Quicken for Mac 2017 v4.3 & 4.3.1 Released

1235»

Comments

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2017

I dearly, dearly miss the ability of a two line registry display. I like to show most of the columns and its just too wide. Please bring a two line display like the windows version. I have friends that are holding of going to the Mac version because of that

@Marcus...I this this post is quite telling...adderssing the lack of an option for 2-line display:
    I was assuming it would be coming soon, now I'll continue to hold on this purchase and check out other products
    source: https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/add-option-for-2-line-row-display-in-quicken-for...

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2016

I am currently using QM 2007 and recently purchased Quicken for Mac 2017.  I hate it but change is hard so I will adjust.  However, I cannot move on until I am able to produce the following report.  I use classes and subclasses to track expenditures for certain purposes.  I need to do a report from one account that takes all transactions marked with that class or subclass, including transfers in and out, and have a total by subclass and class.  The report needs to cover the entire period - in my case it is almost 20 years.  Attached is a screen shot of a report from a test file I use for trying stuff out. In QM2007 I can drill down to see the transactions.  I don't have to do that at this point, but I do absolutely need to have the total.

So, how do I accomplish this with QM 2017?  

Hi I'm having a new issue on QM2017 Version 4.3.1 (Build 43.14810.100) re split transactions.  I know it worked relatively recently and always before - perhaps changed with this update.

I created a new transaction(*) and entered the total.  After splitting, I entered the $ for the first item, I normally expect to the see the remaining balance updated after each line item.  It is not happening now.

*My one caveat is that although I entered a NEW transaction, it autofilled with the most recent transaction's info after I entered the Payee's info.  I'm not sure if you would technically consider this new.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2018
    We just bought the 2017 update yesterday (updating from 2015) and we were not able to access any of our previously created reports.  Since we're in the middle of doing something, we want to roll back to Quicken 2015 temporarily.  How do we do that?
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    moneymgr2 said:

We just bought the 2017 update yesterday (updating from 2015) and we were not able to access any of our previously created reports.  Since we're in the middle of doing something, we want to roll back to Quicken 2015 temporarily.  How do we do that?

Restore from a backup like Time Machine or re-install.

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2016
    Thank you for bringing the transfer via category feature over to the Mac version! I missed that the most when switching over to 2015 from my PC running the 2015 version. Also like the new reconcile -- big improvement. Feels like 2017 finally caught up to what the Windows version has had for a while.

The one thing I miss in 2017 vs 2015 is the "last sync" timestamp that was always on display in the lower part of the sidebar. I realize I can see it if I click on the three dots menu at the top -- but I'd prefer to see it at a quick glance without having to click on anything. Thanks!
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited March 2017
    I have just updated from QM2016 mac to QM 2017 mac, which included the latest updates to that version.

I don't know if it's a fault of QM2017 or the latest updates but I cannot merge Categories. I am sure that I used to be able to carry out this function, in the Categories list, by right clicking on the one I wanted to merge and then select the Category to merge it with.

I can highlight the one I want to merge but right clicking has no effect.

Update

Don't know if it's the correct way to do it bit I have found out that if I change the name of one of the categories to exactly the same as the other it prompts a pop-up asking if I want them merged.

Didn't find that anywhere in Help.
  • RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited December 2016
    Pineman said:

I have just updated from QM2016 mac to QM 2017 mac, which included the latest updates to that version.

I don't know if it's a fault of QM2017 or the latest updates but I cannot merge Categories. I am sure that I used to be able to carry out this function, in the Categories list, by right clicking on the one I wanted to merge and then select the Category to merge it with.

I can highlight the one I want to merge but right clicking has no effect.

Update

Don't know if it's the correct way to do it bit I have found out that if I change the name of one of the categories to exactly the same as the other it prompts a pop-up asking if I want them merged.

Didn't find that anywhere in Help.

You got it. Changing the name of one category to match that of another is the new way to merge categories.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2016
    Net worth question, who tracks value of personal belongings, and if so how exactly do you set it up?
  • newcastlelinda
    newcastlelinda Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Craig said:

Net worth question, who tracks value of personal belongings, and if so how exactly do you set it up?

