Restore Transactions Downloading Acceptance and Matching workflow to Quicken Mac (317 Legacy Votes)

Comments

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited January 2017
    Steven said:

Here's my take on the rewrite.  I'm pleased they built the product from the ground up. Especially since Apple continues to upgrade their OS.

However, it was a feature in the 2007 version and its a feature in the Widnows versions. It was in those versions because it was a great feature. They took 8 years to rebuild the program. Mac 2015 release should have come out of the box with more features as in the Windows versions.  

This method of having us vote for features is nice but they don't publish the voting results.  So it seems to me they just do what they want when they want instead of listening to their customers. The feature, manually accepting downloads, should be on the vote list if they are listening.

I have followed that link several times.  As far as I can tell there is no hyperlink in the Share Your Experience area.  However, when I do a search such as "quicken for mac getsat" i do find a list of about 12 issues to vote on.  The funny thing is that this issue is not in that list.  

Sometimes I get lucky with a search and find a similar or same issue I'm looking for support on and when there is the choice to "I have the same issue" or something close to that I do click the box.  I do have some success when looking under catergories and a few times my issues have not be reported before.

Anyway, I hope that Quicken engineering is looking at these suggestions and working on them. My main concern now is getting Quicken for Mac as feature rich as Quicken for Windows.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Steven said:

Here's my take on the rewrite.  I'm pleased they built the product from the ground up. Especially since Apple continues to upgrade their OS.

However, it was a feature in the 2007 version and its a feature in the Widnows versions. It was in those versions because it was a great feature. They took 8 years to rebuild the program. Mac 2015 release should have come out of the box with more features as in the Windows versions.  

This method of having us vote for features is nice but they don't publish the voting results.  So it seems to me they just do what they want when they want instead of listening to their customers. The feature, manually accepting downloads, should be on the vote list if they are listening.

Not sure why you are having trouble with the instructions on how to filter the IDEAS for only Quicken for Mac, but if you are trying to search for them, that is not the way. Please re-read the instructions.

Also, search on GetSat applies an either/or logic, that is, searching for 'quicken for mac getsat ' here on GetSat is like searching for 'quicken OR for OR mac OR getsat' and the results will list any thread that has any one of these words (though some common words like 'and', 'or'', 'of', 'for', etc are ignored). To alter that, you can use the AND operator or use quotation marks (" "). To learn more about how searching works on GetSat, see this article: https://getsatisfaction.com/getsatisfaction/topics/how_does_search_currently_work_in_get_satisfactio...

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• lhossus
    lhossus SuperUser, Mac Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Steven said:

To see the vote totals for all the IDEA postings, I did the following:
    1. https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity
    2. Click on the magnifying glass icon within the "Find or start a conversation" box.
    3. Click on the Advanced Search hyperlink below the Search Again button.
    4. Under Filter by Type, uncheck Questions, Problems, Praise, Announcements and Articles, leaving All the checkboxes in the Ideas column checked.
    5. Under Filter by Category, scroll down and check all the Quicken for Mac checkboxes.
    6. (Optional) Set Sorted by to Number of me-toos - highest first.
    7. You do not need to enter a search term.
    8. Click Search
    9. In the search results, you will find the vote count for each IDEA (the mouse-hover-over text calls it a me-to, but for IDEAs it shows the votes instead).
    10. To refine or re-do the search, click on the Advanced Search hyperlink and make any changes.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • macOS Monterey 12.6 on MacBook Pro 13" M1
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2016
    Steven said:

Thanks for the step by step.  Life is now easier and I can keep up with others who want to improve QM.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Steven said:

@lhossus that will also work. Thanks for sharing that step by step. The only thing to keep in mind is that you cannot save the settings using the advanced search approach. If you want to save the search criteria, use the "Share Your Expertise" approach in the link above.

Also, you may want to exclude the "implemented" IDEAS.

