Capital One download update asking for one time code

Comments

• edited February 2017
    Same thing here.  You can get it working by deactivating and reactivating, but the next day it wants to do the process all over again.
  • edited February 2017
    I continue to have the same problem as everyone else.  This is frustrating.  Is there a way that we can up the priority for Quicken or Cap One to resolve this?
  • BradBrad Member
    edited February 2017
    Every one of us with Cap One should have seen few correspondence from them since few months ago that they were updating their systems in January.  Which is exactly what has caused this issue.  This has nothing to do with version of Quicken or OS etc.  So yes, few folks who pointed out here that Cap One and Quicken need to cooperate and get their systems in sync again are correct.  So Cap One needs to explain to Quicken folks what they have changed and then work it out as to which one of them, or both, need to make further changes in their systems to sync things up and get things working smoothly again.  I'll keep my fingers crossed but won't hold my breath!
  • BradBrad Member
    edited September 2017
    For those of you who are not receiving the code, updating the "Financial Institution Branding and Profile" may help.  How? go to Tools > Online Center > hold Ctrl+Shift and click on Contact Info at the top > select the "Financial Institution Branding and Profile" > Select your Cap One Account > Refresh > Update & Send.  Quit Quicken and launch again.  This approach worked for me where I now receive the code every time.  Your mileage may vary.  Good luck.
  • BradBrad Member
    edited March 2017
    THIS THREAD SHOULD NOT ME MARKED AS SOLVED.  THIS IS AN OPEN UNSOLVED PROBLEM THAT REQUIRES INITIATIVE FROM THE GOOD FOLKS AT QUICKEN TO CONTACT CAP ONE AND SEE HOW IT CAN BE RESOLVED.
  • Nina BrennerNina Brenner Member
    edited February 2017
    Using Quicken Premier 2015 here.   Same thing; it asks for a code, never sends it, then rejects my valid password.  Glad I found this thread; my strategy is going to be do nothing!  Stop using Capital One until this gets sorted out.  
  • stanstan Member
    edited March 2017
    Still happening but when going to the Cap One account and using update from the drop down box in the upper right corner it does work even when it asks for a code.
  • Jim CozzolinoJim Cozzolino Member
    edited March 2017
    Same problem, Quicken continually says Capital one wants a one time code, what a PIA.
    Quicken has become such garbage to use. Way to many problems with this program that they charge to use.
  • TxteaTxtea Member
    edited March 2017
    I had to ask my bank to reset my passwordc, bc after so many times of trying, I got locked out.  Than I was told to do this..

Back up your information, or make sure you have a good back up that you can go back to if you need to..

Basically, bc of added security to all online bank accounts, MY BANK told me that I had to confirm all my private bank information, that it is accurate and updated WITHIN my Quicken program.

Go to Tools, then go to Account List or for Short cuts.  Press Ctrl A.  .  

In Account List Menu you will see 6 columns,These are the 6 columns; Account Name, Blank Column (that will read EDIT), Transaction Download, Online Bill Pay, Financial Institution, and Last Reconcile . 

Look under Edit for the account you are questioning.  Press Edit.

Now you are under Account Details. This menu has 3 mini tabs;  Concentrate on the General Tab. Click on General Tab and read on:

Every information that you have entered has to be accurate, in other words the bank name can not have typos nor abbreviations..  For me, my bank name made a slight change in its name.  So I had to add the new bank name under Edit, under each bank account, which is under Account List (CTRL A).  I also confirmed the bank accounts numbers and learned one of my accounts numbers was incorrect., Confirm you routing number, your acct number, customer id and any other important boxes that requires your info. 

Then I was told to go to the next tab "Online Services

from there I was told to de activate my account, yes, I had to put in Intuit password too,

I was told to de activate each of my bank accounts with my bank.  THEN re activate them.

They told me, that bc of extra security measures that all of mmy typed information has to be accurate in bank name and in bank account NUMBERS (routing too). 

