phantom opening balance

Levoy H
Levoy H SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 2018 in Investing (Windows)
I decided to catch up on reconciling a small IRA account I opened (via rollover) back in 2014.  I had done the first couple of months so tried to pick up from there, but when I got everything checked off in the reconcile window I was $49 off.  I unchecked everything and tried again.  I finally decided that since it was only a couple months and the account isn't that big I'd just clear all the Rs and start over.

The first transaction in the register is "Opening balance" and the amount is $0.00.  Note this is exactly how my other account registers at this broker look, and they are all reconciled.  So I hit the Reconcile button, and when the opening dialogue pops up it shows a -$49.  I didn't think much of it and just changed it to $0.00 to match the opening balance.  I entered the closing balance, hit OK and checked off the transactions in the next window to finish - but I'm off by $49.  

I validated the file - no change.  I ran an account balance report for the day after the opening balance and it is $0.00, but the reconcile window still shows an opening balance of -$49.  When I check everything off in the reconcile window, my Cleared Balance is $49 too high. When I try to finish Quicken wants to enter an adjustment, which would throw everything off by $49.  

QWin 17 H&B

Comments

• mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Have you sold anything in that account?

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Levoy H
    Levoy H SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2017
    mshiggins said:

Have you sold anything in that account?

It's a managed account, and, yes, there have been buys and sells.  However, northing was sold until over a year after the account was opened.  
  • mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    If you reconcile a date range the includes only the opening balance transaction, do you get $0 or $49? Do you have a placeholder?

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Levoy H
    Levoy H SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2017
    mshiggins said:

If you reconcile a date range the includes only the opening balance transaction, do you get $0 or $49? Do you have a placeholder?

Tried that and the placeholders as well.  When I start the reconcile the opening balance aways shows -$49.  If I change it to zero the reconcile window will show me off by $49.  Same thing if I don't change it.  Regardless, Quicken wants to enter an adjustment which then throws the balance off.
This discussion has been closed.