I created a separate Asset account for new large purchases:  NewPersonalProperty.  Instead of assigning the transaction to an expense category, I enter it as a Transfer to the asset account.  I also created an Asset account for already owned items:  OldPersonalProperty.  Those I just enter as Transactions with no category (Uncategorized).  (In QMac2007, they were Transfers to the self-same account.)

I hope this is some help.
    Linda
    Quicken Mac Subscription - iMac - Quicken Mac user since 1994
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2016
    Craig said:

This sounds odd, so your recording the transaction as a transfer to an asset account for the retail price you purchased it for?

Fair Market Value for what ever good you purchased will never be the retail you purchased it for so I do not see how this works...plus if your recording the transaction as a transfer rather than an expense how can you properly track expenses?

could you explain further I'm confused on the way your doing this.
  • newcastlelinda
    edited December 2016
    Craig said:

You are correct, I don't track the current value, I track the purchase price.
    If I want to see how much I spent on NewPersonalProperty, I just look at that account for the year, or month, or quarter.  I only track purchases of greater than $100; and only things that are permanent property, like a new bicycle.  

I actually prefer to track the purchase price.  It's like keeping an Home Inventory list with original prices; great for insurance claims if ever necessary.

I'm just not interested in Fair Market Value for anything other than my cars and house; those have their own Asset account.  For the cars, I calculate Fair Market Value once a year using KellyBlueBook and make adjustments as necessary.
  • newcastlelinda
    edited December 2016
    Craig said:

So here's what I do with my House (it's kind of weird).

I have one Asset account for the House-Basis.  It started with the Purchase Price and then whenever I do an Improvement, I transfer that amount there.  Yes, it means that the value doesn't show up as an expense, but I can look at the transactions at the end of the year to see those 'expenses'.

I have a second Asset account for the House-Gain.  About once a year, I make a guesstimate of what the current House total value is, subtract the Basis and adjust the Gain to that value.  At any time, if I look at House-Basis + House-Gain it should = my House Net Worth.

This is what works for me because I've been doing it for about 20 years ... but if someone else has a better idea, please share!

Linda
  • lhossus
    lhossus SuperUser, Mac Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    lhossus said:

I am getting a dialog with

Got Update Error!
    An error occurred while relaunching Quicken 2017, but the new version will be available next time you run Quicken 2017 
    [Cancel Update] 
    Here is the sequence leading to the above error
    1. I launched Quicken for Mac 2017 v4.2.1 this morning at about 9AM ET as usual to download transactions.
    2. I was greeted with "A new version of Quicken 2017 is available! 
    3. I clicked on Install Update, and after downloading the 32.4MB file, I was presented with the usual Ready to Install dialog. 
    4. I clicked on its Install and Relaunch button. 
    5. The above Update Error dialog appeared.
    I have several times manually selected Check for Updates... from the Quicken menu, and the same error occurs. I have also relaunched Quicken.

Here are some messages from the Console log that might be relevant. Redacted for my privacy.
    11/11/16 9:01:59.493 AM mdworker[11839]: zip importer encountered an error (2) scanning "/Users/xxxxx/Library/Caches/com.quicken.Quicken.2017/Sparkle/Quicken 2017 43.14805.100/Quicken2017-43.14805.100.zip".
    11/11/16 9:02:09.105 AM Quicken 2017[12133]: Sparkle: ===== Quicken 2017 v4.2.1 =====
    11/11/16 9:02:09.106 AM Quicken 2017[12133]: Sparkle: Extracting using '/usr/bin/ditto' '-x' '-k' '-' < '/Users/xxxxx/Library/Caches/com.quicken.Quicken.2017/Sparkle/Quicken 2017 43.14805.100/Quicken2017-43.14805.100.zip' '/Users/xxxxx/Library/Caches/com.quicken.Quicken.2017/Sparkle/Quicken 2017 43.14805.100'
    11/11/16 9:03:54.673 AM Quicken 2017[12133]: Sparkle: Error: An error occurred while relaunching Quicken 2017, but the new version will be available next time you run Quicken 2017. Couldn't find the relauncher (expected to find it at (null)) (URL (null))
    11/11/16 9:03:54.673 AM Quicken 2017[12133]: Sparkle update was aborted with error: Error Domain=SUSparkleErrorDomain Code=4004 "An error occurred while relaunching Quicken 2017, but the new version will be available next time you run Quicken 2017." UserInfo=0xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx {NSLocalizedDescription=An error occurred while relaunching Quicken 2017, but the new version will be available next time you run Quicken 2017., NSLocalizedFailureReason=Couldn't find the relauncher (expected to find it at (null))}

