Capital One download update asking for one time code

Comments

• William ConeyWilliam Coney Member
    edited February 2017
    utah said:

Both Capital One and Quicken are aware of this problem.  C1 offers a solution (did not work for me).  Quicken in a 5-day old post says it is being worked on.  Here is some info:

A search on C1 website for Quicken gives the following:

"Existing Quicken® Users

We recently made an important
    update to our servicing site, so if you’re an existing Quicken® user, you’ll
    need to modify your settings to ensure the smooth transition of your
    financial data.

Next time you sign in to your
    account follow these instructions:

Choose Accounts, and then select Download Transactions—you’ll
    see an alert for Quicken® & Quickbooks®.

Click the Quicken® Reactivation link.

On the next page, choose your software version and follow the
    steps listed to prevent duplication of transaction data.

New Customers or Quicken®
    Users

If you’re a new Capital One
    customer or if you’re setting up Quicken® or Quickbooks® for the first time,
    please follow the software's instructions to add a new account."

I tried this but got no alert for Quicken Reactivation.  I was taken to the usual download transactions page to download a date range with a QFX file.

Also, on the Quicken Community Online Banking page there is notice (gray box in upper right) advising of problems with Capital One:

"Capital One is in the process of updating their web services, which may cause an error when adding accounts to Quicken from these specific banks:

• Capital One Banking
    • Capital One Auto Loan
    • Capital One FinancialAdvisors
    • Capital One Personal Loans
    • Capital One Bank - TreasuryOptimizer
    • CapitalOne - TrustWeb 

• We're working to fix this issue as quickly as possible; if you receive an error when adding an account, please try again in 24-48 hours.  To be notified when this issue is resolved, please 'follow' this thread."

This Quicken notice was posted 5 days ago -- so no solution yet.

In my case, no code is sent, so....
  • Jim CozzolinoJim Cozzolino Member
    edited February 2017
    utah said:

Both Capital One and Quicken are aware of this problem.  C1 offers a solution (did not work for me).  Quicken in a 5-day old post says it is being worked on.  Here is some info:

"Existing Quicken® Users

financial data.

Users

I tried this but got no alert for Quicken Reactivation.  I was taken to the usual download transactions page to download a date range with a QFX file.

Also, on the Quicken Community Online Banking page there is notice (gray box in upper right) advising of problems with Capital One:

"Capital One is in the process of updating their web services, which may cause an error when adding accounts to Quicken from these specific banks:

• Capital One Banking
    • Capital One Auto Loan
    • CapitalOne - TrustWeb 

• We're working to fix this issue as quickly as possible; if you receive an error when adding an account, please try again in 24-48 hours.  To be notified when this issue is resolved, please 'follow' this thread."

You must work for Quicken then.
  • edited February 2017
    joanzen . said:

Just an update on my situation.  It's been a couple of days since I tried the deactivate/reactivate.  My Cap One account has been updating as normal.  I've gotten the request for a code a couple of times and it actually worked fine both times.  I'm curious, going forward, what the expectation should be with respect to the frequency of the two-factor authentication. To be sure, Cap One and/or Quicken truly screwed up the implementation of this functionality, but mine seems to be working (for now...). 

Wish I could agree - but it still does not work for me - still never received a code. Out of the 3 Cap1 credit accounts I have - the 2 with the common email address still will not update - the one with another email address will only update if I update within the account in Quicken. Now to go find a page for why some accounts will not display an end tab when finished downloading within the account. Geez, never had so many problems and I've been a customer since 1998. Now that HIG Capital owns it - it's a mess.
  • edited February 2017
    joanzen . said:

Just an update on my situation.  It's been a couple of days since I tried the deactivate/reactivate.  My Cap One account has been updating as normal.  I've gotten the request for a code a couple of times and it actually worked fine both times.  I'm curious, going forward, what the expectation should be with respect to the frequency of the two-factor authentication. To be sure, Cap One and/or Quicken truly screwed up the implementation of this functionality, but mine seems to be working (for now...). 

