Update on the Quicken Sale - Discussion

13»

Comments

• edited July 2016
    yobyot said:

Here's my response to Inuit's neglect of Quicken and the sale: https://www.yobyot.com/tech/quicken-has-been-sold-now-what/2016/03/06/

You are so right on, Quicken has tried to lock us into those models just as well. Try manually importing a downloaded file into certain types of accounts. Quicken won't even let you annually fix the situation because they are trying to force us into the downloaded data, which I'd prefer if WellsFargo and BofA etc did not want to tack on large fees per month for the pleasure.. I'm happy to pay for the organization but I've seen the software decline in responsiveness, increase in lock in and every effort to nickel and dime me to get my own data.
  • Gary DarbyGary Darby Member
    edited July 2016
    yobyot said:

Here's my response to Inuit's neglect of Quicken and the sale: https://www.yobyot.com/tech/quicken-has-been-sold-now-what/2016/03/06/

Maybe its me but i would not mind paying $200 a year if they would just provide great support and connect every institution I want to connect to.  Oh wait... I am already paying that amount - I am  paying Bank of America $10/month or $120/year and then I pay Quicken $104/year for their Quicken Premiere (with discounts about $80 /year).
  • edited July 2016
    yobyot said:

I know right, if they could just go subscription based and reduce the friction to near zero I'd be SOOOO happy
  • Gary DarbyGary Darby Member
    edited July 2016
    yobyot said:

Intuit has lost their bearings - First, I was a faithful docstoc client and instead of selling it they just shut it down. Now they sell off Quicken after they milked it for all they could. I think they hired the guy that started the failed "New Coke" campaign a number of years back.  

I also use QuickBooks for my business - 15 years ago no one could compete with how good their support was i.e until outsourcing.  A couple of years back I called support for a sales tax question and got an outsourced company in India.  The support girl said she would be glad to help me after i explained to her what sales tax is.  Seriously?
  • joecommjoecomm Member
    edited July 2016
    yobyot said:

I remain amazed as to why people still use commercial banks like Wells Fargo & BoFA instead of a credit union.  At CU's, checking is usually free (you have to pay for checks, of course), minimum balance requirements are "minimum", anywhere from $5 to $100 typically, ATM is free at their network machines or you can go to most stores that give cash back on a purchase of a pack of gum, such as a supermarket or drug store.  You can get free credit cards and all kinds of loans.  And I know my CU does not charge anything extra per month to download transactions into Quicken.  Stop being a commercial banking chump and switch to a CU.

As to the sale of Quicken to a PE company, I have my fingers crossed but sadly, the history of PE acquisitions is the company gets loaded with debt and then closed down.
  • edited July 2016
    yobyot said:

Because we prefer a financial institution with many branches. I also have a credit union account (since 1969) but the closest branch is 75 miles away; I'm planning on moving out of state in about a year or so where the CU doesn't have a branch. Thus I'm staying with Wells Fargo (account opened in 1978) because they DO have branches there. ATM use is free for me at WFB machines, btw.

My IRA is at the credit union (earning abysmal interest) and my MasterCard is from the credit union.
  • davekrdavekr Member
    edited July 2016
    make qmac = qwin and I'll return! after 15 years with qwin, switching to mac and the lame answers quicken delivered as to why qmac lagged sorely behind, I gave up and went with iBank
  • joecommjoecomm Member
    edited July 2016
    yobyot said:

Why do you need many branches?  For ATM's?  As I mentioned, you can get cash when making purchases at almost any store (even the US Post Office!) and it doesn't have to be in denominations of $20.  

My CU office is about 45 miles away and I have not been there in years.  I mostly do my banking online or at another CU a few blocks away that is part of the "Shared Member" network.  There are thousands of member CU's if I remember correctly.  I can go into this other CU and deposit check, make withdrawals.

I'm not picking on you but judging from the dates you reference, you sound like someone who is set in their ways and not willing to consider that banking and technology has changed significantly in the last 10-15 years. It costs a lot more to stay with commercial banks.
  • RickORickO SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    yobyot said:

This thread is about the sale of Quicken, not about banks vs credit unions. Please stop hijacking this thread. There are plenty of banking forums on which to have this discussion.
  • edited July 2016
    yobyot said:

Sorry, Rick, but I felt his last sentence of the first paragraph deserved an answer.
  • jacobsjacobs SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    @romad: I think you're off-base, on both counts. Intuit is hardly exiting the consumer space. Ever heard of a little product called Turbotax? How about Mint? I think they were pretty transparent about wanting to move to more of a cloud-based services model, and away from desktop products. I don't know what that means for the future of the desktop versions of TT or QuickBooks, but since both have growing cloud user bases that probably points towards Intuit's future. Quicken was a small product in the Intuit portfolio, and they weren't giving it a lot of resources, so it was stagnating. Whether the new owners, with an infusion of cash to increase the development staff and improve customer service and marketing, can grow sales of a desktop consumer finance product is what we'll have to wait and see.

