asset allocation and goal comparison

Unknown
Unknown Member
edited October 2018 in Investing (Windows)
So - I have had quicken 2017 for a month and was interesting is moving my investment to a more balanced allocation.  After setting my goals and importing data from my institutions, it showed my actual (accurately), my goals and the difference - this is on the main allocation tab.  About a week ago, it has my allocation at zero for every category, but 100% for cash - the goal is still correct, but obviously the difference is off.  The odd thing is that when I go to the Investment Asset Allocation report it has my actual allocation accurately in all the proper buckets.  Did I somehow flick some switch I didn't know about?  Your help is appreciated as I would love to see the Actual, Goal and Difference all on that one page.  Thanks - D

Comments

• mistertheplague
    mistertheplague Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2017
    By "Goal" I assume you mean "Target." You can assign an investing goal to a security but that's separate from assigning it an asset class, or having Quicken do it automatically with downloaded information from your brokerage. The Allocations page represents the composition of your portfolio's asset classes, not investing goals.

Anyway, you may have flicked a switch, Quicken may have flicked a switch. Over the years, users have reported a handful of ways in which what's seen on the Allocations page is bunged up from what's in corresponding reports. They range from the simple to the mysterious.

To start with the simple, click the accounts and securities drop-down menus above the pie charts, and select different options and see if that makes a difference. 

Check that the asset classes of your securities didn't get switched somehow. On the Allocations page, click the Tools drop-down menu, select Security List, and scroll through. Each security's Asset Class will be listed in the middle column.

If the asset classes are wrong, you can edit them by double-clicking on the security's name, then in the Security Detail View select Edit Security Details. 
    Quicken Premier Mac and Windows
  • Unknown
    Unknown Alumni
    edited September 2017
    Hi Duane,

I'm sorry for any confusion or inconvenience this has caused. To help us provide you with the most appropriate answer, please let us know which Quicken 2017 product (QWin or QMac), and what release you have installed. Also, let us know whether you using the US version of Quicken or Quicken Canada. 

Thanks,
    Dave
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited February 2017
    sure - its Quicken 2017 premier, build 26.1.4.5 on Windows 10 and the US version.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited February 2017
    Also - for the top post, first off thank you.  I looked and all securities and the asset classes are correct - remember they are all allocated correctly in the report, its just the page where they are listed along with the target where somehow they are defined as cash. - Thanks again, D
  • mistertheplague
    edited February 2017
    To clarify, the total dollar amount in the Allocations>Actual pie chart is correct, but the total allocation in the Actual pie chart is 100% cash. Is that correct?
  • mistertheplague
    edited February 2017
    And did you select different settings from the accounts and securities drop-down menus to see if that had any effect?
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited February 2017
    Yes - the numbers are correct in the report, but it the Investing/Allocation tab, it show zero for each class (0%) and then 100% under cash.  So its like on that page, it does recognize them as anything but cash, where in the report it has the correct amount and correct percentages in each asset class - so I just can easily see where I am with regards to my goal.  Also - I did play around with account settings and didn't find anything to fix this - remember it was working a couple weeks ago.  Also - each security has the correct asset class - which is probably why the report works.  Thanks again - D
  • mistertheplague
    edited February 2017
    Regardless of the allocation percentages, do the dollar amounts in the Investing sidebar and Actual pie chart match, or are they different?

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    This is strange. Are the 2 pulldown menus above the graph set to "All Accounts" and "All Securities"?

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited February 2017
    So you got it - somehow I was only on one account - feel stupid, but I guys that happens - BUT - Thank you very much for getting me to look at the obvious! - D
This discussion has been closed.