want to sort by tags

I am a long time MS Money user and I am still using it today. I have been very satisfied with it as we do not have a lot of needs but to keep some records and print some reports. Son is going to take over business and thought we should look for something that could be updated in the future since he may use it for years to come. We purchased Q deluxe 2017.
No matter which report I use I can not define the report by certain tags. Under customization tab I click off the tags that I do not want to be included on report but does not matter it still appears on reports. I am not sure what the use of the tags are if not able to define them on a report. I can refine by date but sometimes the dates overlap so don't get an accurate report.
This seems like such a simple and needed option that I cant understand why it would not be supported. Thanks for any help.

Comments

• NotACPANotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    I'm not following why you can't filter, or sort, by tags.  Which specific reports?

Because, as shown below in Customize dialog for the Banking Transactions report, you can indeed sort by tags and, via the Tags tab, customize by tag.

Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription,  Home & Business
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP
  • rpierretrpierret Member
    edited October 2018
    Thanks for reply I will try to clarify. I have just set up a small test file to play with so I can see if this software is going to work for me. I have four tags: 2016, 2017, Deductible, Non-Deductible. I am in the Spending Report section, spending by category report. When I go to customization button and select tags tab I unclick the tags that I don't want to appear on report but they still appear on the report. I thought that I should be able to define the report by what tags that I select but does not seem to work that way. Once again any help appreciated. Maybe there is another way of doing what I want.
  • QPWQPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2017
    rpierret said:

Thanks for reply I will try to clarify. I have just set up a small test file to play with so I can see if this software is going to work for me. I have four tags: 2016, 2017, Deductible, Non-Deductible. I am in the Spending Report section, spending by category report. When I go to customization button and select tags tab I unclick the tags that I don't want to appear on report but they still appear on the report. I thought that I should be able to define the report by what tags that I select but does not seem to work that way. Once again any help appreciated. Maybe there is another way of doing what I want.

From what I see Spending by Category filters the tags correctly, but you can't tell it to group by tags or sort by tags.  It is a category report, and as such that is going to be the only grouping and everything else will be to filter things.  Like "give my the total of all these categories that have this tag."

If you look at NotACPA's example you will see that it is a transaction report.
    (Reports -> Banking -> Transaction)

This kind of report allows of controlling the grouping (subtotals) and the sorting.
    Here is an example grouped and sorted by tag.:
    edited February 2017
    I am trying to sort by 2 or more tags. On either a transaction or category report is I check 2 tags they both are included in the report. What I am looking for is if I check 2 tags both of them have to meet the criteria before they are on report. If you look at above message I mentioned tags that I have. If I check the 2016 and the Non Deductible I would like both of them to be meet before it is on the report but 2017 are also included. If there is another way I would appreciate it if you would let me know. Right now I am working on making 2 sets of expense categories, 1 Deductible and 1 Non Deductible to get what I would like. Just thought would be easier if I could use tags and sort it that way.
    Thanks again
    edited October 2018
    Are you trying to SORT on the Tag field, or Filter by it?  Your 1st sentence says sort ... but your "if I check 2 tags" suggests filtering.

And "sort by 2 or more tags" makes no sense.  You sort on a Field ... not on a value in that field.  You filter by the value in the field
  • gmalis1gmalis1 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    You don't need to make separate Deductible or Non Deductible categories.  You also don't need to have tags for them or tags for 2016 or 2017.

Just assign tax line designations for those deductible categories.  Then run a Tax Schedule report for either or both years.

You're making this way too complicated.

See "add tax line item" in Quicken's HELP file for more information.
    edited February 2017
    gmalis1 said:

You don't need to make separate Deductible or Non Deductible categories.  You also don't need to have tags for them or tags for 2016 or 2017.

Just assign tax line designations for those deductible categories.  Then run a Tax Schedule report for either or both years.

Problem with that is if a 2016 deductible item has a paid date in 2017 it will show up in 2017. Now you are going to ask why it is in 2017 that is because I may have paid it in 2016 but check cleared bank in 2017.
    edited February 2017

Are you trying to SORT on the Tag field, or Filter by it?  Your 1st sentence says sort ... but your "if I check 2 tags" suggests filtering.

And "sort by 2 or more tags" makes no sense.  You sort on a Field ... not on a value in that field.  You filter by the value in the field

Yes I am not correct with verbage I want to filter by the tags checked
    edited February 2017
    gmalis1 said:

That would suggest that you aren't manually inputting transactions ... but are waiting until they download from your bank and thusly entered into Q.

