Restore Transactions Downloading Acceptance and Matching workflow to Quicken Mac (317 Legacy Votes)

Comments

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited February 2017
    Jay Bonk said:

I relied on this in Quicken 2015 for Windows.  Switching to the Mac Version, and not having the capability is disappointing.  Please add the functionality that allows review of downloaded transactions prior to adding or updating them in the register.  I switched to the Mac version as to not need to run a VM.  However, this functionality is a requirement, without it I will have to consider returning to the Windows version, or some other tool

RickO,

This is helpful. :)

I would like to filter the view the third type of transaction (orange pencil - not matched; not reviewed).

However, when I choose the "Not Reviewed" status, I only see the blue (dot and pencil) transactions that are Not Reviewed.

Is this a bug?

The "Any Status" pull down menu mixes tags and categories and review status, but is still very helpful.

Another Filter menu list with the "Match Status" options would help solve the problem (Manual not matched, Manual matched, Downloaded matched, Downloaded not matched). Is that a future option?

Thanks!
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited February 2017
    Jay Bonk said:

I tried the suggestion above, and when filtering on not reviewed - I only saw those w/ a blue dot.  The matched - blue pencil are excluded by the filter.  How can I see both?  In windows, the were displayed as 'match' for the blue pencils, and 'new' for the blue dot.  But both appear in the 'Accept cleared transactions into register' list

Jay,

The "Not Reviewed" filter isn't working for me either (see above.)

Do you see the "orange pencil" transactions when the filter status is "Not Reviewed"?

Thanks!
  • RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited February 2017
    Jay Bonk said:

I relied on this in Quicken 2015 for Windows.  Switching to the Mac Version, and not having the capability is disappointing.  Please add the functionality that allows review of downloaded transactions prior to adding or updating them in the register.  I switched to the Mac version as to not need to run a VM.  However, this functionality is a requirement, without it I will have to consider returning to the Windows version, or some other tool

Yes, I'd say it's a bug. I've reported it to the developers.

As for a Matched Status filter, nothing in the works that I've heard of. You could write up an IDEA post for it. But probably a low priority.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • RickO
    edited February 2017
    Jay Bonk said:

I tried the suggestion above, and when filtering on not reviewed - I only saw those w/ a blue dot.  The matched - blue pencil are excluded by the filter.  How can I see both?  In windows, the were displayed as 'match' for the blue pencils, and 'new' for the blue dot.  But both appear in the 'Accept cleared transactions into register' list

Jay & Kurt... In my testing, orange pencil transactions are excluded, but both blue pencil and blue dot transactions are included when filtered. I've reported the former the Quicken team and will try to post back here if I hear anything.

Jay, what version of QM are you running? There were some fixes for the Status icons in a recent update to QM2017. That may be why you are having the problem with blue pencil filtering that Kurt and I are not.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited February 2017
    Jay Bonk said:

Thanks Rick!

Fixing the bug will do it for me :)
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited February 2017
    Jay Bonk said:

I'm running the latest version of Quicken for Mac 2017 - No outstanding updates to be applied
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited February 2017
    Steven said:

Here's my take on the rewrite.  I'm pleased they built the product from the ground up. Especially since Apple continues to upgrade their OS.

However, it was a feature in the 2007 version and its a feature in the Widnows versions. It was in those versions because it was a great feature. They took 8 years to rebuild the program. Mac 2015 release should have come out of the box with more features as in the Windows versions.  

This method of having us vote for features is nice but they don't publish the voting results.  So it seems to me they just do what they want when they want instead of listening to their customers. The feature, manually accepting downloads, should be on the vote list if they are listening.

This is the problem with the feature not being native to the program.  Work a rounds.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2018
    JWL said:

The ability to review downloads bank and credit card transactions before I accept and categorize them (manually) helps greatly in quickly catching fraudulent charges. Seems to me this is a no-brained decision to add this valuable Windows feature to Mac.

Totally agree, it should be there and we need more votes to get the feature implemented in the next update. Please remember to vote at the top of the page.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited January 2018
    Jay Bonk said:

Work a rounds are ok but we need the function integrated into the program.  this should be native.  We pay the same price for a Mac version but don't get the same features or functionality as the Windows version.  I really like the function of being able to accept a transaction into the register. I find that about 30% of the transaction  downloaded don't match my manually entered ones.  If I could accept it or delete it before its entered in my register I would have to manually look for duplicates when I reconcile.
  • Quicken Jeff
    Quicken Jeff Member, Employee admin
    edited February 2017
    Jay Bonk said:

Please note. I just entered a defect for the engineering team. Orange pencil should be included when "Not Reviewed" register filter is selected.

Thanks for bringing this to our attention.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Jay Bonk said:

@Jay Bonk, just remember to click VOTE at the top to of this page add your vote for this feature.