I will give an example without giving my info out.  Let's say in Acct List under General, I had my bank called Chase, but the name got switched to JP Morgan Chase.  Well I had to change the word Chase to the full name, JP Morgan Chase.  .And in the "re activating" each account, I had to find my JP Morgan Chase Bank among the list of banks  Click on your individual bank name that Quicken associates with.  

After I did all of this, I pressed next and it updated all my accounts to the point of going back 4500 days, BUT only 2 transactions had to added.  Two new transactions that I sent for payment last week.  I did have about 22 transactions to match up or reconcile my bank account, but those 22 transactions needed to be cleared with my register.  

Now if you already tried before and the software tells you that "have to match or clear with the remaining transactions" and for me I refused to, bc when I saw those transactions from today's work I noticed I already had those transactions not only listed, but cleared and deducted from my account.   I did not want to double withdrawal entry items.  So the Bank employee told me to manually delete all the transactions in each account so I could go on to the next step of de activating and re activating each of my account.  So after I deleted all the duplicate transactions and had all those transactions to match up deleted, I then went to ..

I hope that helps. 
  • Mike411Mike411 Member
    edited February 2017
    What seems to be working semi-consistently for me is going to the
    account in the registry and from the settings gear drop down choose
    update now, you will get the prompt to choose a method to receive the
    code choose one. After doing so the data downloaded fine with no
    duplicates.
  • edited February 2017
    RobM said:

I had the same thing happen. I edited the account, disabled online transfers, restarted Quicken, then set it up to connect again with username and password. It sent me an e-mail with a code, I entered the code and it connected the accounts. One thing I noticed was that it downloaded some older transactions that showed as "New" at the bottom of the page. I clicked "Match manually" and deleted those. Others that showed as "match," i just clicked "accept" (they were already there from a previous download" and it did not add them again. Everything seems to be working fine now.

Running Quicken Deluxe 2015. Same problem. RobM's steps worked for me. I was able to download transactions after deactivating & reactivating my account. I did receive a code from Cap One via email. I got transactions going back to December, matched manually, and deleted.  I have gotten another request for verification code today & received code via email. Guess will have to wait until the powers that be get it figured out. :P
  • BradBrad Member
    edited February 2017
    Txtea said:

I had to ask my bank to reset my passwordc, bc after so many times of trying, I got locked out.  Than I was told to do this..

Back up your information, or make sure you have a good back up that you can go back to if you need to..

Basically, bc of added security to all online bank accounts, MY BANK told me that I had to confirm all my private bank information, that it is accurate and updated WITHIN my Quicken program.

In Account List Menu you will see 6 columns,These are the 6 columns; Account Name, Blank Column (that will read EDIT), Transaction Download, Online Bill Pay, Financial Institution, and Last Reconcile . 

Now you are under Account Details. This menu has 3 mini tabs;  Concentrate on the General Tab. Click on General Tab and read on:

Every information that you have entered has to be accurate, in other words the bank name can not have typos nor abbreviations..  For me, my bank name made a slight change in its name.  So I had to add the new bank name under Edit, under each bank account, which is under Account List (CTRL A).  I also confirmed the bank accounts numbers and learned one of my accounts numbers was incorrect., Confirm you routing number, your acct number, customer id and any other important boxes that requires your info. 

from there I was told to de activate my account, yes, I had to put in Intuit password too,

I was told to de activate each of my bank accounts with my bank.  THEN re activate them.

They told me, that bc of extra security measures that all of mmy typed information has to be accurate in bank name and in bank account NUMBERS (routing too). 

I will give an example without giving my info out.  Let's say in Acct List under General, I had my bank called Chase, but the name got switched to JP Morgan Chase.  Well I had to change the word Chase to the full name, JP Morgan Chase.  .And in the "re activating" each account, I had to find my JP Morgan Chase Bank among the list of banks  Click on your individual bank name that Quicken associates with.  

