when will Quicken be available for Windows Phone?

Unknown
Unknown Member
edited October 2018 in Using the Mobile App
Quicken for Windows Phone?

Comments

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Full Quicken?  No time soon.  And the developers haven't stated any timeframe for the full product to be on a phone.

There IS, however, the Q Mobile App, that works in conjunction with your desktop Q.  It's free, and available from Google Play, among other places.  NOTE, that the Mobile App only displays a subset of what's on the desktop app.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2016

Full Quicken?  No time soon.  And the developers haven't stated any timeframe for the full product to be on a phone.

There IS, however, the Q Mobile App, that works in conjunction with your desktop Q.  It's free, and available from Google Play, among other places.  NOTE, that the Mobile App only displays a subset of what's on the desktop app.

The key words might be "Windows Phone".  As this might be a query of when will Quicken have a mobile app for a Windows Phone, just like there is one for the iOS and Android.

The answer to that question is no one knows, Quicken Inc doesn't pre announce what they are working on or when they might be available.  And if anyone knew they would be restricted by company policy or a beta non disclosure.
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016

That could well be.  But since the OP specified "Quicken" and not "Mobile App", I responded to what was written.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Big Al
    Big Al Member ✭✭
    edited October 2016

OK So when will there be a mobile app for Windows phone? Not much reason to upgrade since price was increased so much if I can't use a mobile app for my Microsoft 950XL.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2016

Like QuicknPerlWiz said above, Quicken doesn't release information on what they are working on - so no one here will be able to tell you when (or if) Quicken will have a Windows Phone version.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited January 2017
    Highly unlikely they will ever release a Windows Phone version for the same reason that Intuit's Mint pulled their Windows Mobile version - not enough users to justify the development cost.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2018
    I'm guessing their biggest user base is on the Windows platform.  It can't be that hard to migrate from Windows 10 to Windows 10 mobile.  How do they know how many users they have that are waiting for the app?
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Mike K said:

I'm guessing their biggest user base is on the Windows platform.  It can't be that hard to migrate from Windows 10 to Windows 10 mobile.  How do they know how many users they have that are waiting for the app?

@Mike P

You have a very distorted concept of the computing power in a phone compared to a desktop/laptop computer. 

There are routinely users reporting on the slowness of Quicken on their desktop computer, a phone does not even stand a chance of running a full version of Quicken.

Admit it, you bought a Windows phone due to Microsoft's hype about all the great and wonderful things it could and WILL be able to do and they just aren't happening.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited January 2017
    Mike K said:

@Mike K,

They would have to rewrite Quicken from the ground up as a Universal Windows Platform application in order to be cross-platform, and doing so takes time and development money. That said, Quicken did have a mobile application for the previous generation of Windows Mobile (up until Windows Mobile/CE 6.x), but when Windows Mobile 7.x was released it made everything before it obsolete. Right now there isn't a large enough installed user base of Windows 10 Mobile to justify the time and expense of writing a UWP application, and you will not see such a user base unless either Apple and/or Android really screw something up or Microsoft finds a way to get more of their phones to be sold directly through carriers (at least one of which operates a CDMA, not GSM, network).

That said, I love Windows 10 Mobile for its sheer simplicity compared to Android and iOS. But Microsoft has a long way to go to regain the user base it lost to Apple and Google.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited January 2017
    Mike K said:

Thank you.  I understand why Quicken might be reluctant to sink money Into development for such a small platform.  When I had the app, I used it exclusively to enter cash transactions on site.  Cash is the hardest account to track because there is very often no receipt.  The app was beneficial for me and I miss it.  But not enough to use Android or IOS.  

I would imagine that most users are not interested in comprehensive functionality on their phone and would be happy for a minimal subset.  A UWP of significantly reduced scope shouldn't be that daunting given the new range of development tools.