OH! New error code today! CC-891 lovely.
  • sandheepsandheep Member
    edited February 2017
    joanzen . said:

using Quicken Deluxe 2014 R10, having the same issue.  Seems like if i keep on trying, it eventually updates.  But something odd is happening here for sure.
  • leishirsuteleishirsute Member
    edited February 2017
    joanzen . said:

I got the request for a code again this morning.  I just canceled the request and Capital One download processing continued without problems. At least that's what Quicken reported.  So, maybe as a temporary workaround, canceling the code request might work.  I didn't have transactions to download, so I can't really tell if canceling the request continues without further problems. 

I immediately did a download update of the Capital One Credit Card again and got no error or request for code. Strange behavior.
    Quicken Windows 2017 Deluxe R19.1 on Windows 7 & 10 Pro
  • PaulPaul Member
    edited February 2017
    Brad said:

For those of you who are not receiving the code, updating the "Financial Institution Branding and Profile" may help.  How? go to Tools > Online Center > hold Ctrl+Shift and click on Contact Info at the top > select the "Financial Institution Branding and Profile" > Select your Cap One Account > Refresh > Update & Send.  Quit Quicken and launch again.  This approach worked for me where I now receive the code every time.  Your mileage may vary.  Good luck.

Brad...Thanks! This totally took care of the problem.
  • Rick DaviesRick Davies Member
    edited February 2017
    joanzen . said:

I have been experiencing the same issue, however this morning it updated fine from One step update and did not prompt for code - there is hope in the Quicken Universe.
  • Kevlar_HeartKevlar_Heart Member
    edited February 2017
    Brad said:

For those of you who are not receiving the code, updating the "Financial Institution Branding and Profile" may help.  How? go to Tools > Online Center > hold Ctrl+Shift and click on Contact Info at the top > select the "Financial Institution Branding and Profile" > Select your Cap One Account > Refresh > Update & Send.  Quit Quicken and launch again.  This approach worked for me where I now receive the code every time.  Your mileage may vary.  Good luck.

Hi Brad. THanks for this. I still get the request for a second id verification, and no code is ever sent, but my Capital One Card Services updates...that's something anyway :)
    edited February 2017
    utah said:

"Existing Quicken® Users

financial data.

Users

• Capital One Banking
    • Capital One Auto Loan
    • CapitalOne - TrustWeb 

@ Brad -- I agree that Capital One has been my "go to" card for travel and day to day expenses. Until the recent security change Cap One was the ONLY card for which I had not had problems within Quicken. The work around of updating from the register is not all that arduous, since my goal is accurate records, not "never fail" connection. I'll continue to whine so I can fit in though
  • Jim CozzolinoJim Cozzolino Member
    edited February 2017
    Brad said:

Mine always ask for the one time code and never updates
  • edited February 2017
    Brad said:

Thanks Brad - it only helped the account with one email address - my other two Cap1 accounts with the same email address still received an error.
  • JohnJohn Member
    edited February 2017
    Brad said:

Every one of us with Cap One should have seen few correspondence from them since few months ago that they were updating their systems in January.  Which is exactly what has caused this issue.  This has nothing to do with version of Quicken or OS etc.  So yes, few folks who pointed out here that Cap One and Quicken need to cooperate and get their systems in sync again are correct.  So Cap One needs to explain to Quicken folks what they have changed and then work it out as to which one of them, or both, need to make further changes in their systems to sync things up and get things working smoothly again.  I'll keep my fingers crossed but won't hold my breath!

I agree, in making the update, it appears C1 also broke at least a couple of things. I am also experiencing the "update problem" but also noticed that C1 seems to have created a problem with pending transactions. On at least one occasion update downloaded pending transactions, other times pending transactions seem to be included in the balance calculation even when they are  not part of the download.
  • joanzen .joanzen . Member
    edited February 2017
    Brad said:

Every one of us with Cap One should have seen few correspondence from them since few months ago that they were updating their systems in January.  Which is exactly what has caused this issue.  This has nothing to do with version of Quicken or OS etc.  So yes, few folks who pointed out here that Cap One and Quicken need to cooperate and get their systems in sync again are correct.  So Cap One needs to explain to Quicken folks what they have changed and then work it out as to which one of them, or both, need to make further changes in their systems to sync things up and get things working smoothly again.  I'll keep my fingers crossed but won't hold my breath!

