Update R4 Causing Quicken Crashes

After R4 update, I have experienced frequent crashes every time I do anything related to the Online Bill feature.  I can't do the suggest R4 update of online bills.  I can't unlink an online bill, and I can't delete a reminder linked to an online bill.  Trying any of these results in an automatic crash.  I spent most of the afternoon in online chat with Quicken trying to fix this with no successful solution.  I have installed and uninstalled Quicken 2017, did the "clean" utility, and validated my Qdata file.  Nothing worked.  I am a very long term Quicken user and I usually don't have major problems with the software.  Not this time.

Comments

• UKRUKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Are you installing and running Quicken from a Windows User Account without Administrator Privileges?
    If yes, that could explain some of the issues.
    Normal Quicken operations can be run without Admin privileges.
    Software installation, patch installs (software updates) need Admin privileges. And this Online Biller update of R 4 should also be run while using a Windows Admin account. (Why? I read another user's post about running into problems while under a non-admin account)

While using a Windows Admin User Account ...
    1) -
    "2017 ... Release R4(or higher)", https://www.quicken.com/support/quicken-2017-windows-release-notes-updates-and-mondo-patch

Please do
    this:

Locate the Mondo Patch file in the link
    above.

Download it and save it to disk.

Temporarily disable your Antivirus software for the entire duration of the next
    step:

Right-click the downloaded patch file. Click "Run as Administrator"
    to execute the installation program.

This will replace any Quicken software modules with a known consistent release
    level and, hopefully, eliminate any software corruption or errors during
    installation as a cause of this issue.

2) Validate
    your Quicken data file. It may have become damaged over time or if you ever had
    crashes while running Quicken.

Please run this special procedure, skipping no steps:

- Make a copy of your data file: Click File / File Operations / Copy.  Do not change any Copy Option settings. Save
    file under a new name in same folder as current Quicken data file.  (The Copy process appears to be performing a
    record-by-record copy of the data file and not just a simple binary image copy.
    This has been reported as recovering some otherwise not repairable
    files)

- Open the copied file in Quicken.

- Click File / File Operations / Validate and Repair. Click Validate File,
    check to make sure the copied file is being validated, click OK. Let it run.

- Fix any errors logged as not repaired by Quicken.

- Click File / File
    Operations. Press and hold SHIFT+CTRL as you click Validate and Repair. The
    next popup should show "Supervalidate". Click Supervalidate File,
    check to make sure the copied file is being validated, click OK. Let it run. It
    might run for a while.

- Fix any errors logged as not repaired by Quicken.

Now close and restart Quicken using this new file and try your failing action
    again. If it works, keep using the new file and abandon the old one.

If that doesn't
    resolve the issue, you may have no recourse but to restore your Quicken data
    file from a Manual or Automatic Backup taken prior to the problem first
    occurring, if necessary going back to older backups until you find a file that
    does not exhibit these symptoms.

http://www.quicken.com/support/how-do-i-restore-quicken-data-file-backup-file

• edited January 2017
    I validate Qdata file during the long session on chat yesterday.  I have downloaded the mondo patch and run as administrator with antivirus protection turned off.  The software was unable to run. Got the message "an error occurred".  Details: "Index and length must refer to a location within the string.
    Parameter name: length"   Any other suggestions?
  • UKRUKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    I
    recommend you uninstall Quicken using this procedure:

http://www.quicken.com/support/using-qcleanui-uninstall-quicken

When done, reboot your computer and then reinstall Quicken from your CD (or
    saved downloaded installation file) and allow it to update to the latest
    available patch release level. Your Antivirus software needs to be temporarily
    disabled for the entire duration of the installation and update process.
  • edited January 2017
    I think I will try to operate Quicken 2017 as it is now and avoid the hazardous electronic bill section.  And then hope that Quicken will come out with a new update that will fix this bug.  I am hoping that will be soon.  I see that quicken came out today with update R4.1 but that did provide me with what's needed to make Quicken 2017 work properly on my Windows 10 PC desktop.
This discussion has been closed.