Why is my account using a BoughtX instead of Bought? With BoughtX it is referring to another account

George B Heckler
George B Heckler Member ✭✭
edited November 2018 in Investing (Windows)
Account

Comments

• Unknown
    Unknown Alumni
    edited September 2017
    Hi Gbhco,

I'm sorry for any confusion or inconvenience this has caused. To help us provide the most appropriate response, please let us know which Quicken product (QWin or QMac) and what version (2016, 2017, etc.) you are using. Also, are you using the US version of Quicken or Quicken Canada?

Thanks,
    Dave
  • George B Heckler
    edited January 2017
    The product is QWin 2017 US
  • George B Heckler
    edited January 2017
    PS: I have cleared all of the placeholders, but it still is doing the same. I have no idea which account it is referring to record the cash transaction; it does it with all of the inputs such as BoughtX, SoldX, etc.  
  • Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Sounds to me like you have the Account set up as a "Single Mutual Fund" account.  Since that Account can only have inside of it one mutual fund and no cash, any attempt to "Buy" means that the cash has to come from outside the Account itself.

Check and see if that's not the case.
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    This will also happen if you have selected Yes to "Show cash in a checking account" on the Account Details dialog. The linked account will be in the Banking section of the Account Summary and may be hidden (click on More Accounts to see.)  This can be handy if you use cash from an investment account to pay everyday expenses. If not, it is probably best to leave No selected. 

Make sure to back up your data before changing this selection, because you may not like the results and it may require lengthy manual clean-up if there are a lot of transactions. 
    QWin Premier subscription
  • George B Heckler
    edited January 2017
    I have checked the "Single Mutual Fund" and it is marked No. Also I have put cash in the account, but still have the same results. Do I need to close this account and start over again?
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    OK, so SMF isn't the issue.  When you do CTRL-A, and click EDIT next to the investment account name, what is the "Account Type" shown?  What is selected for "Show cash in a checking account"?
    Also, if you click on one of those "X" transactions, it should show in the category field what the offsetting account is.  It's name will be in Square Brackets as such: [other account]

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2018
    I am having the same problem.  2016 Home & Business, IRA account Buy stock - When I enter a Buy it does not deduct from the cash in the account.  It is behaving like BoughtX.  I get N/A in the Cash Amt field.  Tech support had me install the Mondo patch.  Still a problem. Case #00409893
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Deborah2 said:

I am having the same problem.  2016 Home & Business, IRA account Buy stock - When I enter a Buy it does not deduct from the cash in the account.  It is behaving like BoughtX.  I get N/A in the Cash Amt field.  Tech support had me install the Mondo patch.  Still a problem. Case #00409893

Deborah,
    You's is a different problem than that of gbhco (as evidenced by the "N/A" that you mention).  Please start your own new question, being sure to include your Q product name, product year and release.

And, as this is a user-to-user forum, we can't access the case files from Q Support ... so you'll have to tell us what happened while you were working with Support.

• George B Heckler
    edited October 2018
    I have opened a new account, but did not put any equities in the screen that poped up. Then input several transactions, this is now working. I will just have to manually input and adjust the register. I don't remember having this problem with QW2016. Also this is an easier way of doing it seeing that QW2017 is being such a twit about doing it their way. Additionally, never could get my Financial Company to hook up to download my data; something I am not going to worry about as I get paper copies of my statements, which I can manually input to Quicken. So much for modern technology. 
    Thanks for your help. George
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2017

I have opened a new account, but did not put any equities in the screen that poped up. Then input several transactions, this is now working. I will just have to manually input and adjust the register. I don't remember having this problem with QW2016. Also this is an easier way of doing it seeing that QW2017 is being such a twit about doing it their way. Additionally, never could get my Financial Company to hook up to download my data; something I am not going to worry about as I get paper copies of my statements, which I can manually input to Quicken. So much for modern technology. 
    Thanks for your help. George

What financial company?  We can look up whether they participate with Q or not.

• George B Heckler
    edited October 2018
    Ameriprise Financial 
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2017

Ameriprise Financial 

Here's all of the entries with Ameriprise in the name ... did you try one of them?

If none worked, then it would be because Ameriprise has chosen to not support Q.  Entirely Ameriprise's decision, and Q (the company) can't make the changes to Ameriprise's computers to make downloading possible.

13573    13573    13573    Ameriprise Brokerage 133 Direct    http://www.Ameriprise.com/investment    (800) 862-7919    http://www.ameriprise.com    ACTIVE    ACCOUNTINFO,INVESTMENT&DIRECT                   NOT_QBP    NA

14442    14442    14442    Ameriprise Brokerage 133 Web    http://www.Ameriprise.com/investment    1-866-714-5499    https://investor.ameripriseinvestments.com/Modules/Login/login.php    ACTIVE         INVESTMENT&WEB-CONNECT              NOT_QBP    NA

09403    09403    09403    Ameriprise Financial Employee Card    https://www.AmeripriseCorpCard.com/businesscard/Login.do?promoCode=Ameriprise    18665852945    https://www.AmeripriseCorpCard.com/businesscard/Login.do?promoCode=Ameriprise    ACTIVE         CREDIT&WEB-CONNECT              NOT_QBP    NA

12910    12910    12910    Ameriprise MasterCard    http://www.Ameriprise.com/card    1 866 483 8434    http://www.Ameriprise.com/card    ACTIVE    CREDIT,ACCOUNTINFO&DIRECT              BANKING,ACCOUNTINFO&EXP-WEB-CONNECT    NOT_QBP    NA

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Getting N/A in the cash column is almost invariably a sign of placeholders in the account relevant to the security being bought or sold.  In assessing the existence of placeholders in the account, it is necessary to make sure that the Preferences / Investment Transactions selection be set to Show Hidden Transactions.   
This discussion has been closed.