Quicken Canada product page needs to explain what happens if the person stops paying for the subscri

QPWQPW Member ✭✭✭✭
The product page (https://www.quicken.com/canada/compare) states that it is now subscription based (1 year period), but it doesn't state what happens if the user doesn't pay the subscription.

It needs to be clearly defined if they can still use Quicken in a manual mode or not.

Comments

• edited November 2017
    I would like to know this as well, what is the subscription for?
  • mccreamccrea Member
    edited October 2018
    Sounds like a cash grab.  Greed knows no bounds. They want you to pay a full product cost every year forever. Cost is way too high for an annual subscription for Canada. Time to look at other products.
  • splashersplasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2017
    mccrea said:

Sounds like a cash grab.  Greed knows no bounds. They want you to pay a full product cost every year forever. Cost is way too high for an annual subscription for Canada. Time to look at other products.

I am not endorsing or condemning the subscription business model, BUT EVERY year at this time when users find out that their three year old version of Quicken will cease to be able to download from their financial institutions, there is this huge up roar and one thing they always ask for is a subscription model, so now Quicken has decided to do it with the Canadian version first and the users on the other side of the argument come out and complain that they are doing a subscription model.

I think the only thing every one would be happy with is if they gave it away for free forever.  Now, how long do you think they would stay in business with that business model?

I don't know what the right price point is, but only time will tell if the concept works for Quicken.
    -splasher  using Q since 1996 -  QW2016, 2017 & Subscription  -  Win7/Win10
    -Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list

• mccreamccrea Member
    edited November 2017
    mccrea said:

In the past(goes way back) I have been paying $20-$40 for 3 years.  I would usually wait for a discounted price before buying.  So this new subscription is basically tripling my cost.  Too much of an increase for no real increase in the value of the product. It is about double what I would consider appropriate for this sort of subscription.  Also, there are a lot of free apps out there now too.  
  • QPWQPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    I'm always amazed at how naive the Quicken customers are.  Intuit and now Quicken Inc has always had a "big filter" on what they hear from the customer.

Customer asks for downloading loan transactions.
    Customer asks for the loan schedule calculator to do weird oddball schedules.
    Customer thinks they are going to get a download just like they have in other accounts, and extended loan calculator to handle all their cases.

Quicken Inc comes up with a loan account that downloads exactly what the financial institution says it should be, and restricts the user from "messing with it".

Customer asks for a subscription.
    Customer think they are going to get to keep their decades old version of Quicken and pay less than it would cost them for even one year of Quicken, which they have only being paying every three years.

Quicken Inc hears "I want to always have the latest version of Quicken, for a bit lower price than if I paid for it every year."

No matter how many times SuperUsers tried to explain that they were already doing a subscription system for the online services.  It is called buy Quicken once every three years.

Well now all this complaining seems to have taken the choice off of the table for the Canadian customer (and they weren't even the ones that with the most calls for this).  And I expect if the outrage isn't too much they will be trying the same thing next year for Quicken US.
  • QPWQPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    BTW Quicken Inc.  It should also be clearly defined if not subscribing for the year means the online services are cut off or that they just don't get the latest version of Quicken when it comes out.
  • QPWQPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    BTW one of the things that occurred to me is that the terms might not in fact be set in granite yet.
    It seems to me that given the feedback from the customers they can do anything from:
    1. Software stops working if someone doesn't pay the subscription fee.  (Extremely bad idea!)
    2. It just stops allowing importing.
    3. Basically
      restoring to what the old 3 year model does, and the only real
      difference is that if you keep up the subscription you get the newest
      version for a bit cheaper than you would if you bought it a full price
      every year.
  • rrumballrrumball Member
    edited October 2018
    The FAQ states what happens if you do not renew your subscription:

What happens to the program when access to Quicken Connected Services ends?

You'll no longer have access to connected services, like the ability to download banking transactions or investment quotes, mobile access, or premium care. While you can always access your data, other features of the product may be limited

Ref. https://www.quicken.com/support/quick...
  • QPWQPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2017
    rrumball said:

You'll no longer have access to connected services, like the ability to download banking transactions or investment quotes, mobile access, or premium care. While you can always access your data, other features of the product may be limited

rrumball  Thank you, I missed that.