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited March 2018
    I agree with the need to select/not select auto matching.  That said, I would like auto matching better if the code for matching criteria were refined.  

For example:  QMac 2016/2017 matches my transactions that are:
    1) the same AMOUNT within a ~ two week date range even if the PAYEE names or other relevant fields have no similar letters (don't match at all).
    2) NOT the same AMOUNT if the date range is close and the PAYEE matches.  

These really mess up my reconciliations if I don't catch them.  I was a QWin user for almost 20 years before moving to QMac, and I don't recall the issue.  I do appreciate the QMac rebuild though so please keep the changes going! :)
  • Jen112
    Jen112 Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    1991QUser said:

I agree with the need to select/not select auto matching.  That said, I would like auto matching better if the code for matching criteria were refined.  

For example:  QMac 2016/2017 matches my transactions that are:
    1) the same AMOUNT within a ~ two week date range even if the PAYEE names or other relevant fields have no similar letters (don't match at all).
    2) NOT the same AMOUNT if the date range is close and the PAYEE matches.  

These really mess up my reconciliations if I don't catch them.  I was a QWin user for almost 20 years before moving to QMac, and I don't recall the issue.  I do appreciate the QMac rebuild though so please keep the changes going! :)

I too have been a QWin user since the very beginning...and switching now to Qmac 2017 is very unsettling because I am never very sure what has happened or is happening when the downloads occur.  
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited March 2017
    Again, this is nothing if not frustrating.... I manually entered a payment that I scheduled on the Amex website - the date in Quicken was the date entered, not the date scheduled.  Now that the transaction downloaded - Quicken didn't recognize the manually entered transaction.  Now, I have two transactions - one I entered, and one that was downloaded.

In the Windows version - I could manually match the transaction in this type of situation.  How do I do this in the Mac version?

This is turning into a deal breaker. I'm seriously at the point of reverting back to Windows, or considering switching to Banktivity. In either case, I would expect a full refund on the Mac version,

If the software was 100% accurate 100% of the time - that's one thing.  But it's not - so I need a way to make manual corrections.  A simple, intuitive, easy to follow way.  Exactly what you have in the Windows version for dealing with downloads. 

After switching and finding the Mac version less than stellar Having now googled questions about the Mac version  - it's interesting to see the number of comments, posts, etc. about how the Mac version has always lagged behind the Windows version and the amount of negative sentiment towards the Mac version.
  • Rtang
    Rtang Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    @Jay Bonk : Drag and drop the downloaded transaction to the manual one.  Q will 'learn' the match that way for future.
  • Quicken Colin
    Quicken Colin Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Jay Bonk said:

Again, this is nothing if not frustrating.... I manually entered a payment that I scheduled on the Amex website - the date in Quicken was the date entered, not the date scheduled.  Now that the transaction downloaded - Quicken didn't recognize the manually entered transaction.  Now, I have two transactions - one I entered, and one that was downloaded.

In the Windows version - I could manually match the transaction in this type of situation.  How do I do this in the Mac version?

This is turning into a deal breaker. I'm seriously at the point of reverting back to Windows, or considering switching to Banktivity. In either case, I would expect a full refund on the Mac version,

If the software was 100% accurate 100% of the time - that's one thing.  But it's not - so I need a way to make manual corrections.  A simple, intuitive, easy to follow way.  Exactly what you have in the Windows version for dealing with downloads. 

After switching and finding the Mac version less than stellar Having now googled questions about the Mac version  - it's interesting to see the number of comments, posts, etc. about how the Mac version has always lagged behind the Windows version and the amount of negative sentiment towards the Mac version.

Creating a separate conversation

Please reference the new conversation here: How do I match transactions in Quicken for Mac?
  • Quicken Colin
    Quicken Colin Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Rtang said:

@Jay Bonk : Drag and drop the downloaded transaction to the manual one.  Q will 'learn' the match that way for future.

Splitting off to add response to new conversation

Please reference the new conversation here: To add to new conversation
  • steve45
    steve45 Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Totally agree... would make life alt easier. Wa vet helpful in the windows version.
  • Jen112
    Jen112 Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    I have noticed that when downloading transactions, nothing gets put in the Notes/Memo field.  In QW2014 and prior, the memo field was populated with transaction reference information.  Why did this disappear?
  • RickO
    edited February 2017
    Jen said:

I have noticed that when downloading transactions, nothing gets put in the Notes/Memo field.  In QW2014 and prior, the memo field was populated with transaction reference information.  Why did this disappear?

What you are looking for can be found in the "FI Notes" column. You can enable this column for view by clicking menu View > Columns > FI Notes.

