quicken Hangs again

Unknown
Unknown Member
edited June 2018 in Investing (Windows)
I recently changed the password for one of my accounts.  When I ran Quicken's update, Quicken asked me to enter the new password.  The update from that bank failed.  I terminated quicken and restarted it after opening up a browser and directly logging into that bank (successfully).  I did a copy on that password as I logged in.

I open Quicken again and try to do an update on that bank.  Quicken requests the password.  I paste the password that just worked (no typing mistake).  I click on login, and quicken hangs. Five minutes of nothing.  There is no way to abort quicken, I have to use task manager to kill it.  Try the same thing again, same result.

So not only is the mechanims for accessing account info broken, the design of the osftware is broken in it is hanging (I assume because the bank computer has locked quicken out).

I am running Quicken Delixe for Windows 2015.  I would buy a newer version but I have absolutle NO confidence the newer version has resolved this (or the other numerous bugs I have encountered).  From the reports I have heard, I am confident the newer version will containing additional bugs I will have to work around.

Comments

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2017

First make sure that Quicken 2015 did not somehow get corrupted by running the Quicken 2015 Mondo Patch.

Then validate your data file:

First, make a copy of your data file. Use Quicken (File >
    File Operations > Copy...), to make a copy of your data file. Quicken will do
    some file cleanup whereas the Windows copy will make a bit-by-bit copy.

Then validate the copy of the data file you just made: File
    > File Operations > Validate and Repair... Make sure you check the Validate file checkbox. 

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited February 2017

First make sure that Quicken 2015 did not somehow get corrupted by running the Quicken 2015 Mondo Patch.

> File Operations > Validate and Repair... Make sure you check the Validate file checkbox. 

Thanks for trying to help but I was not asking a question.  My file is not corrupted.  I was pointing out two bugs in how Quicken operates, one a serious design that is absolutely unacceptable in a professional piece of software.
  • mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2017

So your goal in posting here was simply to report the issue and you have no desire to get help with a fix?

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited February 2017

I would love a fix but I was not asking for one because I am almost totally certian a fix requires correcting faulty code.  There is not an error in the data file.  Most likely the code is either in an infinite loop or the software is waiting for a network response and the coders failed to put in a timer so the software does not wait forever if a response is not forthcoming.  I assume those responsible for quicken are aware there is widespread dis-satisfaction with how badly the product is riddled with bugs.  I and many others would love those responsible to undertaken the massive effort needed to fix Quicken (not put in new features but just make it work).  I would love that fix.  Anything that can be done to make it so would be very mch appreciated.

As to why the (new) password is not working, my hope is that is a transient problem that will just time-out in the not too distant future.
  • mshiggins
    edited February 2017

I'll take that as a yes that you:

1) posted only to report an issue

2) you don't want to work on a fix

• mshiggins
    edited February 2017

Moderator: please mark this problem as solved and close the discussion. Thanks!