Quicken for Mac 2017 v4.4.1 Released

Quicken Marcus
Quicken Marcus Employee ✭✭✭✭
I’m excited to announce the release of Quicken 2017 v4.4.1 which includes a bunch of small features that many of you have been asking us to implement for years.   Sorry it’s taken this long. 

Please reply and comment on this forum post and let us know if you find any new issues while using 4.4 or if you’d like any improvements to the features we just added.  We’ll be monitoring this forum post so adding issues here helps us find and fix the problems faster.

In this release, we’ve added:
  • Auto-Backup – This is the number one requested feature from our quicken.com voting page.  We’ve implemented a basic version of this for now.  You can set the location and we’ll automatically maintain the 5 most recent files.  Backup kicks off after one quits.  Let us know what you think.
  • New Transaction Account Sidebar Indicator - Blue dots now appear on the sidebar to indicate which accounts have new transactions.  Note that we decided to implement this in a way that it works independently of the “reviewed” status of transactions.  The idea is that we didn’t want to force people to review their transactions.  Hovering over the blue dot will display the number of last downloaded transactions.  This number isn’t always reliable so in the next release we’re going to improve the count.
  • Orange Pencil Fix – You can now mark the orange pencil as reviewed and eliminate them.  Yeah!  We fixed a bunch of stuff in this area.  The orange pencil doesn’t show up on new transactions in manual accounts since all transactions are manual.  We didn’t want to retroactively dismiss the orange pencils but you can use the new Mark All as Reviewed feature to get rid of them with one click.  In downloaded accounts, you can also Mark all Downloaded Transactions as Reviewed which doesn’t affect the orange pencil.  The work flow we envision is that people will want to clear all their blue dots after reviewing them but they won’t want to clear the orange pencils so they can see what transactions haven’t been matched yet.  However, if you really want to hide the orange pencil you can do this now by clicking on it and selecting Reviewed.
  • Preference to Turn Off Auto-Opening Splits -  We’ve added a preference so you can turn off auto-opening of splits in the registers and/or the reconcile screen.  They are 2 separate preferences so you can keep it on in the register and turn it off in reconcile or define whatever combination you want.
We also made a bunch of report enhancements. 
  • Export or Copy from Report – We added the export feature to the new comparison and summary reports so you can move the report into a spreadsheet for further analysis or better printing.
  • Print Scaling – Speaking of printing, we added the ability to scale a report in the print dialog so you can get more on a page.  It’s probably not as flexible as many of you want but it’s a step in the right direction.
  • Summary Report Total Column -  We added a total column to the summary report.
  • Prior Period – We added a new comparison report custom date option called Prior Period.  We had Prior Year Period which works great if you want to compare between 2 years but sometimes you also want to compare with the previous period.  For example, this month and last month or this quarter and last quarter.
  • Comparison Report Difference Column Style Changes – We’ve been trying to figure out the right way to color code the difference column and to display the right sign.  The goal is to allow people to quickly spot issues that need to be addressed.  We’ve gone back and forth on what to do.  With the help of our beta testers, we’ve decided to color code “good” things as green and “not so good” things as red.  What this means is that if your income increases or if you spend less in a category the difference will be green.  If you make less income or spend more, the difference color is red.  We have also decided to hide zero values to reduce visual clutter and allow one to quickly see only the line items that change.  We also wrestled a lot with the sign. Other products turn expenses into positives in this report.  This works for category reports that have the concept of income and expense but doesn’t really work for tag or payee reports.  Because of this, we decided to keep it simple and keep expenses as negatives in this report and to not try to manipulate the math.
This release has tons and tons of other stuff too including some great bug fixes. 
  • We used to have an Edit Budget limitation where we didn’t allow editing a budget 2 years out from the current year.  This didn’t make any sense so we eliminated that limitation.
  • We found a reconcile bug that had to do with manually entered transactions that get matched or posted after the reconcile period.  This is fixed in 4.4.
  • We found a bug in our payee name code which could result in weird payee names occurring when we convert them from what the bank sends us to something more understandable.  This should be a lot better in this release.
  • Fixed the top crashing issue including one that occurred when clicking on a future scheduled transaction in the calendar view.  Thanks to the forum customer who described his hypothesis on why it crashed.  Because of his description, I was able to reproduce the bug which allowed one of our developers to find and fix the problem.
Thanks again,
Marcus
Twitter:@softwaremarcus

Comments

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Nice new features. Great that these items are being addressed. I only wish they were implemented completely.

Auto-Backup: why could it not be implemented with the option to choose how many backup copies, like in QM2007?

New Transaction Account Sidebar Indicator: What is the criteria that makes the blue dot go away? Without that piece of information how are we to know what it means, if it is working correctly, or what the process is to manage or control it?

Preference to Turn Off Auto-Opening Splits: why could this not be implemented to control separately the behaviour when open a split vs when to close a split, like in QM2007, and how it was requested 3 1/2 months ago here: Expanding split transactions  and detailed here?