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2018
    The ability to review downloads bank and credit card transactions before I accept and categorize them (manually) helps greatly in quickly catching fraudulent charges. Seems to me this is a no-brained decision to add this valuable Windows feature to Mac.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2018
    How is this different from the reviewed/not reviewed feature? This seems almost the same but simpler
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    You may want to VOTE for the related feature request to warn when check # recorded in register does not match downloaded check, here: https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/match-downloaded-checks-to-checks-already-record...

First, click on the link above to go there, then click VOTE at the top of THAT page, so your will vote count for THIS feature and increase its visibility to the developers.

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016

How is this different from the reviewed/not reviewed feature? This seems almost the same but simpler

One main difference is that the transactions do not get recorded into your register until AFTER you have reviewed and accepted them. This means that downloaded transactions are not intermingled with other validated transactions that may have been entered manually. It means you can adjust info (payee, categorization) before it gets recorded. This enables identifying mismatched transactions and/or duplicates far more easily. And this way, your balances are not impacted until you have reviewed and accepted the transactions. 

The Reviewed/Not Reviewed feature also puts transactions out of context from the rest of the order of other transactions in the account register, which can make it more difficult to identify discrepancies.

Bottom line, the requested process provides far more control and visibility over what gets added to account registers.

• pauldv172
    pauldv172 Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018

And if I remember correctly, in quicken Windows 2013 the amount did not get added to the running balance until you marked reviewed
  • RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited December 2016

Personally, I find the two methods equivalent, so I don't really care if they implement the pre-review feature. 

And, there's one problem I see with pre-review (and wonder how it's handled in the windows version): That is, how do you handle matching downloaded transactions that appear in the review window to corresponding manually entered transactions that don't appear in the review window? 

For this reason, I think I like the workflow just the way it is, rather than go back to the QM2007 model. With the downloaded transactions placed in context in the register, and with an icon identifying that they are new, it's easy to match them with manually entered transactions (by drag and drop) in cases where they didn't match automatically.

This preference may be different for those (like me) who manually enter everything then expect the downloaded transactions to match vs those who download everything and only then assign categories, etc.

But I say, leave well enough alone. And if the pre-review feature is implemented, make it optional so that things can stay the same for those of us who like how it works now.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018

That is what this text above is for:
    Make it an option to either require manual acceptance or automatic recording into the register.
    It allows it to work both ways...BTW, that is how I know QWin works, providing users the choice either way. 

The above request is how QM2007 works and it works very well. Not providing that choice for Mac users takes away what some that find working with that approach far easier and with more control. 

The current process might work well when dealing with downloads shortly after but not so much for when there are multiple downloads to the same account (as in my case where I can sometimes have MANY months worth of downloads unprocessed when I fall behind).

@pauldv172 re:
    And if I remember correctly, in quicken Windows 2013 the amount did not get added to the running balance until you marked reviewed" 
    I do not have direct experience with QWin, so I cannot confirm.

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2016

I find the option of previewing transactions prior to 'accepting' them  into the registers an essential capability. It's very useful when matching previously entered transactions and to make changes (including adding/editing categorizations, etc.).  I've copied some of the available help text information to provide a better sense of the overall capability.  Also, there are several options to automate, accept all, etc. that make for a much better user experience than what is currently available in Mac.

Quicken assigns a Status to each downloaded transaction: 

For transactions marked New 

A status of New means that Quicken did not find a match for the downloaded transaction in the register.

To enter the downloaded transaction in the register, click Accept. 

If the downloaded transaction should be matched to a register transaction, click the Edit button, and then choose Match Manually. Quicken opens a window to allow you to select one or more transactions to match the transaction with. If you select more than one transaction, Quicken enters a split transaction in your account register with a single line for each selected transaction and a line for the difference in amounts, if any. 

For transactions marked Match 

A status of Match means that Quicken has found a match for the downloaded transaction in the register. This happens when you enter a transaction in advance of it being downloaded. For example, if you use Quicken Bill Pay or Quicken Reminders.

