Transfering funds from stock account to checking account at a later date

Unknown
Unknown Member
edited October 2018 in Investing (Windows)
Windows 10, Quicken 2017 Home & Business

Comments

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Elaborate.  Why later? And, are they at the same Financial Institution?  What access method do you use to connect?

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited February 2018

Usually deposit stock sale checks when received from brokerage account in a day or two as a "SellX,' but this time the check came on mid-December and I didn't get to deposit it until January 10th.  I would prefer to show the stock return in 2016, and move it to my checking on the 10th.

• volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    Just st up another cash account to run it though. Call it Undeposited Checks. Then when you do deposit it you make the bank account deposit a Transfer to the new account to clear it out.

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• Bob_L
    Bob_L SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    The trade date is what matters. That is I would record the sale in the brokerage account on that date, letting the cash remain there until you create a transfer out to your checking account on the day of deposit. (This assumes you have a regular brokerage account in quicken that holds cash, i.e. It is not set up as a single mutual fund account.)

Quicken Business & Personal Subscription, Windows 11 Home

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited January 2017
    volvogirl said:

Just st up another cash account to run it though. Call it Undeposited Checks. Then when you do deposit it you make the bank account deposit a Transfer to the new account to clear it out.

This will work! Thanks for the  advice.  The first time I wanted to deposit into another year.

• Katherine Jones
    Katherine Jones Member ✭✭
    edited January 2017
    volvogirl said:

@volvogirl: I have had other situations where I needed a 'dummy' account in which to store funds and then net 'dummy account' that to zero with another transaction that same day or within a relatively short period of time.  For instance, if I elect to Sell $10k of one mutual fund and buy $10k of another mutual fund (i.e, rebalancing or moving money around based on current financial conditions).    I assume this is the same concept as you are directing Steve Jacobs?

P.S. In the '90's I supported an accounting app and a user I was assisting referred to such an account as her MICOR account. When I asked what that was, she told me it was her Make It Come Out Right account :-) 
  • volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    volvogirl said:

Yes Exactly

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

This discussion has been closed.