I agree with you though, that there is no real justification for the time and expense.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited January 2017
    Mike K said:

@Mike K,

I suppose another option would be "Hey Cortana, note to self...", which would add a note to your Quick Notes in OneNote, or keeping a note open in OneNote mobile to note the spending and then reconciling with Quicken Desktop when you're back at your computer. Tedious, but either way you're back on the desktop to sync anyhow. I have a Windows 10 tablet with a stylus that I carry around anyway and just jot it down there.

The last version of Quicken for Windows CE/Mobile simply recorded the transactions and then had a plug-in for MS ActiveSync to sync the accounts up with Quicken Desktop over USB.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited January 2017
    Mike K said:

@stevenwb,

Ha ha!  I like that.  A bit tedious as you say, but it might lead to streamlining down the road.  I'm going to try both.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited January 2017
    Mike K said:

I've been looking at several workarounds for not having a dedicated Quicken program on Windows Mobile since I play around with data for a living (and for fun, ha ha) and that's what I ended up doing given that Quicken desktop stopped supporting .QIF for bank account imports (at least the Mac version supports Mint's format, which a simple CSV file I could create with Excel, but I've done switched from Apple to Microsoft products). :-)
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Mike K said:

@stevenwb

I got confused in your last sentence, but Quicken for Windows can import .QIF files, see these two posts:
    Edit QIF -manually 
    Edit QIF - with ImportQIF 

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited January 2017
    Mike K said:

@Splasher, Quicken desktop stopped supporting direct QIF import into banking accounts I believe around the 2007 version, but you *Can* import into a cash account and move the transactions over.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited January 2017
    Mike K said:

stevenwb it was actually after the 2004 version, but you should have read what is on the links Splasher gave you.  It was found by a SuperUser long ago that if the account name and type is in the QIF file, that will override what you select for the account in the GUI.

Here is a FAQ that has both of pieces of that information that Splasher's links have.
    http://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/faq-is-there-a-way-that-will-allow-you-to-import-transactions-from-qif-csv-excel-ofx-files-into-quicken
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited January 2017
    Mike K said:

BTW to show how low Quicken Inc thinks the Windows Phone user base is the history goes like this.

Mint developed a Android and iOS mobile app a few years before, and being part of Inuit, the Quicken department was able change that code over for Quicken.  That is how Quicken mobile was created.

The story goes on that about say 2 years to 1 1/2 years ago Mint came out with a Windows app (Universal), but it was short lived, maybe 6 months.  They pulled it.  I don't know the story if it was because it has so many problems or just not too many people downloaded it.  But it was killed.

And with that probably any chance that it was going to be developed for Quicken died with it too.

There is also the fact unlike Android or iOS at lot of "Windows mobile users", actually have devices that can run the full Windows 10, and as such run Quicken Desktop, and that further cuts into the user base the needs the universal app.

They have a "mobile" development group, but it looks like the requests for the feature for other things will most likely mean they will never work on this.

BTW as far as I'm concerned mobile is a two edged sword.

What they did with if is make a two way sync.  And that sync is "invisible" to the user.
    Back in Quicken 2013 when it first came out and for months afterwards, mobile sync == data file corrupted.  To this day people are still wondering if mobile is at the heart of some people's budget numbers changing randomly.  Note the budget sync is suppose to be only one way, from the Desktop to the server.

So the "invisible" part is that you sync and the transaction entered in mobile just appear in your register.  It just shows up in your register as an uncleared transaction.

I think just like the downloading of loan payments, Quicken developers "surprised" the users with their implementation.  I think most though it would work more like downloading transactions from a financial institution.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited January 2017
    Mike K said:

BTW to show how low Quicken Inc thinks the Windows Phone user base is the history goes like this.

Mint developed a Android and iOS mobile app a few years before, and being part of Inuit, the Quicken department was able change that code over for Quicken.  That is how Quicken mobile was created.

The story goes on that about say 2 years to 1 1/2 years ago Mint came out with a Windows app (Universal), but it was short lived, maybe 6 months.  They pulled it.  I don't know the story if it was because it has so many problems or just not too many people downloaded it.  But it was killed.