Quicken Marcus: got another case of Sparkle updater successfully downloading an update, but then failing to install the application file:

https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/cant-update-to-quicken-2016-for-mac-3-5-2?topic-...

Note that this case involves Quicken for Mac 3.5.4 (mine was 4.3.1).

I was able to walk the user thru my workaround.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • macOS Monterey 12.6 on MacBook Pro 13" M1
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2016
    Craig said:

Linda, if it works for you then that is all that matters. Thanks for the response.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2016
    How do you hide, not delete categories ?
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2016

I hope that when you implement loans it provides full functionality...please do not leave out bits and pieces...I'd rather have nothing until it is complete than have a partially working feature, like lack of drill down to the transaction record or printing only for some things and not others, or export for some and not others, some reports allow memo, others do not...etc. I just encourage you to keep a feature set complete when implementing it...Thx

QM2017 is a DOWNgrade from Q2007.  Why did I do that?  Where is the simple Income Statement report?  Why isn't there a default new entry space in the register (so you don't have press command-N each time?  Shame on Intuit.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016

I hope that when you implement loans it provides full functionality...please do not leave out bits and pieces...I'd rather have nothing until it is complete than have a partially working feature, like lack of drill down to the transaction record or printing only for some things and not others, or export for some and not others, some reports allow memo, others do not...etc. I just encourage you to keep a feature set complete when implementing it...Thx

Yes, the reporting capabilities are still no mature and very under-developed in QM2017. I highly recommend that you read this post regarding how you can add your vote for the missing features: https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/does-quicken-for-mac-2017-have-an-income-stateme...

As for the blank entry, the work-around is to press Command-N instead of clicking Record or pressing the Enter/Return key. This will save the existing transaction and open a new one in one step, saving you a step.

That said, you can add your VOTE to Add Option to Stay in Edit Mode or to Hit Return/Enter To Open New Transaction.

First, click on the underlined link above to go there, then click VOTE at the top of THAT page, so your will vote count for THIS feature and increase its visibility to the developers.

While you are at it, you may want to add your VOTE to related IDEAS found on the List of Requests for Data Entry and Usability Options and Features. Click on the underlined link, then follow the instructions to add your vote to more related ideas.

• RCinNJ
    RCinNJ Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Marcus, when will you do a thread like this for QM 2017 4.4.0 which was released last week?
  • New User
    New User Member ✭✭
    edited January 2017

I dearly, dearly miss the ability of a two line registry display. I like to show most of the columns and its just too wide. Please bring a two line display like the windows version. I have friends that are holding of going to the Mac version because of that

I am going to be returning the MAC product because of the lack of the 2 line register. I will stick with an older Windows version for now.Hopefully they will address this
  • M C Crockett
    M C Crockett Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2017

I guess each of us has his/her preferences; however, I don't view the absence of a two line register display sufficient reason to give up on Quicken for Mac given the horrendous problems with the two line register display in Quicken for Windows 2017.

Having used Quicken for Mac since its public release in 2014, I have found the ability to select the data columns to be displayed in Quicken for Mac is far more useful than the Quicken for Windows' two line register display that is totally useless in Investment accounts.

Of course I'm not trying to use Quicken for Mac on a system with a 13" display.  But, I am planning to replace my current 30" display with something smaller this year with higher resolution.
  • John Kostenbader
    John Kostenbader Member ✭✭
    edited January 2017

I guess to each his own. I find I use almost all the columns in a typical checking account registry and although I have a large monitor I dislike the stretched out feeling. I don't really use investment accounts but I'd be willing to bet that almost every quicken user uses a checking account of sorts. I agree that giving up on Quicken for the lack of a two line display is not a good idea. There are lots of things to celebrate. To me the addition of a two line display would go a long way to help me visually organize a particular transaction. 