If the downloaded transaction is correctly matched to a register transaction, click Accept. 

If the downloaded transaction should not be matched to any register transaction, click the Edit button, and then choose Make New. Quicken changes the transaction's status to New. 

If the downloaded transaction is matched to the wrong register transaction, click the Edit button and then choose Unmatch. Quicken attempts to match the transaction again. If no transactions are close enough, Quicken changes the transaction's status to New. 

For transactions marked Updated 

To update the transaction information in your register, click Accept. If you prefer not to update the transaction, click Ignore instead. 

For transactions marked Canceled, Failed, or No Funds 

For transactions marked Canceled, Failed, or No Funds, click Accept. Quicken voids the transaction in your register. 

If you don't want to enter a downloaded transaction into your register, click the Edit button, and then choose Delete. When you've finished accepting transactions, click Done. 

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2016

And to answer the question that was posed:  New transactions are not included in account balances until after they are 'accepted' in QWin.
  • Snoopy FC
    Snoopy FC Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    pauldv172 said:

I agree.  My process is to check my receipts against the downloaded transactions and mark them as reviewed.  More difficult now with the auto matching.  Would vote to have this capability back.

I've grown more accustomed to the current workflow, but it could definitely be more helpful than it is currently.  
    QMac Subscription - iMac - Quicken Mac user since 1995
  • Ken Crafton
    Ken Crafton Member
    edited August 2018
    The transition to QM2017's 'Reviewed' 'Not Reviewed' status for downloaded transactions would be easier for QW users to accept if the Account List would put the familiar red flag next to accounts where QM downloaded new transactions.  We would then know which accounts to go into to review any newly downloaded transactions.  The red flag should remain on the account until all transactions have been changed from 'Not Reviewed' to 'Reviewed'.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018

The transition to QM2017's 'Reviewed' 'Not Reviewed' status for downloaded transactions would be easier for QW users to accept if the Account List would put the familiar red flag next to accounts where QM downloaded new transactions.  We would then know which accounts to go into to review any newly downloaded transactions.  The red flag should remain on the account until all transactions have been changed from 'Not Reviewed' to 'Reviewed'.

You can add your VOTE to Add indicator for accounts with downloaded transactions that need attention.

You may want to add your VOTE to related IDEAS found on the List of Requests for Downloading Data into Quicken.

First
    , click on each underlined link above to go there, then click VOTE at the top of THAT page, so your will vote count for THIS feature and increase its visibility to the developers.

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited May 2017
    pauldv172 said:

I agree.  My process is to check my receipts against the downloaded transactions and mark them as reviewed.  More difficult now with the auto matching.  Would vote to have this capability back.

You would think a company as large and successful as Intuit would ensure the Mac version was at least at functional parity with the nine year old Windows version.  But I guess not.
  • Carolyn Strecker
    Carolyn Strecker Member ✭✭
    edited September 2018
    JWL said:

The ability to review downloads bank and credit card transactions before I accept and categorize them (manually) helps greatly in quickly catching fraudulent charges. Seems to me this is a no-brained decision to add this valuable Windows feature to Mac.

Not to mention that this is a feature that was taken away--it's been a part of QM just about forever
  • Carolyn Strecker
    Carolyn Strecker Member ✭✭
    edited October 2017
    pauldv172 said:

The Mac version, which I have used for about 20 years, has never had parity with the Windows version. However, this particular feature WAS part of QM just about forever. It's one of the many features that have been taken away by the new build
  • Snoopy FC
    Snoopy FC Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    pauldv172 said:

The only thing we can do at this point to improve this program is VOTE for change (above) and stay engaged.  The developers are watching and hopefully listening.  

