Capital One download update asking for one time code

Comments

• Ted BTed B Member
    edited February 2017
    joanzen . said:

Fingers-crossed, but my Quicken/Cap One connection seems to be working fine.  I went into my account and deactivated the online access.  I then shut down Quicken and restarted.  When I went back into the account and activated online access, I got the window asking for how I wanted to receive my one-time code.  I selected text as before and was surprised that I actually received a text this time (I never had before).  Quicken then prompted me to input the code (which it hadn't before).  I input the code and my access was activated.  The bad thing was that they downloaded over 145 old transactions, which I had to delete.  Otherwise, since then my access has been fine and I haven't been prompted for another one-time code and I've been getting downloads like normal. 

When I download transactions they appear in a list below the register
    where I can accept them or edit etc.If they are duplicates they all say
    "match" so I just click "accept all" and they disappear. Setting this up
    in preferences eliminates the deleting headache.
  • Kevlar_HeartKevlar_Heart Member
    edited February 2017
    joanzen . said:

Fingers-crossed, but my Quicken/Cap One connection seems to be working fine.  I went into my account and deactivated the online access.  I then shut down Quicken and restarted.  When I went back into the account and activated online access, I got the window asking for how I wanted to receive my one-time code.  I selected text as before and was surprised that I actually received a text this time (I never had before).  Quicken then prompted me to input the code (which it hadn't before).  I input the code and my access was activated.  The bad thing was that they downloaded over 145 old transactions, which I had to delete.  Otherwise, since then my access has been fine and I haven't been prompted for another one-time code and I've been getting downloads like normal. 

Ted..you are brilliant....hahahaha I have been using this program for years (maybe since 1998?) and never thought dupes during a reset could be so easily avoided. If I could "like" this 100X I would.

Sometimes the least complicated solution is the best.

Now...if after the reset the pop up stops....
  • Jim WilliamsJim Williams Member
    edited February 2017
    Quicken 2015 Deluxe
    I have been having the same issues as everyone else.  This morning feeling I had to try something I went into for C1 "Edit Account Details", clicked the online services tab and clicked on the "Reset Account" button.  I was able to for the first time get a code emailed to me (it actually did this twice during the reset process) and now the account branding updated and now no more error messages and goes through the one step update fine.  Did not get any transactions today but hoping it will start tomorrow.  Will update.
  • Ted BTed B Member
    edited February 2017
    joanzen . said:

Thanks..glad to help
  • J DobonskiJ Dobonski Member
    edited April 2017
    I don't know if this is an issue or but but... The account numbers on the Cap 1 accounts had changed to a the last four digits rather than the entire number. The rest of my accounts were the entire number.
  • Jay DuffJay Duff Member
    edited February 2017
    A Quicken employee actually addressed the issue in this thread:

"Quicken Tamara, Employee

Cap One made some changes to their sites recently that impacted our customers in their Quicken files. While the majority of those problems have been resolved, the One Time Passcode (OTP) prompt is still affecting some customers.

We have reported this to the Financial Data Services team along with some logs and info we've collected, so they can get the final piece of this issue resolved.

What we have found to work is to open a web browser on the computer where Quicken is installed and go to the Cap One Credit Card website, log in and provide any OTP that may be requested, then log out of the site and try again in Quicken immediately. You may still be prompted for the OTP, but you should only have to provide it once, this time."

The suggested solution is not working for me, FYI.
  • edited February 2017
    Jay Duff said:

Cap One made some changes to their sites recently that impacted our customers in their Quicken files. While the majority of those problems have been resolved, the One Time Passcode (OTP) prompt is still affecting some customers.

We have reported this to the Financial Data Services team along with some logs and info we've collected, so they can get the final piece of this issue resolved.

What we have found to work is to open a web browser on the computer where Quicken is installed and go to the Cap One Credit Card website, log in and provide any OTP that may be requested, then log out of the site and try again in Quicken immediately. You may still be prompted for the OTP, but you should only have to provide it once, this time."

Welcome to the club Jay - it amazes me that customer service is not a priority anymore - just like work-a-raunts (having to get your own food at a restaurant) - the same theory is used everywhere else now - and this problem is a good example - Why do WE have to work it out and around it? The non-communication from companies is the main problem for customers - and in this day and age - we as customers just accept it - it's sad, such a lack of pride, for these basic principles if applied (pride, communication, & true customer service) would increase customer loyalty and those profit margins that are the only concern of companies today.
  • Susan ReinisSusan Reinis Member
    edited February 2017
    I forgot to tell you one thing that a Quicken rep had me do and that might help for those having trouble with getting the code.
    Quit Quicken
    Delete the following folders (If you are paranoid - move them to new names:
    \USER\YOUR NAME\APPDATA\ROAMING\INTUIT\QUICKEN and the folders are config, data and log

then restart quicken
  • Brad ReynoldsBrad Reynolds Member
    edited March 2017
    Brad said:

For those of you who are not receiving the code, updating the "Financial Institution Branding and Profile" may help.  How? go to Tools > Online Center > hold Ctrl+Shift and click on Contact Info at the top > select the "Financial Institution Branding and Profile" > Select your Cap One Account > Refresh > Update & Send.  Quit Quicken and launch again.  This approach worked for me where I now receive the code every time.  Your mileage may vary.  Good luck.