The solution to your 2016/2017 dilemma is to simply change the date, in Q, for that check to the date that it was actually written.
    edited February 2017
    gmalis1 said:

No I am manually entering them but if I change date then the report will not match my report to check monthly bank statement.
  • gmalis1gmalis1 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2017
    gmalis1 said:

If you're talking about that the cleared date is after your bank statement period, you can always reconcile the account and then go back and still change the date.

If you paid (physically) your bill in 2016 and it's postmarked in 2016, then even if your bank clears the check in 2017 it's still a 2016 bill.

Change the date to when you actually wrote the check.

For example... I paid my mortgage loan due January 1 on December 28.  The bank cleared the check on January 4.  It was even an online payment through the mortgage company website.

I received a tax statement for mortgage loan interest...and I was credited for the December 28 payment as 2016 mortgage interest.

I download transactions, so the download showed January 4, 2017...the bank clear date.

I just changed that one transaction date to 12/28/2016.  

Easy peasy.  
    edited February 2017
    gmalis1 said:

Thanks that would work. I just thought that with todays technology I shouldn't have to go back and change things in software. Like I said I am longtime MS money user and thought that Quicken should be able to do what I want. There must not be a way to do it the way I am looking at. Thanks will work on it to see if I can get something to work.
    Thanks again
    edited February 2017
    gmalis1 said:

I'm not quite following.  If you wrote the check in 2016, and manually recorded it in Q with a 2016 date, but it cleared the bank in 2017, what statement would it not reconcile to? 

A statement dated 12/31/16 would show it as uncleared in Q ... since the bank wouldn't know about it until later.  It would simply be an uncleared item in that reconciliation.

A statement dated 1/31/17 would include it ... and it would be reconciled to the 1/31/17 statement but still included as a payment in 2016 ... since that's when you wrote the check.

The check doesn't have to be included on a 12/31 bank statement (or prior) to be a 2016 expense.  When you wrote the check determines what tax year it falls into.
  • mistertheplaguemistertheplague Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    To the OP: I'm not clear on what it is you're actually doing with your tags or in your reports, but if you're a long-time Money user, you might be getting thrown off by a couple of big differences in how Quicken and Money handle tags (or classes, as they're called in Money). 

The system of tagging you're used to in Money is hierarchical and subordinated, just like categories are in both programs. In Money, you can create two sets of classes (Class1 and Class2) for all of the transactions in your Money file. Each of those classes can be assigned (I believe) an unlimited number of subclasses. So, to use your examples, I'm guessing in Money you assigned certain transactions with a class>subclass like 2016>Deductible.

Quicken doesn't work that way. There's no hierarchy to the tagging system and tags cannot be made subordinate to one another. To approximate your Money class>subclass structure in Quicken, you need to assign multiple tags to each transaction in the account register. To filter out the transaction, you need to deselect all of the tags you assigned to it.

The other big difference is that Quicken for Windows presumes that all transactions are secretly tagged as "Not Tagged" (which you'll see checked by default at the top of your tag-filtering window).

By contrast, because Money has no presumption that all transactions are classified as unclassified, its setup for filtering classes in reports is strongly biased in favor of isolating a specific number of targeted transactions in a report and blotting out the rest.

It's all too easy in Money to deselect a class in report filtering and have everything in your report evaporate because none of the other transactions are classified with another class from the same set as the one you just deselected. That won't happen in Quicken unless you specifically configure Quicken to make it work that way.

The upshot of this for you working in Quicken is that if you uncheck a tag you might still see certain transactions in your report you thought would disappear if you didn't assign them multiple tags and deselect all of those tags in your report customization window.

While you can certainly configure Quicken's report filtering to be Money-like, i.e. to nuke most of a report and only leave a handful of transactions left standing, by default Quicken's setup in this area is to pare away transactions. They're different setups, and although it might take some getting used to, I strongly prefer Quicken for this job. I like and use Money as well; in several important areas it remains unparalleled. But in this area -- sorting, filtering, categorizing, tagging, etc. -- due to its flexibility Quicken outpaces Money, in my opinion. Hope that's helpful.
    edited March 2017
    Yes I believe I understand better now. Very good job at explaining the fine differences between the two (Q&Money). I know see i was trying to make tags do something that they weren't designed to do.Since I am still trying to learn this product, I think I have figured out a work around for my situation, I have to do some changes and play with it to see. If you have any suggestions I would be willing to try them also. Thanks for the help.
This discussion has been closed.