After I did all of this, I pressed next and it updated all my accounts to the point of going back 4500 days, BUT only 2 transactions had to added.  Two new transactions that I sent for payment last week.  I did have about 22 transactions to match up or reconcile my bank account, but those 22 transactions needed to be cleared with my register.  

Now if you already tried before and the software tells you that "have to match or clear with the remaining transactions" and for me I refused to, bc when I saw those transactions from today's work I noticed I already had those transactions not only listed, but cleared and deducted from my account.   I did not want to double withdrawal entry items.  So the Bank employee told me to manually delete all the transactions in each account so I could go on to the next step of de activating and re activating each of my account.  So after I deleted all the duplicate transactions and had all those transactions to match up deleted, I then went to ..

I hope that helps. 

Seems like they sent you chasing a wild goose.  Typical when they don't know the right solution.  From reading everyone's comments including all your detailed steps, it is clear that Capital One changed the security in their servers.  As a result, they and Quicken folks need to work with each other for Quicken to update the security of their servers accordingly and all this will be solved.  This is not a rocket science, rather someone at one of these two companies needs to take the initiative to contact the other and work it out.  We need to open a new post/thread here for it to be "unsolved" to get more attention.  My experience has been doing exactly the same thing the person below this post (Mike411) has posted.  I actually took CapOne out of the OSU in order to do the update manually.
  • edited February 2017
    Txtea said:

I hope that helps. 

I have little doubt that the technical staff at Capital One and Quicken are aware of the problem, working on a fix and know approximately when it will be ready. I also have no doubt that Quicken will never communicate this to customers and most of their front line CSRs will waste ridiculous amounts of customer time trying scripted things that won't fix the problem. We, by continuing to give Quicken money, accept the fact that they're horrible from a support perspective and it will never change.
  • utahutah Member
    edited October 2018
    Both Capital One and Quicken are aware of this problem.  C1 offers a solution (did not work for me).  Quicken in a 5-day old post says it is being worked on.  Here is some info:

A search on C1 website for Quicken gives the following:

"Existing Quicken® Users

We recently made an important
    update to our servicing site, so if you’re an existing Quicken® user, you’ll
    need to modify your settings to ensure the smooth transition of your
    financial data.

Next time you sign in to your
    account follow these instructions:

Choose Accounts, and then select Download Transactions—you’ll
    see an alert for Quicken® & Quickbooks®.

Click the Quicken® Reactivation link.

On the next page, choose your software version and follow the
    steps listed to prevent duplication of transaction data.

New Customers or Quicken®
    Users

If you’re a new Capital One
    customer or if you’re setting up Quicken® or Quickbooks® for the first time,
    please follow the software's instructions to add a new account."

I tried this but got no alert for Quicken Reactivation.  I was taken to the usual download transactions page to download a date range with a QFX file.

Also, on the Quicken Community Online Banking page there is notice (gray box in upper right) advising of problems with Capital One:

"Capital One is in the process of updating their web services, which may cause an error when adding accounts to Quicken from these specific banks:

• Capital One Banking
    • Capital One Auto Loan
    • Capital One FinancialAdvisors
    • Capital One Personal Loans
    • Capital One Bank - TreasuryOptimizer
    • CapitalOne - TrustWeb 

• We're working to fix this issue as quickly as possible; if you receive an error when adding an account, please try again in 24-48 hours.  To be notified when this issue is resolved, please 'follow' this thread."

This Quicken notice was posted 5 days ago -- so no solution yet.

• utahutah Member
    edited February 2017
    Brad said:

THIS THREAD SHOULD NOT ME MARKED AS SOLVED.  THIS IS AN OPEN UNSOLVED PROBLEM THAT REQUIRES INITIATIVE FROM THE GOOD FOLKS AT QUICKEN TO CONTACT CAP ONE AND SEE HOW IT CAN BE RESOLVED.

Agree - issue is not solved.  In case it might help, see my post re C1 instructions to reactivate Quicken and the official Quicken post (5-days old) that states the problem is being worked on.
  • Kevlar_HeartKevlar_Heart Member
    edited February 2017
    stan said:

Still happening but when going to the Cap One account and using update from the drop down box in the upper right corner it does work even when it asks for a code.