The steps to deactivate and setup again work. I would just add a step to set all transactions for the not new "new" transactions. You can set all the ones in the register that a cleared or reconciled back to uncleared. Close and re-open quicken and they will show as matched now.

Using Susan's steps and adjusting:

Step one - go to the setup gear on the account and edit account settings on the correct tab.

Step 2 - deactivate the account

Step 3 - close quicken

Step 4 go back to the account and go the gear

Step 5 - edit account settings.

Step 6 - do NOT reactivate the account - go to online services tab and SET UP the account

Step 7 - this works with the code deal - etc but downloads a ton of transactions

Step 8 - Starting at first date of the "new" duplicate transactions, mark all the transactions you've already cleared or reconciled as "uncleared" This can be done in one step but selecting all the transactions while scrolling (hold Shift key + mouse).

Step 9 close and re-open quicken

Step 10 - Accept all in one step to accept all the matched transactions.
  • BradBrad Member
    edited February 2017
    Jay Duff said:

That suggestion didn't work for me either.  I still have to deal with the OTP's extra steps.  VERY frustrating.
  • Ron CraderRon Crader Member
    edited February 2017

Check your Capital One Messages & Alerts center.  I found that my main Contact Point said "unreachable".  I then went into my Alert Contact Points and removed the unreachable address and re-entered it.  returning to my Set Alerts page, all alerts have been update.  The unreachable email address was the one that Quicken was requesting I confirm.  Open Quicken and the Capital One update ran this time.  Hopefully this is a permanent fix.

Ron C

• Ted BTed B Member
    edited October 2018
    Maybe this will help someone. I noticed when I went to log in to C1 my username,which has 8 letters and numbers, was populated with 4 letters and 10 asterisks..definitely too long. Don't know how it was created but after figuring out how to remove additional log ins and also placing my true log in into autofill...when I open that page all is correct and I've been able to download transactions right from Quicken without any trouble just like I've always done. Hope it stays that way.
  • edited March 2017
    What amazes me is that this is going on for WEEKS and everyone is trying all of these fixes and NOBODY from QUICKEN gets on here to comment!!
  • reid9439reid9439 Member
    edited February 2017
    Brad said:

THIS THREAD SHOULD NOT ME MARKED AS SOLVED.  THIS IS AN OPEN UNSOLVED PROBLEM THAT REQUIRES INITIATIVE FROM THE GOOD FOLKS AT QUICKEN TO CONTACT CAP ONE AND SEE HOW IT CAN BE RESOLVED.

I do use Capital One and "I'm mad as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore."  I'm closing out my Cap One account and switch to another card.  Capital One is not going to give up the two stage login and Quicken "can't" fix the problem.  That's why you don't hear any responses from them. 
  • datdaddydatdaddy Member
    edited February 2017
    Brad said:

For those of you who are not receiving the code, updating the "Financial Institution Branding and Profile" may help.  How? go to Tools > Online Center > hold Ctrl+Shift and click on Contact Info at the top > select the "Financial Institution Branding and Profile" > Select your Cap One Account > Refresh > Update & Send.  Quit Quicken and launch again.  This approach worked for me where I now receive the code every time.  Your mileage may vary.  Good luck.

Thanks Susan and Brad -- this worked for me on Q 2017 Deluxe
  • edited February 2017
    Brad said:

I had the problem that I was never sent the code.  I didn't realize I didn't have my e-mail address set up on the CapitalOne website in profile.  Once I did that, got the code and all has worked (transactions download) great since.
  • Jay MangerJay Manger Member
    edited February 2017
    joanzen . said:

Quicken 2016.  Update 11 appears to have corrected some of the issue.  Still asks for the one time code (still a problem) but the download worked correctly.  Note: I deleted a transaction on my capital one originally and it did not retrieve it.  So I restored quicken from a recent backup and that seemed to correct the download.
  • CaremeCareme Member
    edited February 2017
    joanzen . said:

Joanzen's solution worked for me as well, but I got prompted twice for numeric codes.   Some transactions were indeed matched, but others were dupes that I had to delete manually. 
  • JohnJohn Member
    edited February 2017
    Brad said:

Every one of us with Cap One should have seen few correspondence from them since few months ago that they were updating their systems in January.  Which is exactly what has caused this issue.  This has nothing to do with version of Quicken or OS etc.  So yes, few folks who pointed out here that Cap One and Quicken need to cooperate and get their systems in sync again are correct.  So Cap One needs to explain to Quicken folks what they have changed and then work it out as to which one of them, or both, need to make further changes in their systems to sync things up and get things working smoothly again.  I'll keep my fingers crossed but won't hold my breath!

