it, you may want to add your VOTE to related IDEAS found on the List of Requests for Downloading Data into Quicken. Click on the underlined link, then follow the instructions to add your vote to more related ideas.

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited February 2017

I just did another "experiment" and tried downloading just from one account and it quickly did its mission. So I tried all accounts again and it eventually worked but certainly was hung up of for minutes while doing the box "updating transactions-please wait". Maybe it will not occur again...

50% of the time when I quit Quicken 2017, I get the box (delayed a little) that tells me I have to force quit Quicken (which I do and it does not seem to affect the files next time I reopen.  Is this the same force quit problem you had?  Wish I knew how to remedy it.
This discussion has been closed.