How to specify text encoding for imported QIF

I'm trying to import data from Quicken for Mac 2002 into Quicken for Mac 2017.  QM2017 complains that the text encoding of the contents cannot be determined, and says that "You may be able to open the file by specifying a text encoding".  The only option to the dialog is to select "OK", then I get another dialog with "Could not import <my file name>. Quicken 2017 can only import qif files into empty documents".  I started the import process by selecting File -> New, so the document should have been empty.

It looks like the text encoding problem is the real issue.  How do I specify the text encoding of a QIF file to import?

Thanks,

Kevin

Comments

• John_in_NC
    John_in_NC SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited March 2017
    A QIF file is a text file, with the transactional history formatted in a certain way. Can you open this .qif in a modern OS X text editor such as TextEdit?
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited January 2019
    I've opened the QIF file with TextMate.  It looks like a normal text file.  In a Terminal window, "file -I <my QIF file>" produces:
    % file -I 2017-02-24-quicken\ data.qif
    2017-02-24-quicken data.qif: text/plain; charset=unknown-8bit
  • John_in_NC
    edited February 2017

I've opened the QIF file with TextMate.  It looks like a normal text file.  In a Terminal window, "file -I <my QIF file>" produces:

Well, good, you can open it. I am unfamiliar with TextMate. but you should be able to force a text encoding with that program. It might be even as simple as cutting and pasting the text into a new document and saving.

I don't know if this 2002 data came from a MacOS Classic machine or OS X as 2002 ran under both. My guess is the former.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited February 2017

That worked!  I had to experiment a bit, until I found a specified encoding that QM2017 liked, but selecting UTF-8 as the encoding when saving from TextMate worked.  A few of the account balances are wrong, so I'll need to find some bad transactions, but it looks like the majority of the QIF file came over OK.

Thanks!
  • John_in_NC
    edited February 2017

Well, QIF is the Pariah of import formats (it has no standard), so if you have a few incorrect balances, consider yourself lucky.

I am glad this helped you out!
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited February 2017

It is a bit frustrating that SEE Finance can import the original QIF, with no complaints, and no detectable errors, but Quicken cannot import a QIF created by Quicken without signifiant assistance, and even then with numerous errors.  

It does make me wonder if the original frustration with Intuit that kept me from giving them any more money for 15 years was perhaps correct.  I still don't trust them after their first abandonment of the Mac platform.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser, Mac Beta, Canada Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2017

@John, This is all interesting...I thought QM2017 could only handle importing of QIF for the purpose of creating a new data file from sources like iBank/Banktivity, MoneyDance and the like.

Does this mean that QIF import can be used to import data from other versions of Quicken?
    Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken Mac Quicken Windows Quicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Canadian
    user since '92, STILL using QM2007)
  • smayer97
    edited February 2017

@Kevin Horton, glad it worked out for you but if you are creating a new data file in QM2017, why not try to get a copy of QM2005, QM2006 or QM2007 (PPC version) as an intermediary to QM2017, that way you lose far less? I know this may not be so easy to achieve since Quicken no longer makes any of these available...just a thought.

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:

(Canadian
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited February 2017

Hmm.  QM2007 is available on eBay.  I hadn't considered going that route, as I wasn't aware that I would lose too much in the transition.  

Go ahead - depress me - tell me what I have likely lost in the transition from QM2002 to GM2017, using a QIF file as the export/import.
  • smayer97
    edited February 2017

I do not mean to depress you as it could be that you lost very little. For starters, you should get 100% of your transactions with correct reconciliation status and therefore correct balances. Beyond that will depend on what you are tracking in QM2002.  

Take a look at this list for some guidance:
    https://www.quicken.com/support/what-data-gets-carried-over

If you choose the route of QM2007, for your situation, you will need the PPC version (v16.0.x) NOT the LC version (v16.1+), though the LC version can run on Mac OS X 10.6.8 to 10.12 Sierra (so far) whereas the PPC version cannot.

