In portfolio view lot detail open ("+" clicked), the open lot list closes once a price is entered. D

Unknown
Unknown Member
edited October 2018 in Investing (Windows)
In portfolio view, with lot detail open ("+" clicked), the open lot list closes once a price is entered. Does this still happen with Quicken 2017?

Comments

• mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    I've never heard of this issue before. What Quicken year version are you currently using?

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited February 2017
    Premier 2016 windows r10
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    How are you entering that price?  Directly into the Portfolio?  Or by clicking on the Security Name, clicking Update and clicking "Edit Price History"?

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited February 2017
    just entering price directly into portfolio.
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    It happens with QW2014.  I am not aware of anyone commenting on this before, so I do not see why it would have changed for QW2017 (not that seeing comments correlates to changes anyway).  While I can see it as a nuisance, is there any particular reason this is a big deal for you?  
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2018
    The behavior is the same in Quicken 2017.
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    You can't input prices into the Lots via the Portfolio page, only into the main holding itself.
    So I don't see why this is even an issue.
    Please explain.

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2018
    I have the list of lots purchased open, then enter current price in row with security name. Once entered, the lot list automatically closes.  A hassle as I need to see profit/loss on individual lots.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2018
    I'll upgrade to 2017 to fix this unless the same thing happens in the newer version.
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Bill said:

I have the list of lots purchased open, then enter current price in row with security name. Once entered, the lot list automatically closes.  A hassle as I need to see profit/loss on individual lots.

But you've never explained WHY this is an issue ... because it seems senseless to us.

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2018
    I buy/sell many lots. Which lots I use makes a difference for tax planning and wash sale rules.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited February 2017
    Bill said:

I'll upgrade to 2017 to fix this unless the same thing happens in the newer version.

See my post above.
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Bill said:

I buy/sell many lots. Which lots I use makes a difference for tax planning and wash sale rules.

But that same info, with the Cap Gain/Loss info, is available when you use the Sell transaction ... and isn't needed UNTIL you're actually recording a sale.

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Bill said:

You only have 2 more years to 'hold your breath until you turn blue".  Because Q2016 will cease to download on 4/30/19 ... and I seriously doubt that this will be addressed by then, if ever.

• mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    There is actually a tool to make estimated sales using different selling prices and/or different lots - it's called the Capital Gains Estimator. Have you tried it?

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Bill said:

Which lots I use makes a difference for tax planning and wash sale rules.
    But why are you waiting until you have opened the lot list (+) before updating the current prices?  You have the option (assuming valid ticker securities) to update to current (20 min delay) prices, and then open the lot list for each.

Further, the Expand All button toward the bottom of the page will one-click all the holdings to list the specific lots.  (That may or may not be desirable.)

Sorry, but you haven't sold the "hassle" factor to me at this stage.  I see what you mean, I understand what you are doing, but I don't see others perturbed by it so I don't see Quicken, Inc. making a change.  It is clearly not changed in QW2017, so don't upgrade with that in mind.  

You can certainly post an "Idea" here to have them change that behavior.  Perhaps if it is simple to change, it will happen.  
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited May 2018
    I trade a fair amount in any given day, and 20 min delay quotes are worthless to me. Decisions regarding how many shares to sell, if any, and which lots to use need to be made in real-time, not after the trade.

What's particularly annoying is that I've used Quicken for nearly 20 years, and this is the first version I've had this issue with the portfolio view.
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Bill said:

I trade a fair amount in any given day, and 20 min delay quotes are worthless to me. Decisions regarding how many shares to sell, if any, and which lots to use need to be made in real-time, not after the trade.

What's particularly annoying is that I've used Quicken for nearly 20 years, and this is the first version I've had this issue with the portfolio view.

"I trade a fair amount in any given day, ... "

With that clarification, I can better understand your hassle factor, but it also takes you out of the target Quicken demographics. Quicken is not targeted (in my opinion and as far as I know) toward active traders. Such users seem to get quickly disillusioned by reduced performance as the transaction and security counts builds up, lack of wash sale support, etc. Typically brokerages seem to offer better support to active traders -so I am told.
This discussion has been closed.