Investment account is missing and performance does not include the account.

Ringo22
Ringo22 Member ✭✭
edited December 2018 in Investing (Windows)
I am using Quicken 2015 H&B R12 w/ OS Windows 10.0.10586.545

In order to unlink a checking account from investment account (A) I moved all its holdings to a new account (B) on 12/21/16.  Today I wanted to review the investment performance for the holdings in the account.  I used investment performance for last year and included only accounts (A) and (B). It appears as if the data from 1/1/16 to 12/20/16, account (A) has been included, but starting value of (A) is understated as of 1/1/2016. I also looked at portfolio view by account and find account (A) value for 1/1/2015 is again understated and is the beginning value found in the investment performance output. Any suggestions

Comments

• thecreator
    thecreator SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Hi Ringo,

I don't know Investment Accounts, as I don't own any, but the latest Build for Windows 10 is Build 10586.753 not 545. You might wish to open Settings and then Update and security and check for Updates.

thecreator - User of Quicken Subscription R53.16 USA

Windows 10 Pro 32-Bit Build 19045.3693
    Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Build 19045.3754

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    @Ringo:  You have apparently started breaking this down by account.  That is a good first step.  Now you need to be checking on the individual securities.  

The Beginning Mkt Value of the Inv Perf Report should be the values as of the close of business on 1/1/16.  You can pull up a portfolio view (Ctrl-U) and set the as-of date to 1/1/16, customize or view by account and you should see a value for that date.  Is it the same as the report beginning value?  Are all the securities included.  Do they all have valid prices?  Are the same securities being included in the Inv Perf Report?  Pretty much, you should be able to either start with All securities being included in both presentations, then trimming away to identify any discrepancy; or start with a few securities that you confirm are in agreement both ways, and then continue to build up to identify the source of the discrepancy.  

Now if that is the process you are indicating you have started, "I also looked at portfolio view by account ..." then you need to chase into the details of where the understatement is.  What are you comparing against?  It may help to sort the portfolio view by Mkt Value to see if something is valued at $0.  

Another possibility:  If you have used any Corporate Spinoff transactions that generated transactions during the subject year or for prior years, that may have generated false valuations.  But typically, I would expect those to be excess valuations rather than lesser valuations.  [I do not use the Corporate Spinoff wizard because of the backdating it does in applying the data.]  
  • Ringo22
    Ringo22 Member ✭✭
    edited January 2017

Hi Ringo,

I don't know Investment Accounts, as I don't own any, but the latest Build for Windows 10 is Build 10586.753 not 545. You might wish to open Settings and then Update and security and check for Updates.

thecreator,

Thanks I am using Windows 10 Version 1607 for x64-based Systems (KB3211320) as of 1/24/17.  Not sure where I got the info 10.0.10586.545.
  • Ringo22
    Ringo22 Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    q,lurker,

I am using Windows 10 Version 1607 for x64-based Systems (KB3211320) as
    of 1/24/17.  Not sure where I got the info 10.0.10586.545.

My last sentence is also in accurate.  Starting value of account (A), appears to be correct for 1/1/16 in the portfolio view.  The starting value in the investment performance on 1/1/16 is way undervalued generating a performance of 53%.  My guess is it should be more like 5-7%. The issue seems to be that the portfolio value on 1/1/16 is not being ported to the starting value of the performance output.

Since there doesn't appear a way for me to validate how the starting value was created in the performance report I do not know what else to do. I have used file operations to validate the file.

Thanks for the response, will look for additional input.
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Ringo said:

q,lurker,

My last sentence is also in accurate.  Starting value of account (A), appears to be correct for 1/1/16 in the portfolio view.  The starting value in the investment performance on 1/1/16 is way undervalued generating a performance of 53%.  My guess is it should be more like 5-7%. The issue seems to be that the portfolio value on 1/1/16 is not being ported to the starting value of the performance output.

Since there doesn't appear a way for me to validate how the starting value was created in the performance report I do not know what else to do. I have used file operations to validate the file.

For the investment performance report, I would be looking at the securities included in the report customizations. Generally speaking, I would want all securities included, but you may have other reasons. I would also be looking at or for hidden securities. For example, if during the year, you disposed of a security and then hid it in Quicken, that security might be omitted from the beginning market value, but your ending market value would be correct.
  • mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Ringo, you mentioned this:

"In order to unlink a checking account from investment account (A) I moved all its holdings to a new account (B) on 12/21/16."

Can you explain in a bit more detail what the issue was that caused you to want to unlink checking from its associated investment account?

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Ringo22
    Ringo22 Member ✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Initially my investment account allowed me to use a linked checking account for normal banking.  I will no longer be able to continue using that account. Therefore all income will continue to go to the linked account unless it is un-linked. Simply un-linking reverts all of the linked transfer to revert back to the investment account.
  • Ringo22
    Ringo22 Member ✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Ringo said:

q,lurker,

q.lurker,

I have checked and believe all securities have been included in the performance output.  It seems that it is the starting balance of account (A) that is the problem.  It may be that the system has a problem with the transfer of investments by lot. Account (A) has 29 securities with many having had years of quarterly re-investments.
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Ringo said:

q,lurker,

If I was faced with that type of discrepancy, I would be chasing two ways. First would be starting small and building. Customize report for one security and be sure the data (Beg Mkt Val) made sense for that item. Then continue adding to the list of securities until something goes wrong. Research from there.

The second direction would be on times. Since the 1/1/16 data is off, what about 12/31/15, 1/2/16, something from earlier to 1/1/16.
  • Ringo22
    Ringo22 Member ✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Ringo said:

q,lurker,

q.lurker,

Thanks for the input given spare time I will try your suggestions although I have already tried using 12/31/15. Is there no assistance from Quicken developers on problems like this?  This doesn't look like EU problem.
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Ringo said:

q,lurker,

"no assistance from Quicken developers..."

Not really, IMO, unless the problem shows to be broad. To me this sounds very much like a end-user issue, not that you are doing anything specifically wrong. Just that what is happening is very specific to your database, data file.

That brings to mind another direction -- restoring a backup, mostly to see what Beg Mkt Val for 1/1/16 it would come up with.
This discussion has been closed.