QWin 2016: How can I download Thrift Savings Plan share prices?

Unknown
Unknown Member
edited October 2018 in Investing (Windows)
I have to manually load the data into Quicken. Prices and transactions. My bank has all of the information displayed on one page updated daily. Why can't Quicken do the same? At the very least it should be able to pull the share prices as that is available to anyone on line with no log in or account.

Comments

• Unknown
    Unknown Alumni
    edited September 2017
    Hi Eric, 

I'm sorry for any confusion this may have caused. To help us provide the most appropriate answer, please let us know what Quicken product (QWin or QMac) and what version (2015, 2016, etc.) you are using.

Thanks,
    Dave
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Are you talking about the TSP that's a 401k/403b for US Gov't employees?  Because, there's no bank associated with that, just the TSP Trustees ... so I don't understand your "bank" reference.

Also, if you can download those TSP prices as a CSV file (and do some moving around of the data) then you CAN import those into Q.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2016
    My own bank pulls the share prices and my balances automatically. I do nothing but log into my account and see everything I see in Quicken plus the TSP. No work, no hassle. 
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2016

Hi Eric, 

I'm sorry for any confusion this may have caused. To help us provide the most appropriate answer, please let us know what Quicken product (QWin or QMac) and what version (2015, 2016, etc.) you are using.

Thanks,
    Dave

Quicken for Windows 2016. 
  • miklk
    miklk SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    edited October 2018
    You cannot download TSP prices directly. There is no associated ticker symbol to get it and TSP doesn't provide downloads due to cost savings.
    There are 3rd party apps that pop up every once in a while that provide a .csv download as a workaround.
    Basically, you need to manual update the price periodically.
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    miklk said:

You cannot download TSP prices directly. There is no associated ticker symbol to get it and TSP doesn't provide downloads due to cost savings.
    There are 3rd party apps that pop up every once in a while that provide a .csv download as a workaround.

NO NO NO!  From TSP's website you can download the prices.  In Q Help, it describes how to import quotes.  You just need to manipulate that downloaded CSV file in Excel, and then you can import the Quotes, but not quantities, activity or transactions.
    re: the ticker symbol ... just make one up for each fund that you own and use that same symbol when you edit the CSV.  TSP-G, TSP-F, etc work well for this.

• miklk
    miklk SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    edited December 2016
    miklk said:

You are correct, I was assuming the OP meant direct download with update quotes or OSU. The CSV method certainly will work if they wanted to do that and had the ability to set it up and do it.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2018
    I appreciate all of your help. I have been loading the prices and quotes manually and will continue to do so.

Another third party, one of the banks I use, has been downloading all this along with my information from other financial institutions for a while now. Just like quicken does with my other accounts like credit cards and mutual funds. The bank is not affiliated with TSP in any way.

Obviously it can be done as the bank is doing it. Odd that Quicken cannot. 

Thank you for your help.
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016

I appreciate all of your help. I have been loading the prices and quotes manually and will continue to do so.

Another third party, one of the banks I use, has been downloading all this along with my information from other financial institutions for a while now. Just like quicken does with my other accounts like credit cards and mutual funds. The bank is not affiliated with TSP in any way.

Thank you for your help.

The larger issue here is NOT that "Quicken cannot", it that Q requires a signed contract between themselves and the Financial Institution (TSP, in this case) to provide downloads into Q.

TSP has refused to sign this contract.  Go bug them.

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2016

Thank you for your help.

I used to think that until I found other 3rd party financial are importing both the prices and my account information. Maybe TSP discriminates against Quicken? 
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016

Thank you for your help.

You can't download from an FI into Q, unless that FI has signed a contract with Q ... that specifies the rights and obligations of both parties.

You bank, apparently, has less scruples about such transactions ... and logs into TSP and swipes the data without TSP's consent or knowledge.

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2016

Thank you for your help.

