How do I get all sale dates for a particular security grouped by lot?

jrm
jrm Member ✭✭
edited November 2018 in Investing (Windows)
Quicken Premier 2015 R12 for Windows.

I have a historic (no longer any active shares) security which had multiple lots. The sale of shares occurred over multiple dates, including multiple dates for a single lot purchase. I am trying to find a way to report (or even screenshot) the information that would display security name, purchase lot date and number or shares, and the number of shares sold and the respective date for each.

In other words, something like....

Microsoft
lot 12/01/2000 500 shares
---sold 7/1/2003 300 shares
---sold 2/1/2004 200 shares
lot 2/15/2001 100 shares
---sold 11/15/2010 100 shares 
lot 6/30/2005 1500 shares
---sold 4/1/2008 400 shares
---sold 12/1/2012 400 shares
---sold 11/15/2015 700 shares

I can find the information by looking at the respective account, finding each sell transaction, editing the transaction and looking at the specify lot information. But, that is tedious, and I might miss something.

I am trying to make some determinations as I look to shred historic documents that I no longer need, and am therefore trying to determine if all my transaction for given purchase lots have been sold more than 7 years ago.

Thanks for your help.

Comments

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    If the question boils down to "Do I still have any shares of Security A lot X?" you could print a report that shows the tax lots you currently hold as follows:

--Go to Investing/Portfolio and select Holdings
    --Pick the As of date if you want something other than today
    --Group by accounts
    --Customize to include only the accounts/securities you are interested in (hint: exclude money market funds and tax deferred accounts)
    --Click on Expand all

Then go to File/Print portfolio.

Voila! A report that shows all the tax lots you currently hold! I do this at the start of each year, and cross things off as I sell them, as a check for tax purposes.
    QWin Premier subscription
  • mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    I would use a capital gains report. You can customize for accounts, dates, and/or securities. Then you may find it helpful to use the report export to copy the report to the clipboard and paste into Excel. You can then use Excel to sort or filter to find the info you want.

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• jrm
    jrm Member ✭✭
    edited January 2017

If the question boils down to "Do I still have any shares of Security A lot X?" you could print a report that shows the tax lots you currently hold as follows:

--Go to Investing/Portfolio and select Holdings
    --Pick the As of date if you want something other than today
    --Group by accounts
    --Customize to include only the accounts/securities you are interested in (hint: exclude money market funds and tax deferred accounts)
    --Click on Expand all

Then go to File/Print portfolio.

Voila! A report that shows all the tax lots you currently hold! I do this at the start of each year, and cross things off as I sell them, as a check for tax purposes.

Yes, that scenario works to determine if I have anything outstanding, but I can also see that information looking at my portfolio view. Rather, I was trying to look at the historical record of buy/sell transactions.
  • jrm
    jrm Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    I had tried this prior to submitting my question, and hadn't come up with the pertinent security, even when looking at all dates.

I just went back to it and customized the report to limit the accounts it was checking, to help reduce the data. Once I identified to show the hidden accounts, the security I was trying to track appeared. This presents an interesting thing to keep in mind... that while I had selected to show hidden securities, and selected such a security, the report had no resulting records until I showed the hidden accounts as well. Maybe because it was grouped by accounts?

In any event, this does give me what I was trying to find.

Thanks.
  • jrm
    jrm Member ✭✭
    edited November 2018
    I'd like to take this one step further, the security I am attempting to track was from a stock option, and set up in Quicken as such. Is there a way to track the sale dates of shares grouped by stock option grant?

If I go into the account set up for the option, I can see the grants, vest transactions and the exercise transactions (which transferred the shares into a new account.)

Thanks.
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    jrm said:

I'd like to take this one step further, the security I am attempting to track was from a stock option, and set up in Quicken as such. Is there a way to track the sale dates of shares grouped by stock option grant?

If I go into the account set up for the option, I can see the grants, vest transactions and the exercise transactions (which transferred the shares into a new account.)

Thanks.

Quicken apparently tracks option lots by grant date, but I don't see a way to get it to display this. Perhaps you could get this information from the administrator of the options.
    QWin Premier subscription
  • jrm
    jrm Member ✭✭
    edited January 2017
    jrm said:

Thanks.

Fortunately I do have the information, but based on the time frames, the hard-copy is in multiple files spanning multiple years. But, your suggestion of going to the admin is worth considering.
This discussion has been closed.