Growth of $10K graph for multiple accounts

Unknown
Unknown Member
edited November 2018 in Investing (Windows)
Q2017 H&B R4 - Win10

I would like to produce a line graph for Growth of $10K verses time for multiple investment accounts (6). I can produce the graph for any one of them and include indexes for comparison reference. At some time I was able to include separate lines on the same graph for each of 6 individual investment Accounts. I can't seem to find my way back. Looking for some help? Clues? Hints?

Comments

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2018
    As far as I know there has never been an option to display multiple securities/accounts as separate lines.
    You can on the other hand include the Growth of $10K multiple times, and customize each to include just the account(s)/security(s) that you want.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2018
    @QPW. ' include the Growth of $10K multiple times', please expand.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited February 2017
    Hershey said:

@QPW. ' include the Growth of $10K multiple times', please expand.

On the Home tab you can add in multiple copies of the same "item", and the Growth of $10K is one on the "items".
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2018
    P.S. Have used the Deluxe version for so long that I even forget people might be talking about the Performance view that is only available on the Premier version.  I happen to have the Premier version of Quicken 2017, so I see what you were looking at.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited February 2017
    QPW said:

P.S. Have used the Deluxe version for so long that I even forget people might be talking about the Performance view that is only available on the Premier version.  I happen to have the Premier version of Quicken 2017, so I see what you were looking at.

Thanks for trying @QPW. I've been playing with it for about an hour now. I can plot any one account against 10K, but can't seem to figure out how to add a second account as a separate line in the graph. I can get 1.3.and 5 yr avg returns of 6 accounts in a report, but I cant get a 20 year plot of same. Used to be able to do it, Probably still can, if  could figure out how. Wasn't critical, just a plot I like to use to irritate my FA.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited February 2017
    QPW said:

"but can't seem to figure out how to add a second account as a separate line in the graph."  I never said you could, in fact I said as far as I know you never could do this.

What I said is you can add multiple 10K graphs each customized with different accounts/securities.
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2017
    QPW said:

Used to be able to do it, Probably still can,... 
    To my knowledge, there has never been a capability to plot multiple securities or accounts as separate lines on the Growth of $10,000 graph (referenced indices excluded).  Nor do I see nor have I ever seen information in the help files that would suggest this capability.  
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Well here's a trick I just discovered: Choose any security in your Security list (pick one you don't actually own to avoid side effects.) In Security Details, edit its type to Market Index. Then in the Premier Investing Performance view, you can pick that security as one of the displayed indices and it will be displayed along with your selected account(s) and the built in indices.

So you aren't comparing accounts, but this is very handy if you want to choose one fund as your personal benchmark. Note also this will be the share price of the fund, not the total return, so dividends will not be included

BTW you can also do this to add other real indexes to the plot. For example if you add the ticker index:spxt as a market index in your Security List, you can see the S&P 500 Total Return index, which is the S&P 500 with dividends reinvested. 
    QWin Premier subscription
  • Jim_Harman
    edited February 2017

Well here's a trick I just discovered: Choose any security in your Security list (pick one you don't actually own to avoid side effects.) In Security Details, edit its type to Market Index. Then in the Premier Investing Performance view, you can pick that security as one of the displayed indices and it will be displayed along with your selected account(s) and the built in indices.

So you aren't comparing accounts, but this is very handy if you want to choose one fund as your personal benchmark. Note also this will be the share price of the fund, not the total return, so dividends will not be included

BTW you can also do this to add other real indexes to the plot. For example if you add the ticker index:spxt as a market index in your Security List, you can see the S&P 500 Total Return index, which is the S&P 500 with dividends reinvested. 

Note that this is not a documented/supported feature of Quicken, no guarantees, may stop working at any time, etc.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited February 2017

@QPW, @q.lurker, @Jim Herman, Thanks to each of you for looking into my question and responding. Like I said earlier, its not a critical item for me. I am pretty confident that I used to be able to do this, but I am nan old man and maybe having memories of things that never happened. I don't think so, but accept the possibility. Anyway, thanks for trying.
  • Jim_Harman
    edited November 2018
    Happy to help, Hershey. It is interesting to experiment and see how other people are using Quicken.

Another way to get an account level performance comparison is with the Investment Performance report, which lets you set a date range and subtotal by account. It compares the accounts with a bar graph and chart. Unfortunately it only shows the performance over the selected date range, not in steps like the growth of $10K. But if you wanted to compare the annual performance of your accounts to those managed by your advisor, that might do it. 
This discussion has been closed.