So, why does "Mint" allow you to download transactions and balances from TSP? I mean, Mint is Intuit just as much as Quicken is... I have historically used Mint, and I have been trying to migrate to Quicken (2017 for Mac, though). I have been surprised to see that Quicken does not have the same bank access as Mint.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2016

Thank you for your help.

First off Mint and Quicken never had the same contracts.  They both have different licensing and ways to make money.

Second Quicken is no longer owned by Intuit.  It was sold to Quicken Inc in April.
  • Stan Hoge
    Stan Hoge Member
    edited December 2016

Thank you for your help.

All this mumbo gumbo about licenses and agreements is nonsense.  Bottom line is that in 2016 downloading TSP quotes  is pretty much the standard for many banks and financial   institutions.  Quicken is just behind the times.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited January 2017

Thank you for your help.

"You(r) bank, apparently, has less scruples about such transactions ... and
    logs into TSP and swipes the data without TSP's consent or knowledge."  I think all this talk about Quicken not supporting TSP shows how arrogant and close-minded Quicken Inc. is.  My financial institutions can all see my TSP information and they don't "swipe" it. USAA, Vanguard, T R Price, etc. have no problem with my TSP information.  Quicken needs to have a signed contract which TSP refuses to sign? Is that something like "Show Me the Money".  Get off your high horse Quicken!
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited January 2017

Thank you for your help.

This is true. You can authorize others access. You don't need to have a signed agreement with TSP to get the balances. Just the daily prices would be helpful - with no login required. The information is free and accessible to anyone. Quicken is being a bit lazy.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2017

Thank you for your help.

Well, another year has gone by and we have another new version of Quicken for Mac and I still can't automatically link to and download information from my Thrift Savings Plan. This plan is for Federal employees. It is like a 403.b. Go to this web link to learn more: https://www.tsp.gov/index.html. I have been asking for this capability for years without satisfactory results. Will this ever come or should I just give up?
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2017

Thank you for your help.

Complain to TSP, it is they who need to decide to allow Quicken to do it.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2017

Thank you for your help.

Not true. 1. Any entity can access the day to day prices as it is a public web site. No authorization needed. 2. The account valuations are private, but belong to the account owner, NOT TSP. The owner gives access. As I have done with my bank and they keep my balances continually up to date. Don't know what is going on with Quicken, but they need to get on with it. Every year my bank provides more and more of the functionality of Quicken. Won't need it forever.
  • Marc
    Marc Member ✭✭
    edited November 2017

Thank you for your help.

I think it would be great if Quicken would just update the daily fund price quote.  TSPtalk.com can grab the price quote why can't Quicken?
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2017

Thank you for your help.

I contacted TSP and here is the response I got from them. It does not sound to me like automatic downloads are coming anytime soon:

Comma Separated Value (CSV) files allow you to open and view your information in spreadsheet programs such as Microsoft Excel. The TSP now offers a CSV file download for share prices, account balances, and current-quarter transactions. Share price history dating back to June 2, 2003, is available for download in the "Fund Performance" section of the website under Investment Funds. Account balance data dating back to the establishment of your account is available for download in My Account under Account Balance. Transaction history for the current quarter is available for download in My Account under Activity Summary. Transaction history for previous quarters may be found on your quarterly participant statements, which can be located in My Account under Statements. To download CSV files, click the "Download CSV file" button. Once you download the CSV file to your personal computer, you can then upload the data into your personal finance application such as Quicken.
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2017

Thank you for your help.

Once you download the CSV file to your personal computer, you can then
    upload the data into your personal finance application such as Quicken.
    Well, yes and no.  While Q can read a CSV file for prices ... it can't directly read a CSV file for transactions. 

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2018

Thank you for your help.

As I said before, my bank gets the latest prices and balances for my TSP account daily with no problem. Along with my other investments. It is all in one place and up to date anytime; from my computer or my phone. When will Quicken catch up?
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2017

Thank you for your help.

We're other users and can't answer your question.

This discussion has been closed.