IDEA for needed development in Quicken 2016/2017 for Mac

To the Developers:  Y'all really need to focus on investment transactions.  Specifically, corporate transactions (mergers, etc.).  You don't do them at all.  Also reporting capital gains:  you can see it on the screen in the Tax Schedule, but you can't export to CSV, which makes the software basically worthless for tax reporting.

I regard the first as a missing feature, but one that would be needed by any investor.  The second is not a missing feature but a bug:  since the information appears on the screen, the calculations have been done, so it is a bug that the export does not include everything that's on the screen.

Follow-up:  You CAN export capital gains to TXF, and there are TXF-to-CSV converters out there on the web, so (with multiple steps) one can get what one needs, but . . .  how horrible!! If it exports to the TXF file, then it's REALLY just a bug that it doesn't export to CSV, and that should be fixed right away.
0 votes

No Status · Last Updated

Comments

• ConcordmanConcordman Member
    edited November 2017
    Have you been using Quicken for Windows & now trying Quicken for MAC?
  • edited February 2017

Yep.  "Trying" is the right word.  I finally gave up on Quicken/Windows under XP under VMWare.  The product was fine, but running a big database under an emulator sucks.  Now I've got Quicken 2016 for Mac, which runs fine but is a half-finished product written for people who have maybe 3 stocks in their investment accounts (not to mention being horrible with linked checking accounts).  My life is a series of workarounds.
  • ConcordmanConcordman Member
    edited November 2017
    Totally understand where you're coming from as it relates to investments with Quicken for Mac. The program clearly lacks anything near what is required To handle investments.. in addition to not really wanting to handle many stocks the inability to deal with individual lots is a major issue. Investment reporting is also very weak.

Quicken for Mac is very much a work in process before transitioning over from Quicken windows I made sure to spend a few weeks here learning the strengths and weaknesses of the program. In my honest opinion Quicken for Mac is 2+ years away from parity with quicken windows. If you're dealing with lots of stocks, options, Life is going to be difficult.

As a relates to tax reporting you may want to import your investment income directly from your financial institution into TurboTax.
  • edited February 2017

I run QW17 on a Windows machine and access it on my MacBook Pro through Microsoft Remote Desktop. It's a life-saver.