Trying to sell and Quicken 2017 tellin me I have 0 shares

Unknown
Unknown Member
edited November 2018 in Investing (Windows)
I am using Quicken 2017 for Windows. I have a Fidelity Cash Reserve account with $238 ($1/share). I am trying to sell shares to move into the Cash account and I get a message that I am trying to sell more than the available shares and that the available shares are zero, when I have in fact $238 in the account.

Comments

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    How are you recording your FCR in Quicken?  As a mutual fund?  OR, in your brokerage account, do you have "Show cash in a checking account" checked?

If as a fund, check prior transactions to see if one (or more) of them is incorrect or duplicated.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    When you are looking at the Register and you click on Holdings, does it say you have 238 shares of the security you are trying to sell? That should be the number that are available to sell. Perhaps you have two almost-identical securities and you are trying to sell the wrong one. 
    QWin Premier subscription
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited January 2017
    It's actually 272.53 shares that appear under holdings.  I have tried it as a stock, mutual fund and other with the same results.  I have it as a cash asset class.
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    In your Security list, tick the box to show hidden securities. Do you have two securities with names similar to the one you are trying to sell, one with 0 shares? That might cause this problem.

Also are you downloading transactions from Fidelity, or entering everything manually? If downloading and you click the gear at the top right of the Register and select reconcile shares, does Quicken show a discrepancy?

Sometimes with brokerages (TD Ameritrade for example) it is confusing because the downloaded data treats the settlement account as cash that earns interest rather than a separate money market fund. Thus you have this weird security (TDA calls it MMDA2, cusip 9ZZZFD203) that pays interest to your cash account but has no shares. 
    QWin Premier subscription
This discussion has been closed.