Well I guess the "whiners" for a subscription have changed what was a basically a 3.5 year subscription to a 1 year one.  With the only difference being that the 3.5 year subscription started at the time of the release of that version of Quicken.
    And now the 1 year subscription starts when it is purchased.

Actually it gets worse.  (From the FAQ) It seems the subscription is tied to the Intuit Id.
    This makes the product even more expensive than it was in the past, and more likely to have problems.

Before it was install on 3 machine, and you could use any amount of Intuit Ids.  Well Intuit Ids are attached to things like Quicken mobile.  And it has always been highly recommended that each different data file have a different Intuit Id.  But now they are telling people "one Intuit Id connected to subscription has to be used, but you can have multiple data files".  You certainly can't have mobile working that way.
    And if this is used for the US there are also things like Online Bill presentment attached to an Intuit Id.
    And past these problems there is the simple fact that because of various problems one of the recommended workarounds to some problems is to create a new Intuit Id and use it.  And now that wouldn't be possible without at least Quicken support getting involved in moving your information to the new Intuit Id.

One important question I don't see answered is:

Say a person does pay the subscription fee each year, but because of some problem, they don't want to use the most current version of Quicken, can they still use the online services?

Personally I see nothing about this new business model that is good for the customer.
  • StephenStephen Member
    edited February 2017
    rrumball said:

To QPW  There is at least one additional limitation that did not exist before.  Up until now, you could continue to use an older version of Quicken after 3 1/2 years if you were willing to input transactions manually.  with the new model, you can no longer do that.  You will have access to your data, but you won't be able to update it if you let your subscription lapse.
  • QPWQPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2017
    rrumball said:

Stephen are you sure of that?

That is in fact one of the "needs to explain" I was talking about.
    It is far from clear to me, which way it works.

I have a feeling that all they really did is change the way they deactivate the online servers.
  • volvogirlvolvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2017
    rrumball said:

Yikes, just saw that.  No Manual Transactions!

• QuickenUserDCQuickenUserDC Member
    edited February 2017
    rrumball said:

That is really unreasonable to be - to prevent manual entry of transactions. That basically makes Quicken unusable. I guess you could use it for reporting and stuff but really now, no manual updating??
  • QPWQPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2017
    rrumball said:

volvogirl Thanks!  I missed that.

That is just unreasonable!

And I think that ever Quicken user (US or Canadian) should be complaining and let Quicken Inc know that they need to change it!

After all this is "pilot testing", and if they don't get negative feedback on it they will try it on the US version next year.
  • NotACPANotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2017
    rrumball said:

Were I Canadian, that would cause me to buy Q2016 and never buy another Q product.  I'd have until 4/30/19 for downloads and manual input after that.
    Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor"
  • QPWQPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2017
    rrumball said:

I agree.  And especially for the Canadian version.  it has very few financial institutions that support Express Web Connect (Direct Connect isn't supported at all), and as such a good portion of the people have to use Web Connect to get their transactions.  So I would just replace that with importing QIF files.
  • StephenStephen Member
    edited February 2017
    rrumball said:

Reply to QPW

You asked if I was sure that you could not manually add transactions if you allowed your subscription to expire.  The following is a quote from the material Quicken has put up on the Quicken Canada Order Questions page relating to Canadian subscriptions

"Your Quicken data file will remain on your computer, and you can continue to access your data even if you choose not to continue with your subscription. You'll no longer have access to connected services, like the ability to download banking transactions or investment quotes, mobile access, or premium care. While you can continue to access your data and run reports, you'll no longer be able to download transactions, or add manual transactions."
  • NotACPANotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2017
    rrumball said:

That's what volvogirl reported 7 hours ago ... and it was her posting that many of these replies pertain to.
    Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor"
  • QPWQPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2017
    rrumball said:

Yes VolvoGirl pointed that out to me too. :-)

That is VERY big negative.  Like NotACPA said, I wouldn't buy it under those conditions.  And I have a feeling people not buying it is about all the people that made a decision like that would understand.
  • Bylo SelhiBylo Selhi Member
    edited November 2017
    rrumball said:

Re: "Your Quicken data file will remain on your computer, and you can continue to access your data even if you choose not to continue with your subscription. You'll no longer have access to connected services, like the ability to download banking transactions or investment quotes, mobile access, or premium care. While you can continue to access your data and run reports, you'll no longer be able to download transactions, or add manual transactions."