And with that probably any chance that it was going to be developed for Quicken died with it too.

There is also the fact unlike Android or iOS at lot of "Windows mobile users", actually have devices that can run the full Windows 10, and as such run Quicken Desktop, and that further cuts into the user base the needs the universal app.

They have a "mobile" development group, but it looks like the requests for the feature for other things will most likely mean they will never work on this.

BTW as far as I'm concerned mobile is a two edged sword.

What they did with if is make a two way sync.  And that sync is "invisible" to the user.
    Back in Quicken 2013 when it first came out and for months afterwards, mobile sync == data file corrupted.  To this day people are still wondering if mobile is at the heart of some people's budget numbers changing randomly.  Note the budget sync is suppose to be only one way, from the Desktop to the server.

So the "invisible" part is that you sync and the transaction entered in mobile just appear in your register.  It just shows up in your register as an uncleared transaction.

I think just like the downloading of loan payments, Quicken developers "surprised" the users with their implementation.  I think most though it would work more like downloading transactions from a financial institution.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited January 2017
    Mike K said:

BTW I didn't double post above, that is GetSatisfaction messing up.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited January 2017
    Mike K said:

BTW I didn't double post above, that is GetSatisfaction messing up.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited January 2017
    Mike K said:

@QPW Thank you for what looks like valuable information.

@stevenwb
    It looks like we're better off with an external collection and conversion.  Downloading transactions from financial institutions is a discreet process, importing cash activity shouldn't create too great a disturbance in the force.
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Mike K said:

@QPW Somethings are just worth saying twice.  ;-)

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited January 2017
    Mike K said:

:-)

BTW if all you want is to enter some cash transactions on the fly it can be as simple as using Excel on the mobile side.  I looked at some mobile apps and most are overkill.  But they can be used as long as they will put out a QIF or CSV file.

So for Excel it just goes like this.
    Bring up Excel and save a transaction(s) using a given set of column for each field in Quicken.  Like:
    Date,Payee,Category,Memo,Amount
    Save file to OneDrive

On the Desktop side using ImportQIF:
    One time setup for the account name, type and column mappings that you used above.  Note headers to the columns aren't necessary, but there is nothing wrong with having them and you could use an Excel file as a template with them in it.

For each import session, Open Excel file in ImportQIF and press the account button on the Run tab.
    It is converted and imported into Quicken.

In Quicken you accept the transactions using the Downloaded transactions tab for checking accounts, but for cash accounts they go directly into the register.

Also note something that you can't do with importing transactions from a financial institution in QFX format that you can do in QIF.  You can put in the category, and tag fields if you like.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited January 2017
    Mike K said:

Part of the above history is that Intuit spun off Quicken into its own company, but kept Mint.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited January 2017
    Mike K said:

@QPW I ran ImportQIF and successfully imported a cash transaction from OneDrive exactly as you described.  Thank you.  Now I just have to automate the excel field input on my phone and I'm ready to go.  All in one day!  Thank you all.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited January 2017
    Mike K said:

@QPW I ran ImportQIF and successfully imported a cash transaction from OneDrive exactly as you described.  Thank you.  Now I just have to automate the excel field input on my phone and I'm ready to go.  All in one day!  Thank you all.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited January 2017
    Mike K said:

stevenwb, yeah there is that too.  But frankly I was very surprised that Intuit dropped the pilot program for the Windows app after developing and putting it out.

That wasn't too long before Quicken was sold, that must have sent a pretty big message to Quicken Inc as far if it was worth it, even if they were entitled to the source code for it or not (I have no idea either way on that).

Mike K, You very welcome.
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2017
    splasher said:
    Yeah saw that too.  It is a shame that Microsoft missed the boat on this, because Windows 10 really does shine on phones and other touch devices.

This one time they couldn't recover from coming late to the party.
    They have done that a lot of times, and relied on their "might" to get them back into the game, not this time.
This discussion has been closed.