I decided to take the "KISS" approach to this problem. Simply unchecked C1 from the scheduled/automatic update and instead do a "One Step Update" while I am at my PC. I have been doing this for several weeks and not once have received a one time code. As I said before I suspect these are primarily C1 caused problems that Quicken cannot really correct. The most Quicken can do is communicate our frustrations to C1.
  • caseydogmusiccaseydogmusic Member
    edited March 2017
    I tried the update from within the account and like Kevlar_heart said it worked - once at least. It would be nice if Quicken would fix this.
  • Rocket J SquirrelRocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Ted B said:

Maybe this will help someone. I noticed when I went to log in to C1 my username,which has 8 letters and numbers, was populated with 4 letters and 10 asterisks..definitely too long. Don't know how it was created but after figuring out how to remove additional log ins and also placing my true log in into autofill...when I open that page all is correct and I've been able to download transactions right from Quicken without any trouble just like I've always done. Hope it stays that way.

Some financial sites do this in order to obscure your ID from prying eyes. Your real ID is in their system behind the scenes. You shouldn't need to change the asterisk version.

I hate obscured passwords, too. There is hardly ever a Russian spy lurking behind me to capture my ID and password.
    Quicken user since version 2 for DOS.
    Now using QWin Premier subscription version on Win7 Pro x64.
  • J DobonskiJ Dobonski Member
    edited April 2017
    It seems Quicken has our money and the powers to be don't really care.
  • Ted BTed B Member
    edited March 2017
    Ted B said:

I think you misunderstand what I was pointing out. Asterisks are a substitute for a letter,number or symbol in your login. The combined amount of visible components and asterisks must exactly match the amount in your actual login. If not then it's wrong. They don't just add some random amount of asterisks. If your login is JOEBLOW then JOE**** would be good. JOE********* would not.
  • JohnJohn Member
    edited March 2017

Figure it out. This is a master/slave relationship with Capital One as the master and Quicken as the slave. Capital One needs to take the lead on correcting the problem.
  • JohnJohn Member
    edited March 2017

What amazes me is that this is going on for WEEKS and everyone is trying all of these fixes and NOBODY from QUICKEN gets on here to comment!!

Quicken did comment, indicating the errors are due to changes made by Capital One. Everyone on this board is blaming the wrong party.
  • Ted BTed B Member
    edited March 2017

Exactly...it's like blaming the key because someone changed the lock.
  • BrrrrBrrrr Member
    edited March 2017
    Ted B said:

What you are saying is only correct to a certain point Ted.  And Robert J Squirrel who posted before you is very correct.  The number/amount of asterisks do not have to match the number/amount of password characters - they could, but don't have to.  To be very exact, as you are typing in your password, YES the number of asterisks "could" match your password character count (and hence your statement is correct), but once you hit enter or move to another field they will typically increase (on more advanced/secure sites with more robust policies).  In fact the more secure sites ensure that it doesn't match and typically increase it - sometimes it is visible to you that the asterisks number has increased and sometimes it is not.  I know this for a fact as a former security engineer.  There is a much longer and technical explanation to this but hopefully this should do.  In summary one should feel more secure if the asterisks number increases once you hit enter or move to another field.  Cheers.
  • BradBrad Member
    edited August 2017
    Ted B said:

What you are saying is only correct to a certain point Ted.  And Robert J Squirrel who posted before you is very correct.  The number/amount of asterisks do not have to match the number/amount of login/password characters - they could, but don't have to.  To be very exact, as you are typing in your login credentials, YES the number of asterisks "could" match your character count (and hence your statement is correct), but once you hit enter or move to another field they will typically increase (on more advanced/secure sites with more robust policies).  In fact the more secure sites ensure that it doesn't match and typically increase it - sometimes it is visible to you that the asterisks number has increased and sometimes it is not.  I know this for a fact as a former security engineer.  There is a much longer and technical explanation to this but hopefully this should do.  In summary one should not be alarmed if the asterisks number increases once you hit enter or move to another field.  Cheers.
  • edited March 2017

Nonsense. There are several financial aggregators that have no problem with Capital One right now. Financial Engines and Personal Capital to name two. MoneyWiz software (uses Yodlee) also has no issue with the changes.
  • edited March 2017

That doesn't explain why every other financial aggregator has successfully solved the problem. My guess, and it's uneducated, is that the architecture of Quicken's code base is having a problem with the type of change Capital One made and they're having a hard time adapting to the new security measures without a lot of code rewrite. If that's accurate, it's completely Quicken's problem. They don't hold near the weight they did to dictate to banks. It's their problem to adapt.
This discussion has been closed.