I also think there may be a difference between the person who grew up on Quicken (I started with the DOS version) and one who is starting to use the Mac version for the first time. The two line display was around for quite some time in the Windows version and I became comfortable with it and truthfully expected to see it in the Mac version. I'm also a big believer in keeping feature sets as consistent as possible across platforms. I truely hope that this is a feature that is realized in the near future.
  • New User
    New User Member ✭✭
    edited January 2017

I am not giving up on Quicken for the lack of the two line register, just not willing to make the switch to the MAC version of quicken. I am using an older version of QW in a Parallels VM that works well. Between the slight inconvenience of using Windows in the Mac (which I would still need for TurboTax Business - corporations) or lacking the two line option, I prefer to keep the windows version. I do not update yearly, maybe every 2 or 3 years. So my decision has little ,if any, financial effect on Quicken other than my copy and those of family and friends I influence. Just voicing what I view is a key feature that would have convinced me to switch.. I have been using quicken for many many years (also started with the DOS version).
  • megnmac
    megnmac Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2017

One thing that is really needed in Quicken Mac is a more consistent transaction selection logic for budgets and reports that are generated.

The transaction selection logic used to generate the Category Comparison report needs to be used to generate the Category Summary report.  In addition, this transaction selection logic needs to be used to select the transactions to be included in the Budget tool/report.

As a retiree, it was a pleasant surprise to discover that the Category Comparison report actually reported my IRA distributions in the Income section of the report.  It would be great if my IRA distributions were reported as income when generating a Budget.  At the moment, Budget is a useless feature of Quicken Mac as it doesn't include the IRA distributions (RMD withdrawals) while including the Federal, State, and Local taxes I pay on them in the Budget.

I am also looking for the budget to include investment income, as it is useless for me as it is. The category report is much more useful. As most of my expenses vary from month to month alerts, that I am over budget usually do not mean anything anyway.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited January 2017

What about handling of stock options transactions for investment accounts? it's absurd that the 2017 doesn't have this capability.

Quicken 2017 for Mac will no longer download transactions for Members First Credit Union/Utah
  • RCinNJ
    RCinNJ Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2017

What about handling of stock options transactions for investment accounts? it's absurd that the 2017 doesn't have this capability.

I believe a little more information is needed before anyone will be able to give advice. While I have been critical of Quicken for Mac 2017, not all problems with downloads are their fault, and sometimes the situation fixes itself in a day or so. For example: How long has it been? Did you confirm that you can log into the site normally? Did you restart QM and/or your computer?

I had the situation a few weeks ago where QM stopped downloading from a lender. When I logged on normally I discovered they added a level of security where you now have to get a code by phone or email and enter that before logging on. I don't see any way that Quicken can log on with this security. Very irritating, but this at least was not QM's fault.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited January 2017

I have done all of the above. It is an issue for Quicken to resolve. It has been 2 weeks. They can't even verify that the issue is being worked. You sound as though you think I don't know what I am doing. You are wrong.
  • RCinNJ
    RCinNJ Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2017

Sorry. I didn't think you did or didn't know what you are doing, but I couldn't tell from the information in your post. Yes, it is very frustrating that Quicken won't acknowledge problems. However, this is a user to user forum. We can only hope that the developers are monitoring and paying attention to user problems. Maybe someone else will have a suggestion for what else you can do to resolve it yourself.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2018
    $74.99 for phone support and bill download? And $150 regular price!? No thanks. I'll find something else if I need to.
  • RCinNJ
    RCinNJ Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2017
    If you are using QM 2016 or 17 I believe it should be free. I don't pay for any of these things.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2018

$74.99 for phone support and bill download? And $150 regular price!? No thanks. I'll find something else if I need to.

You probably did not contact the official Quicken support...read this: https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/please-be-aware-third-party-support-companies

Official Quicken support (chat or phone) is only found here and is free for QM2015+ users:
    https://www.quicken.com/support

This discussion has been closed.