I for one prefer that this info not be pasted into the Memo field, thus leaving the memo field open for just information I add.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Alumni
    edited February 2017
    Jen said:

Separate topic discussion

Please reference the new conversation here: Where are downloaded Financial Institution notes found?
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited April 2017
    Beating my head against a wall here and this just confirms the pain won't end anytime soon. I was using Quicken Home and Business in a dual boot Window instance for years. It was JUST what I needed--loved the intuitive interface, the intelligent little details that program would do for me, the reporting--but it was so incredibly laborious to have to dual boot and I would often fall behind in simple book-keeping since I had to stop everything in my workflow to hop over and work on accounting in a *gag* Windows environment. I tried a couple different other Mac programs and they are terrible, so I decided fine...I would bite the bullet and buy Quicken for Mac, even though it isn't everything I need compared to Home & Business, it has to be better than my other options.

And then I find half the functionality that made my previous Quicken experience so stellar isn't even included in the Mac version! I could scream right now. I have my tax appointment tomorrow and thought I would just be able to import my QFX files and be off to the races, but instead I am tearing my hair out, searching through multiple websites (are there TWO Quicken websites now??), FAQ's, and "customer support" like this (which is often us blind leading the blind on an open forum in the guise of "customer support"), just to discover I just threw money at a hobbled version of Quicken. Disappointed doesn't even cover it.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited March 2018
    I recently upgraded from an older version of Quicken for Mac and was very surprised to find that I can't see which transactions downloaded from my bank are being entered into my Quicken register. I want the ability to review transactions after they're downloaded so I can, for example, unmatch transactions if I think that Quicken is going to match them with the wrong entries in my register. Why was this feature removed from recent versions of QfM??
  • RickO
    edited June 2017
    patty1 said:

I recently upgraded from an older version of Quicken for Mac and was very surprised to find that I can't see which transactions downloaded from my bank are being entered into my Quicken register. I want the ability to review transactions after they're downloaded so I can, for example, unmatch transactions if I think that Quicken is going to match them with the wrong entries in my register. Why was this feature removed from recent versions of QfM??

Two things: 
    (1) turn on the Status and Match Status columns in the register for indications of newly downloaded transaction and how they are matched
    (2) If a downloaded transaction gets matched incorrectly, right click on the transaction and choose "Reject Automatic Transaction Match".

These are not quite the same as a separate download acceptance window, but to my way of thinking,  they are functionally equivalent and more streamlined.
  • steve45
    steve45 Member ✭✭
    edited June 2017
    patty1 said:

I also miss the ability to review transactions before they are entered into the register. The Match Status column is the best alternative.
  • plynnsch
    plynnsch Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    patty1 said:

Done all of the above. I still hate the convoluted reconciliation process in quicken for mac. Been at it 6 months now and it just DOES NOT compare to windows. Give me a recon window, let me match, and show the big capital R so I know it is reconciled. Used to be so simple.
  • Jen112
    Jen112 Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    patty1 said:

I agree...I really have to concentrate and compare transactions very carefully using the Mac version....there should not be so many differences between the Mac and Windows versions....
  • steve45
    steve45 Member ✭✭
    edited June 2017
    patty1 said:

It is a real challenge to get a paper statement to reconcile with transactions that have been downloaded.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited June 2017
    patty1 said:

Agreed - I'm still struggling with this.  I posted 4 months back about it.  I'm running QW2105 in a VM and QM in parallel.  It's ludicrous that with QM I'm getting double entries when someone holds a check.

I have to see what was done on the Windows version to fix the issue on the Mac. 

I'm about ready to pull the plug on the Mac version and just stay w/ the Windows version.

I'm going to email Intuit and see if I can get credit for the Mac version and just upgrade the Windows one.  

I honestly tried to get this to work, but it a far inferior product compared to it's Windows counterpart
  • Concordman
    Concordman Mac Beta Beta
    edited August 2018
    Meaning folks no disrespect I'm abit confused as to the concerns with matching transactions in QM ; I enter all my transactions manually either directly in to the respective register or via the mobile app, in both cases the transactions show in the registers with the "orange pencil" which signifies the manual entry. When the transactions download I note that the transactions with the "orange pencil" are replaced with the "blue pencil" and the "blue check " off in the Clr column signifying the transaction s have been matched . before I mark the items reviewed I briefly compare the transactions to the paper receipts. When I'm satisfied I mark all items reviewed.

Others have counseled adding the matched column , which if needed for one's piece of mind is easy enough. When reconciliation is implemented either electronically or manual via the statement ( I do both) the blue check mark is replaced by a green circled check mark ✅.

@RickO, as I recall from QW13 premier transactions showed up as matched in the download window which would then be accepted. I believe that is how I remember it.

While I feel as many here that QM has limitations wrt to QW & Q2007 this threads issue while not identical to the way QW acts is the least of the issues holding folks back from getting of QW & their VM's . Reportiing, reports & investments limitations are IMHO the major impediment s for a full embrace of QM.