I like some of these improvements but I would strongly suggest that when you implement a feature that has existed before, like in QM2007, that you make it at least as complete as the original, If you choose to improve on it and add more, that is great. But to deliver less than the original is simply frustrating! I can understand delivering a feature in multiple stages when it is more complex but I just do not see the reason for these partial implementations, especially if the feature is a small one. 

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• Concordman
    Concordman Mac Beta Beta
    edited November 2018
     Adding additional backups when no further data has been entered is not useful. Something to think about for future modifications:)
  • Snoopy FC
    Snoopy FC Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Love the ability to not open the splits in the reconcile window.  Definitely helps in the workflow on that page.  
    QMac Subscription - iMac - Quicken Mac user since 1995
  • Snoopy FC
    Snoopy FC Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    With respect to budget printing capabilities, I appreciate the scaling feature, and think things could be improved by allowing the user to select what to print.  You'll find more details on this idea here: https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/add-ability-to-choose-months-yearly-data-for-budget-prints-reports
  • Snoopy FC
    Snoopy FC Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016

Adding additional backups when no further data has been entered is not useful. Something to think about for future modifications:)

Agree.  Just save a backup when data has been added.  
  • Snoopy FC
    Snoopy FC Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Thanks for adding the totals column to the summary report.  Like having that visible.  
  • Snoopy FC
    Snoopy FC Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Overall thanks for adding in these improvements.  Looking forward to seeing a major improvement in handling loans (loan amortization) in the near future.  
  • RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited December 2016

Nice new features. Great that these items are being addressed. I only wish they were implemented completely.

Auto-Backup: why could it not be implemented with the option to choose how many backup copies, like in QM2007?

New Transaction Account Sidebar Indicator: What is the criteria that makes the blue dot go away? Without that piece of information how are we to know what it means, if it is working correctly, or what the process is to manage or control it?

Preference to Turn Off Auto-Opening Splits: why could this not be implemented to control separately the behaviour when open a split vs when to close a split, like in QM2007, and how it was requested 3 1/2 months ago here: Expanding split transactions  and detailed here?

I like some of these improvements but I would strongly suggest that when you implement a feature that has existed before, like in QM2007, that you make it at least as complete as the original, If you choose to improve on it and add more, that is great. But to deliver less than the original is simply frustrating! I can understand delivering a feature in multiple stages when it is more complex but I just do not see the reason for these partial implementations, especially if the feature is a small one. 

It appears that the blue "new downloads" dot disappears as soon as you view and then leave the account's register whether or not you make any changes there. I'm okay with that.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • RickO
    edited March 2017
    Lot's of great stuff in this update. Thanks!

It would be nice if there were a menu item in the View menu for "Show Split Detail" which would cause the display of split detail without opening the transaction for edit. One could then assign a keyboard shortcut for easy access.
  • J_Mike
    J_Mike SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016

Keep in mind that just opening a file can result in changes.
    Example; display of scheduled transactions in registers is updated.
    I suspect there are other "updates" behind the scene.
    QWin & QMac (Deluxe) Subscription
    Quicken user since 1991

• Quicken Marcus
    edited December 2016

Overall, our goal is to release base line functionality and then to hear back from the community about what they would like tweaked or added.   The blue dot works like the blue dot on QWin.  It simply indicates that the account has new transactions.   As I mention above, it is not currently tied to the blue dots in the transaction list because we didn't want  to force users to mark their blue dots as reviewed since many people don't want to do this extra work.  It disappears when you go to the account.
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited December 2016
    Snoopy FC said:

With respect to budget printing capabilities, I appreciate the scaling feature, and think things could be improved by allowing the user to select what to print.  You'll find more details on this idea here: https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/add-ability-to-choose-months-yearly-data-for-budget-prints-reports

Thanks for creating the idea post.  Can you tell me more about why you print the budget? I guess the reason printing is low on our priority list is because we don't fully understand the scenarios for printing the budget out.  Is it to keep a record of the budget and you file it away? Is it easier to read when printed?  Or do you have to print it out to share with someone else?  Just want to better understand the overall work flow.
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited December 2016

Yup.  We should only save if some data has changed.  We'll see if we can figure that out easily.  I was also chatting with my team today and I was thinking I would like for only one backup to be saved per day.  In other words if I open and quit Quicken 3 times, I don't want 3 different backups.  I only want 1.  Does anyone else like this idea?
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited October 2018
    Interesting idea.  So if I'm understanding this request correctly, you want to have a key command to see the split pop-over instead of being forced to pop open the edit view.
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited March 2017
    Interesting idea.  So if I'm understanding this request correctly, you want to have a key command to see the split pop-over instead of being forced to pop open the edit view.
  • RickO
    edited December 2016

Only if that's at user's option. Better would be to allow the user to choose how many backups are saved.
  • RickO
    edited December 2016

Correct. Not that big of a deal though.
  • Snoopy FC
    Snoopy FC Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Snoopy FC said:

There are a few reasons to print the budget.  They include the following: 
    1. to compare estimated spending for a new year to previous years (one or more years/recent history) in order to prepare the next annual budget.  It's helpful to have a hard copy to markup so that I can then make the changes within the budget window.
    2. to discuss spending during the month/year to date with my wife

The mobile app could be used to cover the second item if it allowed me to see the current year.  Right now, it is limited to only the current month.  I posted an idea about that here: https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/add-option-to-show-yearly-as-well-as-monthly-budget-in-mobile-app-mac   It'd be great to be able to switch between current month or current year.  