@John - I've been seeing a consistent issue with the status of downloaded posted vs online pending transactions for quite some time.  It seems that transactions are identified as posted in some part of Cap One's system, but it takes time for this information to be reflected throughout the system.  For example, if I execute an update during the afternoon (US eastern time), I will frequently get transactions downloaded as posted, but the balance downloaded with those transactions does not include them, as if they are still pending.  I can also log on to my account at that time and still see the downloaded transactions showing as pending.  This results in me being unable to reconcile the account in Quicken until those transactions really are posted and I get an updated balance that includes them.

I contacted Cap One several weeks ago about this and was put in touch with a member of their technical team.  He confirmed that the transactions that were downloaded to me were showing as posted in "his" system.  However, he also confirmed, as I told him, that those same transactions were still showing as pending in my online account.  He said those would be updated to posted overnight.  I told him that it seems to me that if their system is going to send transactions to Quicken then the balance they send should also include those transactions.  He agreed that there is an issue, but had no idea about a resolution.  This has been happening to me consistently for several months.  I realize that this is off-topic for this thread, so sorry for getting off in the weeds, but thought I'd respond to @John.

• Joe BorninoJoe Bornino Member
    edited February 2017
    RobM said:

I had the same thing happen. I edited the account, disabled online transfers, restarted Quicken, then set it up to connect again with username and password. It sent me an e-mail with a code, I entered the code and it connected the accounts. One thing I noticed was that it downloaded some older transactions that showed as "New" at the bottom of the page. I clicked "Match manually" and deleted those. Others that showed as "match," i just clicked "accept" (they were already there from a previous download" and it did not add them again. Everything seems to be working fine now.

same happening on two different Qucken files with different CapOne accounts.  Even though I never get the email with the code, I AM getting transactions downloaded.  Would rather not deactivate/reactivate the account and have to go though all the duplicate transactions.  Will just put up with it for a while and hope they fix it.
  • bob smithbob smith Member
    edited February 2017
    RobM said:

I had the same thing happen. I edited the account, disabled online transfers, restarted Quicken, then set it up to connect again with username and password. It sent me an e-mail with a code, I entered the code and it connected the accounts. One thing I noticed was that it downloaded some older transactions that showed as "New" at the bottom of the page. I clicked "Match manually" and deleted those. Others that showed as "match," i just clicked "accept" (they were already there from a previous download" and it did not add them again. Everything seems to be working fine now.

After the first two days I started getting that too.
  • MaikeerMaikeer Member
    edited February 2017
    joanzen . said:

Sporadically getting this over the past week or so, no code sent. Quicken 2016 Premier. Oddly, just now, after I closed the one step update dialog, I received a code when I used the "update now" button at the upper right of the register.
  • Rocket J SquirrelRocket J Squirrel SuperUser
    edited February 2017
    joanzen . said:

Cap One is partially broken. It is known. It is unlikely to get fixed. I'm dropping them.
    Quicken user since version 2 for DOS.
    Now using QWin Premier subscription version on Win7 Pro.
  • RobMRobM Member
    edited February 2017
    joanzen . said:

Well, I thought my solution worked, but I too have gotten the request for security codes again. I went ahead and entered the codes they sent and my cards updated as they should. Maybe (whoever first said it in this thread) is correct...that it's "learning" from the machine you are on as part of a security measure. I'm not going to deactivate and reactivate my accounts again. Just going to wait patiently and see if they either update Quicken to fix the problem, or if Capital One gets their "handshake" in sync with Quicken. Isn't THAT much of a pain to me to enter the "one time codes" as long as it eventually stops asking.
    edited March 2017
    My Update: I still never receive codes from Cap One, and the only reliable method for updating Capital One Card Services is from withing the card register.