Like others I want to express my most adamant objection to this change in policy. The $90/year subscription fee is a cash grab. I can understand that even if I don't like it. But this is extortion.

Under the old model if you didn't want to upgrade you could continue to use Quicken manually. Under this model your use of the product ends completely. It effectively becomes a read-only snapshot of your data as of the date of expiration. This breaks the trust between Quicken and its user base.

This is completely unacceptable.

By subscribing to this new model you also consent to this new extortion racketbusiness model. When you upgrade to 2017 your data gets converted. You can't go back. So in 2018 you can't go back to an earlier version like 2016 or 2015 and manually update your data.

Think long and hard before you pull the trigger on the 2017 version.
    edited February 2017
    rrumball said:

Seems like the proper response is to purchase and then immediately apply for a refund to get your voice heard and possibly get Quicken, Inc's attention to this terrible new policy.

• Bylo SelhiBylo Selhi Member
    edited November 2017
    rrumball said:

For completeness, this new business model is also spelled out in the FAQ Quicken Canada Order Questions

See questions "What happens to the program when access to Quicken Connected Services ends?", "What happens to my file when my access to Quicken Connected Services ends?" and "What happens to my data when my access to Quicken Connected Services ends?"

FWIW I refuse to upgrade to Q2017 under these conditions. I'll continue with my older version and start to update transactions manually in the future when it expires.

So if this policy remains Quicken will have lost a customer who bought their first copy in the MS-DOS days and has been faithfully upgrading periodically ever since. I assume this isn't the outcome that Quicken anticipated.
    edited March 2017
    Today I contacted Quicken customer service (case number 00528493) regarding the statements in the FAQ and the agent indicated "No, You can manually enter your data or information. The only exception is the online banking services." I asked them to please clarify the FAQ to clearly state this or I would likely refund my Quicken 2017 and just stay with my current version. The person indicated that this confusion would be brought to the attention of management. We'll see if the FAQ gets updated/clarified.
  • LaurieLaurie Member
    edited October 2018
    • What happens to my file when my access to Quicken Connected Services ends?
      Your
      Quicken data file will remain on your computer, and you can continue to
      access your data even if you choose not to continue with your
      subscription. You'll no longer have access to connected services, like
      the ability to download banking transactions or investment quotes,
      mobile access, or premium care. While you can continue to access your
      data and run reports, you'll no longer be able to download transactions,
      or add manual transactions.

The FAQ was updated on Jan 31, 2017.
    https://www.quicken.com/support/quicken-canada-order-questions

So the data file will become READ ONLY.
    edited February 2017
    Laurie said:

Your

Customer service indicated today (Feb 2) that this would not be the case. Hopefully Quicken can clear-up this up soon or else they will certainly lose many customers. 

I'm hoping it just means that manually adding transactions via the mobile app would no longer be possible (i.e. that syncing functionality is lost).
  • QPWQPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Laurie said:

Your

What I expect is that it will be just like it is now for Quicken 2016 and below, when the 3.5 years is up.  All online services will stop working.  That would mean, mobile, downloading transactions, online portfolio, ...
    edited October 2018
    I find it interesting, soooo many comments, but as of this point in time, this post only has 3 "Me Too" votes.

Hey folks, votes talk a language that Quicken just might listen to.  

SPEAK UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• QPWQPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Laurie said:

Your

P.S. Thanks rrumball contacting Quicken support on this.  It wouldn't be the first time that someone wrote the wrong documentation, so hopefully this will all be cleared up.
  • Quicken KathrynQuicken Kathryn Administrator ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Laurie said:

Your

Hi All,
    The FAQ is the correct information--@rrumball, I'm sorry you were given incorrect info by the agent you talked to--I'll follow up with the team to make sure they're providing the correct FAQ.

Thanks,
    Quicken Kathryn
    Quicken Kathryn
    Community Administrator
  • QPWQPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Laurie said:

Your

Well thanks for clarifying that Kathryn, but I can tell you that if this policy is used next year for the US product, Quicken 2017 will most likely be the last version of Quicken I use.
This discussion has been closed.