Hope that helps.  
  • Snoopy FC
    Snoopy FC Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016

I'd only want one for that day if and only if it is the most current.  I also like the idea of being able to choose the number of backups saved.  
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016

It does NOT work the way it works in QWin OR in QM2007. There, the indicaor is persistent and is tied to the completing of a task. The task is that of processing all the downloaded transactions, through a matching and acceptance workflow; not simply identifying that there are transactions from the last time downloaded.

Even as you describe it for v4.4, it disappears when you go to the account?! So it is VERY temporary; and in my mind, and in the minds of MANY other users, of very limited use.

In ALL other versions of Quicken, the account download indicator is persistent UNTIL there is an objectively based action by the user as part of a managed workflow. As I have described in Beta testing, without the context of a transactions downloading acceptance and matching workflow that all other versions of Quicken have, as described here, Restore Transactions Downloading Acceptance and Matching workflow to Quicken for Mac, you will be hard-pressed to have a persistent indicator that can be used to manage one's workflow with an objective criteria as to when to clear the indicator. Yet, as described and requested here, QMac2016: Download Flags for New Transactions, what users have indicated is they desire a persistent indicator...not one that goes away simply by visiting an account. 

The second most requested feature here, only second to built-in loan amortization, is the restoration of the above-mentioned workflow. Without this workflow option, the criteria for clearing of this flag will be very subjective and it will be hard to meet the needs of all individuals. I'm not sure why this workflow needs to be re-invented, especially since it works SO well in other versions, and meets the needs of users. And if implemented as in QWin, users have the choice of having how it works now, via auto-acceptance of downloaded transactions, or having the to manually accept transactions after careful review. 

Until that workflow is put into place, I think discussion on how this indicator should work is pre-mature and lacks enough context. It's like the cart is before the horse.

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016

Would be nice to have it save only if there are changes.

@Marcus, taking your idea further, I would suggest the options as follows:
    - save at [most, least] 'X' times in 'Y' [hours, days]

This way, you can put either a cap in a selected time period with the 'at most' option, or a timed trigger with the 'at least' option that always makes a back-up even if Quicken is left open for hours or days at a time, as many users are in the habit of doing.

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016

At the very least, there should be a keyboard shortcut to open/close a split transaction at any time, like in QM2007, as has been requested by users here: https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/expanding-split-transactions?topic-reply-list%5B...

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016

You can add your VOTE to Add More Options to Automatic Back-ups.

First
    , click on the underlined link above to go there, then click VOTE at the top of THAT page, so your will vote count for THIS feature and increase its visibility to the developers.

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

• cneal
    cneal Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016

If I had to remove the blue dot on the download to clear the blue dot on the accoount list I would be asking for a way to stop the blue dots from appearing on the account list.
  • RickO
    edited December 2016

Well, there already is a keyboard shortcut -- Cmd-Opt-S -- to open a split. Although it does open in edit mode, not a view-only mode. And the keyboard shortcut doesn't close the split, you have to hit Enter to do that. 

Would be nice if a single letter could be typed -- say S -- to expand split detail when a split transaction is selected but not open for edit. But give that we have Cmd-Opt-S and Enter to keep our hands on the keyboard, and give that we now have the ability to prevent splits from auto expanding, the heavy lifting has been done and I'm satisfied to put this on the back burner.
  • RickO
    edited December 2016

Personally I'm happy the way they implemented it in 4.4.1. I don't need a persistent reminder that "forces" me to complete some actions to get rid of it. I just need a short-term reminder to draw my attention to the account.
  • Snoopy FC
    Snoopy FC Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016

I like the sidebar indicator for accounts with new transactions, but would prefer a preference to keep it on until the new transactions in that account have been processed.  I think that would be more helpful in my case.  
  • J_Mike
    J_Mike SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016

Agree with RickO - the present implementation does exactly what I want. The blue flag draws my attention - then it is gone.
    Quicken user since 1991

• J_Mike
    J_Mike SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016

In QWin, one can hover the cursor over the category field of a split transaction entry and a popup window appears summarizing the split details. This works very well for my porposes.
    Quicken user since 1991

• RickO
    edited December 2016

So ideally, as SnoopyFC mentions, if the flag is made more persistent, it would be done as a user-selectable preference.
This discussion has been closed.