That's been my work around too. I unticked Capital One Card Services in One Step Update and perform the Cap One from the account register. Oddly enough my Capital One Checking is unaffected -- it's an entirely different service within Capital One
    edited February 2017
    Txtea said:

I hope that helps. 

Yup, support had me running in circles and did nothing but make things worse. I ended up saying thanks and goodbye and went back to a back up file.
    Wasted over an hour getting nowhere with support.

• Sue KingSue King Member
    edited February 2017

Yep, me too.  Then it hangs and I have to kill QW 2017 with the task manager.  Thinking about rolling back to QW 2016, as QW 2017 has been nothing but slow performance and other problems.

QW 2016 has the same problem
    edited March 2017
    Its happening on the Capital One credit card accounts too.
    edited May 2017

This is a paste from a similar thread:

QWin 2017 R4 (Build 26.4.5)/Windows 10 Pro (Version 1607 Build 14393.693)

Greetings all> I have tried using all of the methods in this thread. Cap One never sent me a code to any of the means listed (Text/E-mail/Voice). Cap One within Quicken does not accept my correct password....despite logging on to the Cap One site with that password.

I contacted Capital One Online Banking support. Capital One  "is aware" of this issue. No resolution until Quicken and Capital One agree on how Quicken logs into the Cap One system. When we enter the password it is Quicken that is logging in...not the specific customer. Quicken and Cap One need to get their handshaking in sync,

As far as manually downloading transactions is concerned, here's a fun fact: D/Ling the past 30 days of transactions generated numerous duplicates as the transaction ID is different in these new QFX files than the Transaction IDs when Quicken and Capital One played well together.

So far both Cap One and Quicken have no solution until they workout security for third party log on

I don't know if you followed the other answers, but what works for me with my Cap One Card Services is to update inside the register -- not in One Step Update. I still get the pop up, but when I select one of my mail addresses associated with Cap One, the transactions download. It's a pain, but it has helped me avoid  deactivate/re-activate scenario, which results in MANY duplicate transactions. Give it a try and reply at the bottom if it works. :-)
    edited February 2017
    utah said:

Both Capital One and Quicken are aware of this problem.  C1 offers a solution (did not work for me).  Quicken in a 5-day old post says it is being worked on.  Here is some info:

"Existing Quicken® Users

financial data.

Users

I tried this but got no alert for Quicken Reactivation.  I was taken to the usual download transactions page to download a date range with a QFX file.

Also, on the Quicken Community Online Banking page there is notice (gray box in upper right) advising of problems with Capital One:

"Capital One is in the process of updating their web services, which may cause an error when adding accounts to Quicken from these specific banks:

• Capital One Banking
    • Capital One Auto Loan
    • CapitalOne - TrustWeb 

• We're working to fix this issue as quickly as possible; if you receive an error when adding an account, please try again in 24-48 hours.  To be notified when this issue is resolved, please 'follow' this thread."

No joy in finding  "Quicken® Reactivation link" when I accessed Accounts --> Download Transactions.in my Cap One Card Services account
    edited February 2017

This is a paste from a similar thread:

QWin 2017 R4 (Build 26.4.5)/Windows 10 Pro (Version 1607 Build 14393.693)

Greetings all> I have tried using all of the methods in this thread. Cap One never sent me a code to any of the means listed (Text/E-mail/Voice). Cap One within Quicken does not accept my correct password....despite logging on to the Cap One site with that password.

I contacted Capital One Online Banking support. Capital One  "is aware" of this issue. No resolution until Quicken and Capital One agree on how Quicken logs into the Cap One system. When we enter the password it is Quicken that is logging in...not the specific customer. Quicken and Cap One need to get their handshaking in sync,

As far as manually downloading transactions is concerned, here's a fun fact: D/Ling the past 30 days of transactions generated numerous duplicates as the transaction ID is different in these new QFX files than the Transaction IDs when Quicken and Capital One played well together.