There are many in the quicken community who are still waiting for this product to meet their needs.  I just switched a couple months ago because the writing has been on the wall for QM2007 for about a decade now.  This product is not perfect, but it has been building significant momentum and I'm hopeful that it will continue to improve.  If I didn't feel that way, I'd have migrated to a different program.  
    QMac Subscription - iMac - Quicken Mac user since 1995
  • Jack
    Jack Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Not sure if this has already been discusssed but QWin also allowed to manually match multiple register transactions to one bank downloaded transactiion. It was useful for multiple deposits on one slip and other times that you might not use split transactions.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Jack said:

Not sure if this has already been discusssed but QWin also allowed to manually match multiple register transactions to one bank downloaded transactiion. It was useful for multiple deposits on one slip and other times that you might not use split transactions.

This is a good idea, if implemented correctly, so you can now add your VOTE to Add Ability to Match One Downloaded Transaction to Multiple Transactions in Register.

First
    , click on the underlined link above to go there, then click VOTE at the top of THAT page, so your will vote count for THIS feature and increase its visibility to the developers. Your VOTE matters! 

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    FYI...Interesting tidbit...just found out that this workflow is called the "comparative register" in Quicken for Windows, as noted here: https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/quicken-for-mac-2017-v4-4-1-released-j88s872fxmc...

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2018
    I relied on this in Quicken 2015 for Windows.  Switching to the Mac Version, and not having the capability is disappointing.  Please add the functionality that allows review of downloaded transactions prior to adding or updating them in the register.  I switched to the Mac version as to not need to run a VM.  However, this functionality is a requirement, without it I will have to consider returning to the Windows version, or some other tool

• RickO
    edited January 2017
    Jay Bonk said:

I relied on this in Quicken 2015 for Windows.  Switching to the Mac Version, and not having the capability is disappointing.  Please add the functionality that allows review of downloaded transactions prior to adding or updating them in the register.  I switched to the Mac version as to not need to run a VM.  However, this functionality is a requirement, without it I will have to consider returning to the Windows version, or some other tool

I can understand the desire for some to have the review window that they are used to. But I cannot understand how the current implementation could be a show stopper.

If you turn on the Matched and Status columns and invoke the Not Reviewed filter, you essentially have a review window. Yes, technically the transactions are already in the register. But there's nothing that cannot be addressed there that can be addressed in a separate review window.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited January 2017
    Jay Bonk said:

i am not sure how to do that.
  • RickO
    edited February 2017
    Jay Bonk said:

To turn on display of the Status and Matched columns, click menu View > Columns (account name)... and then make sure there's a check mark by those two columns. You can arrange the columns so they are at the left side of the register by dragging the column headers, and you can adjust the column width by dragging the divider between column headers.

The screenshot below shows the upper left corner of a register. The Status column is the one labeled with a black dot. The Status Filter is open with the Not Reviewed option circled in red (not yet selected).

The first transaction is reconciled (green circle checkmark) and auto-matched but not yet marked as reviewed (blue pencil).

The 2nd transaction is cleared (blue square checkmark) and downloaded but not matched and not reviewed (blue dot). 

The 3rd transaction is manually entered and not matched or reviewed (orange pencil).

The 4th transaction was matched manually and not reviewed (blue pencil).

The 5th transaction was matched automatically and has been reviewed (no icon in the status column).

A full description of the status column icons can be found here:

https://www.quicken.com/support/status-icons-your-quicken-mac-register

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited March 2017
    I tried the suggestion above, and when filtering on not reviewed - I only saw those w/ a blue dot.  The matched - blue pencil are excluded by the filter.  How can I see both?  In windows, the were displayed as 'match' for the blue pencils, and 'new' for the blue dot.  But both appear in the 'Accept cleared transactions into register' list
  • RickO
    edited January 2017
    Jay Bonk said:

I tried the suggestion above, and when filtering on not reviewed - I only saw those w/ a blue dot.  The matched - blue pencil are excluded by the filter.  How can I see both?  In windows, the were displayed as 'match' for the blue pencils, and 'new' for the blue dot.  But both appear in the 'Accept cleared transactions into register' list

Try the Last Downloaded filter.