On the timing front, we really don't know what went on behind closed doors, so your comments are purely speculative. You state that there were no parties interested in Quicken, but what if there were actually multiple companies expressing interest, kicking the tires, and making proposals? Whatever the case, let's agree that it takes time for companies to meet, review financial and sales records and do their due diligence to determine if there's a match, and to negotiate valuation of the business. In this case, there were also doubtless contracts for services that had to be worked out with Intuit, since parts of Quicken will continue to rely on Intuit back-end services for the foreseeable future. This doesn't happen in a week or two. I'd also note that Quicken employees were working on back-end changes to things like the beta testing site, the knowledge base on this site, plans for the next generation of this site, etc., and new hires were taking place, long before the sale was recently announced, which indicates that management knew what was happening while the t's were being crossed and the i's dotted. While it may have been about 6 months between the two announcements, it's not like the For Sale sign was twisting in the wind for 5 months until H.I.G. showed up a few weeks ago.
    QMac 2007 & QMac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • edited July 2016
    Ah, I understand now. They just want to get away from "physical" software and concentrate on "nebulous" software. ;-)

As for TT, if they go the same route, I'll have to move to H&R Block's TaxCut or to TaxAct. I've been with TurboTax since it was called MacinTax. I don't like having sensitive financial/tax info "in the cloud".

Edit: Just checked on TaxAct and it seems to only be available for download on a PC; for Mac you have to use their online product.
  • winslowwinslow Member
    edited July 2016
    Thanks Alex for the link to your blog. I'm a Quicken Mac user since 1989 (really!) and I do know that we all feel your pain. My business had to buy a new accounting workstation this year, which meant a new version of QuickBooks. Problem is, there's really nothing new in this year's version. This because they want everyone to subscribe annually to the online version, which of course leaves them no incentive to deliver upgrades ... ever again. Is the original guy who developed Quicken part of the new management/HIG buyout team? There was something online that indicated he was still there as of the date of the sale, so if it's his vision that HIG adopts, we might actually see some improvement. But there's no way that any breath gets held for that long-shot to come true.
  • BillGBillG Member
    edited January 2017
    The MFA(multi-factor authorization) can be turned on/off (default is on) from your quicken(Intuit) account. under security.

It will be interesting to see how they fully  untangle Quicken from Intuit. Will it be via a release to QK 2016 or QK 2017
  • edited July 2016
    RE turning off the MFA, is this doen at the Intuit site or within Quicken...and is it for Q Windows or Mac or both?  By turning it off, does that mean you don't have to use the Intuit ID to be able to download?
  • Quicken TamaraQuicken Tamara Member, Employee ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    You cannot turn it off, Quicken will still prompt for the 6-digit code when the token expires. Quicken Windows 2016 resolves a problem with the persistent prompt for that code, fixed in the R6 update. Currently, that patch is available only through contacting Quicken Support as part of our managed release process. When managed release confirms no new critical issues, then that update will be available through auto-patch.
  • BillGBillG Member
    edited January 2017
    Understood, thanks, Awaiting the official release of R6 to fix this problem.
  • solostormsolostorm Member
    edited July 2016
    yobyot said:

Please fix the OneClick Export from Intuit Payroll to Quicken.
  • q_lurkerq_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    [mention://1341828 @FatBoy01] :  Old news.  That article was from 2 months ago.
  • edited July 2016
    @q.lurker .. Old news but I wanted to bring the topic back to light.
  • NotACPANotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    yobyot said:

[mention://1467970 @solostorm] Please start your own new question.  You post has NOTHING to do with the sale of Q.
    Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor"
  • Em GeeEm Gee Member
    edited January 2017
    Hi Eric:

Very Exciting News for you and the management team. However for the users, we're still looking for resolutions to basic problems.

After using Quicken 2015 for about 18 months, a bug was uncovered in users programs. Your tech support people encouraged users to upgrade to 2016, which I did I'm on Release 10 (25.1.10.1). The exact bug resides there too, and users are reporting the same bug in 2017.

In short, the MS Keyboard shortcuts (Control key + c, v, etc.) stop working after an indeterminate amount of minutes, see one of the blogs https://getsatisfaction.com/quickenco...

I would like to endorse your products and purchase and use others, but until this one is resolved, I and others will stay away.

Mike, a current and unhappy user.