So far both Cap One and Quicken have no solution until they workout security for third party log on

Tried it both ways, still have the same issues.
  • edited March 2017
    Ditto on all of the above for Capital One Credit cards - ALL Week!!!! Really? now what did your programmers do? I have several Cap1 accounts - I sometimes can update from the one account through the update within the Quicken account - I'll be not doing anything more or changing passwords - it's on your Quicken servers that are causing this inconvenience! Not happy
    edited February 2017

Ditto on all of the above for Capital One Credit cards - ALL Week!!!! Really? now what did your programmers do? I have several Cap1 accounts - I sometimes can update from the one account through the update within the Quicken account - I'll be not doing anything more or changing passwords - it's on your Quicken servers that are causing this inconvenience! Not happy

Quicken has gotten to be not worth the hassle using it. Time to start looking for a different program to use.
  • edited February 2017

I agree. When MoneyWiz finally releases investment account support (supposedly in a month or so) I'm going to run both for a few months with the hope of never using Quicken again. It's just stunning how bad they are at communicating to customers.
    edited February 2017

Yup, I've grown more than tired of Quickens BS myself.
  • joanzen .joanzen . Member
    edited January 22
    Just an update on my situation.  It's been a couple of days since I tried the deactivate/reactivate.  My Cap One account has been updating as normal.  I've gotten the request for a code a couple of times and it actually worked fine both times.  I'm curious, going forward, what the expectation should be with respect to the frequency of the two-factor authentication. To be sure, Cap One and/or Quicken truly screwed up the implementation of this functionality, but mine seems to be working (for now...). 
  • Rocket J SquirrelRocket J Squirrel SuperUser
    edited February 2017
    utah said:

"Existing Quicken® Users

financial data.

Users

• Capital One Banking
    • Capital One Auto Loan
    • CapitalOne - TrustWeb 

Nope, it's not there.

Cap One has kind of always been on the edge of Quicken compatibility because they won't support Direct Connect, leaving us with unreliable Express Web Connect. I have several credit cards, and I'm just going to stop using Cap One. I cashed in my reward dollars, & into my junk drawer this card goes.
    Quicken user since version 2 for DOS.
    Now using QWin Premier subscription version on Win7 Pro.
  • Bob HoneymanBob Honeyman Member
    edited February 2017
    RobM said:

I had the same thing happen. I edited the account, disabled online transfers, restarted Quicken, then set it up to connect again with username and password. It sent me an e-mail with a code, I entered the code and it connected the accounts. One thing I noticed was that it downloaded some older transactions that showed as "New" at the bottom of the page. I clicked "Match manually" and deleted those. Others that showed as "match," i just clicked "accept" (they were already there from a previous download" and it did not add them again. Everything seems to be working fine now.

Q H&B 2016. Unfortunately, I have more than 100 duplicate xtions to delete. Any way to do that en masse?

Update: I found the solution. Reconcile existing transactions. Accept all pending. Sort by "cleared" column. Delete all lines with "c."
  • BradBrad Member
    edited February 2017
    utah said:

"Existing Quicken® Users

financial data.

Users

• Capital One Banking
    • Capital One Auto Loan
    • CapitalOne - TrustWeb 

I have been using Quicken w/ CapOne Visa and MC since approx 2008 (looking at my Quicken history) including VERY HEAVY overseas travel and usage with absolutely no issues.  Before the chip days, it was the only card that worked in every country without a hitch and still works perfect now with the chip.  The automated transaction downloads to Quicken has been solid and accurate (zero issues) and I am equally happy with the CC and their customer service - remains my favorite CC because of their superb international transaction handling, no currency fees and competitive currency conversion rates, very good alerts and again smooth Quicken sync.  Goes to show everyone has a different experience.  I am sure this hiccup will get fixed and till then I can live with the extra steps of entering a security code.