Investing activity report incorrect

Unknown
Unknown Member
edited November 2018 in Investing (Windows)
Ran an Investing Activity report today (1/3/2017). I had a gain of $9,300 in the market today.  Yet the report shows that I have a change in Market Value of $159,367.91.

The problem is that the Beginning Value is incorrect.  Going back to Investing Activity and setting the date to Last Year, it shows the correct Ending Value...which is NOT the same amount as this years Beginning Value.

So...what's up with that?  That's a pretty unreliable report if it's calculating Market Value increases from an incorrect basis from January 1, 2017.

Comments

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited February 2017
    BTW, this year's Ending Value is the correct amount.  It's just the Beginning Value that is incorrect...and thus the change in Market Value (unrealized gains) is wrong.  
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Sounds like something messed up in the Price History for one of your securities. You might go to Investing/Portfolio/Show Holdings and adjust the date to see if there are anomalies. Perhaps one of your securities has a price of 0.00 for 1/1/2017. If so, edit the price history for the affected security.
    QWin Premier subscription
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited January 2017

Sounds like something messed up in the Price History for one of your securities. You might go to Investing/Portfolio/Show Holdings and adjust the date to see if there are anomalies. Perhaps one of your securities has a price of 0.00 for 1/1/2017. If so, edit the price history for the affected security.

Thanks for the suggestion, but nope...no securities with a price of $0.00 for 1/1 or 1/2/2017.

Any further suggestions?  I think I'm going to try to rebuild investing lots...and then delete the price history...after I first back up my data file, of course.  

I'll keep you posted. 
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2017

You might also check the 12/31 prices.  I don't recall off the top which (1/1 or 12/31) prices are used for the beginning value.  Off the top, at least some parts of Quicken I know use the 12/31 values (effectively midnight of the closing day of the year).  
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited February 2017
    Okay, so I found the offending account, because the Ending Value of 12/31/2016 is correct...while the Starting Value of 1/1/2017 is incorrect.

The dollar amount of the two values are off is exactly the amount held in one of annuity accounts.  I checked the Price History for the "security" I have for the annuity (just a fictitious one, and I value the shares at $1 per share...the same I do for a number of other annuities and savings bonds I have).

There is just one share price listed, since there's only been one transaction into the account.  It's 1/23/2016 at $1.00 per share.  I noticed that the share price had dropped to $0 currently, so I manually added a new price for 12/31/2016 at $1 (and high and low) and also for 1/1/2017 at $1 (and high and low).  This made NO difference.  The Starting Value is still missing that one annuity account, but the Ending Value includes it.

And yes, the annuity account AND the security is included in the Customize report...otherwise why else would it be correct in the Ending Value?  I even recreated the report instead of using my saved custom report...no difference there.  I have EVERY investment account and EVERY investment security included in the report...even accounts and securities that aren't active or are hidden.  

I've even used a Custom Date of 12/31/2016 to 1/4/2017...it still has the incorrect Starting Value and the correct Ending Value.  Yet if I run the same report for Last Year, the Ending Value is correct for 12/31/2016...which is different than the Starting Value for 1/1/2017.  

Next, I went to the Edit/Delete area of the account.  I have it set for a Traditional IRA, Tax deferred = Yes and Single Mutual Fund = No.  I also have the Tax Schedule set up correctly.

Next, I went to the actual "security" I have set up for the annuity.  Once again, remember that it's priced as a constant at $1.00 per share.  The security is set up as Other, Single Asset Class = Other, Tax Free is unchecked and Use Average Cost is unchecked.  These are the same setting I use for four other annuities that I own.  

Still, no change.  Playing around with any of the Account and Security settings yields no change in the report.  

I then went back to the price history, changed the share price to $2 a share on 1/1/2017...guess what?  The Starting Value did NOT change one bit.  Stayed the same as if it was $1 a share.  The Ending Value did increase proportionately.  Very strange.  Obviously, it is not picking up the price for this one security for the Starting Value only.

So...right now I'm at my wits end.  I suppose I could delete the transaction and reenter it and see if that resolves the problem.  Or I could delete the security and reenter it and see it that resolves the problem too.  I'll try that next and keep you posted.  
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited February 2017
    BTW, running the Investing Activity Report for a date range of Last Year has a correct Starting Value and a correct Ending Value.

I added this annuity 1/23/2016.  Values are fine from before and after that date, excluding the 2017 report.  
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited February 2017
    Problem solved.  I deleted the transaction (transfer from another IRA account), entered it as a Cash Transferred Out of Account to the annuity account, then entered it as a Buy transaction.

Previously, I had just used a WithdrawX from the annuity account...one transaction instead of the two I have now (Transfer of cash in, then a Buy).

VOILA...it now shows the correct Starting Value.

Don't ask my why changing this seemed to matter, but it did and the Investing Activity report is now correct for Starting Value and Ending Value...HOORAY FOR ME!
  • mtn_living
    mtn_living Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Transfers between accounts seem to totally hose the investment activity report. I consolidated some IRA's into one account, did Quicken's transfer process and now my investment activity report is useless.
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2017

Transfers between accounts seem to totally hose the investment activity report. I consolidated some IRA's into one account, did Quicken's transfer process and now my investment activity report is useless.

What happened, in Q, to the "from" account in that consolidation?  Did you include it in the Investment Activity report?

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

This discussion has been closed.