BTW, if you had a distrust of Quicken before, you may want to take a look at this discussion to see the direction Quicken is looking to go in:
    Quicken Inc should reverse its decision to change to a subscription that makes the user's data read-only if they stop paying

The following post summarizes all the issues discussed in that thread:
    https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/quicken-inc-should-reverse-its-decision-to-chang...

So if you have a concern about this, you may want to add your vote at the top of that thread to count your voice in this matter.

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

(Canadian
  • smayer97
    edited September 2017

Also, be aware of changed functionality as QM2017 is quite different from QM2002. 

I suggest that you make sure that Quicken 2017 for Mac will meet your needs, since it is not an upgrade from QM2007/QM2002 but rather from Quicken Essentials (which was re-written from the ground up, starting in 2010), so there are some features that are still not there e.g. loan amortization, 2-line display, QuickMath, or are not as fully developed yet, e.g. Customized Reports, investment lot management, performance reports and stats (therefore some data may not carry over). You can start here:
    http://www.quicken.com/mac/compare

Currently, the main advantages of QM2017 over QM2007 include the ability to sync cash, bank, and credit card accounts using Quicken Mobile for mobile devices (iOS and Android) and the ability to save receipts with transactions via computer or mobile device. There are a few other minor features that QM2007 does not have. Note that QM2017 is being supported until April 30, 2020 whereas it has been announced that security fixes have ceased for QM2007 since QM2017 is released...see http://www.quicken.com/support/update-quicken-mac-2007-support-policies-may-2016 yet online access will continue as long as the FI/Bank supports it and their security updates don't prevent it.

You may want to review the List of Obstacles and Hindrances for Migrating from QM2007 or QWin to Quicken for MacAdd your vote to any features that are missing for you. Your VOTES matter!

Be aware of data that will and will not carry forward: 
    https://www.quicken.com/support/what-data-gets-carried-over
    Then look at the updates since the original release here:
    https://www.quicken.com/support/quicken-2017-mac-release-notes
    Also read some of the Fixes and Improvements that are being released soon here:
    http://www.quicken.com/upcoming-product-fixes-and-improvements
    You will also want to look at a more detailed comparison done by a SuperUser which also identifies nuances not mentioned elsewhere (and read on for comments from other users too on that same discussion thread): 
    https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/can-anyone-who-has-switched-from-2007-to-2015-he...
    Take a look at the following videos to give you a better idea:
    https://www.youtube.com/user/QuickenMac

If you find that QM2017 does not meet your needs, the alternative is to try to obtain and run QM2007 Lion Compatible (LC), which will run on Mac OS X 10.6.8 to 10.12 Sierra (so far) by contacting Quicken support here: http://www.quicken.com/contact-support
    NOTE: If you purchase QM2017, you can get QM2007 for free by contacting support. Just select QM2017 support instead. Some of the cheapest places to purchase it are places like Amazon.

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

(Canadian
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited February 2017

Thank you very much for the background info.  I had pretty quickly realized after opening QM2017 that it was a very different program than QM2002, but I had not yet discovered the many missing features, as I hadn't yet gotten my data fully imported and validated.  I'm slowly coming to the conclusion that I should look more closely at alternatives before committing to QM2017.  I'm experimenting with GnuCash at the moment.  It successfully imported my data, and seems to offer the features I need, but the interface is pretty industrial.
  • smayer97
    edited February 2017

The other consideration is that since you own QM2017 is to get QM2007 LC version for free as it still works on Mac OS up to Sierra so far. Of course in your case you may need one of the other intermediate PPC versions OR you can try transferring your data from QM2017 to QM2007 using the QMTF file format.

Just food for thought.

(Canadian
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited June 2017
    I encountered the same problem attempting to import a .qif into Quicken 2017 for Mac. I resolved it by opening the .qif with TextWrangler, selecting File>Save As and setting encoding to Unicode UTF8 in the save-as dialog. The import worked after that but the results were less than desirable. Account balances are a complete mess.
  • smayer97
    edited January 2019

Just discovered that the link above to the "List of Obstacles and Hindrances for Migrating from QM2007 or QWin..." was broken. It is now fixed.

(Canadian