One thing I've noticed about this thread is the remarkable lack of SuperUser or Official Quicken responses. What do they know that we don't? Usually I can count on at least one Superuser to chastise me for something :) 
  • Susan ReinisSusan Reinis Member
    edited February 2017
    Gang - one more voice to the crowd - same as all yours - but two things - now First Republic and Discovercard are saying request rejected and the other is that the quicken chat acts like they never heard of this. Thanks for being there.
  • edited February 2017
    joanzen . said:

At least you got codes - never received any . Still waiting like you.
  • BradBrad Member
    edited February 2017
    Brad said:

THIS THREAD SHOULD NOT ME MARKED AS SOLVED.  THIS IS AN OPEN UNSOLVED PROBLEM THAT REQUIRES INITIATIVE FROM THE GOOD FOLKS AT QUICKEN TO CONTACT CAP ONE AND SEE HOW IT CAN BE RESOLVED.

Looks like they changed the status from SOLVED to IN-PROGRESS as of the time of this post.  Hopefully we are making a difference by speaking up.
  • BradBrad Member
    edited February 2017
    utah said:

"Existing Quicken® Users

financial data.

Users

• Capital One Banking
    • Capital One Auto Loan
    • CapitalOne - TrustWeb 

@William Coney -- Please take a look at the bottom of page one of this thread where I found and described a way to get the code sent to me.  It went from never working for me to working consistently.  But then again seems like that approach worked for some and not for others.  I have the 2016 Quicken Premier on PC and just CapOne credit cards (no banks acc) for what it's worth.  oh, and I cannot take credit for the approach (whether it works for you or not) as I found it on an unrelated post but seems like something good to know.  Also Deactivating and Reactivating did not work for me and created a mess of duplicates, so don't do the deactivation.  Somewhat of a good news is that seems like they changed the status of this thread from solved (which made me furious - look at the very top of this page) to in-progress in the last few hours.  So let's do what @Kevlar_Heart suggested and speak up.
  • BradBrad Member
    edited February 2017
    utah said:

"Existing Quicken® Users

financial data.

Users

• Capital One Banking
    • Capital One Auto Loan
    • CapitalOne - TrustWeb 

@Jim Cozzolino, I am CTO of a large global law firm.  Cheers.
  • Jay DuffJay Duff Member
    edited February 2017
    Brad said:

Brad - Your update branding method got me an update today!  It asked for the code, never sent me one, but then the dialog box went away, and I got the new transactions!

If it works a week from today, I'll say you've solved it (for me anyway)!

Thanks
  • Jay DuffJay Duff Member
    edited February 2017
    Brad said:

Brad - Your update branding method got me an update today!  It asked for the code, never sent me one, but then the dialog box went away, and I got the new transactions!

If it works a week from today, I'll say you've solved it (for me anyway)!

Thanks
  • Ted BTed B Member
    edited February 2017
    RobM said:

"TOOLS"  ONLINE CENTER...UPDATE C1 SEEMS TO WORK FOR NOW
  • JohnJohn Member
    edited February 2017
    Brad said:

THIS THREAD SHOULD NOT ME MARKED AS SOLVED.  THIS IS AN OPEN UNSOLVED PROBLEM THAT REQUIRES INITIATIVE FROM THE GOOD FOLKS AT QUICKEN TO CONTACT CAP ONE AND SEE HOW IT CAN BE RESOLVED.

I agree, the TWO problems have not been solved. As I noted in an earlier post, in addition to the "security problem", the daily balance is out of sync with the downloaded transactions. Some, but not all pending transactions are being included in the download. One has to back out pending transactions to get the account to reconcile. I have found the easiest solution is to simply turn off scheduled/automatic updates for C1 and instead invoke it manually so I am at my PC to respond to the prompt.
  • cfii flycfii fly Member
    edited February 2017
    Brad said:

The issue is definitely NOT solved.  Quicken should get off their career and get this BS fixed.  Someone said "stop using Capital One" as the solution.  Really?  How cute is that?  Obviously someone who doesn't bank with Cap 1!