Warning that holdings don't match after accepting Buy or Reinvest transaction

Options
Unknown
Unknown Member
edited August 2018 in Investing (Windows)
When I accept downloaded reinvestment or purchase transactions in an investment account, I get a warning that my holdings in Quicken don't match my holdings online.  This has been going on for a few years now.  I get it with both TD Ameritrade and First Clearing accounts, and with one-step update and transactions downloaded from the web.

It used to offer to generate a placeholder transaction.  Now it seems that placeholder transactions are gone, and all I get is a warning.  I see that there is a setting to disable the comparison of holdings, but it would be nice for the feature to be working correctly so I don't have to disable it.

Comments

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    My experience is similar except I do NOT get a "warning" about my holdings.  Instead after inputing the date, name of holding, Dividend amount reinvested and shares acquired I often get a wrong/different price/share than that shown on official statement from my broker (Computershare).  This seems to affect my total share balance, account market value, and virtually all other data such as Capital Gain/Loss, Cash balance, etc.  Would appreciate a fix to these calculations or a means to enter all data manually (especially price/share) when discrepancies appear.  Of course one difference is, I'm using Mac OS 10.12.3 (Sierra) with Quicken 2017 program.
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Options
    When you have the Securities mismatch popup, next to each discrepancy should be a "Details" button.  Clicking that will then give you the option "Ignore for now" or "Create a placeholder".  

My choice is always to ignore, research the discrepancy myself, and then manually make the appropriate adjustment.  I dislike placeholders.  

@R S:  "My experience is similar except " its different.  For a different problem, you should locate a post truly similar or start your own.  
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    I want to clarify that I am not concerned about the change in the placeholder suggestion. I am concerned that Quicken is warning me that the online holdings don't match the holdings in Quicken, even though they do match. When I pursued this before, the holdings reported in the online center matched the holdings in the account in Quicken. Quicken seemed to be using the holdings calculated for a different date when making the comparison after accepting downloaded transactions.
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Options

I want to clarify that I am not concerned about the change in the placeholder suggestion. I am concerned that Quicken is warning me that the online holdings don't match the holdings in Quicken, even though they do match. When I pursued this before, the holdings reported in the online center matched the holdings in the account in Quicken. Quicken seemed to be using the holdings calculated for a different date when making the comparison after accepting downloaded transactions.

@John Stinson:  Thanks for the clarification.  I did not pick up that understanding from your original post.  

If I were seeing that warning and no actual differences in the share quantities, I would probably look the following directions:
    a)  Have Quicken make a copy of the file, then validate that copy choosing the rebuild lots option also.  No high expectations for that process, but relatively simple to run through.  
    b)  I would check preference settings to make sure that Hidden transactions were shown, then review transactions for the securities to assure my self there were no placeholders in the records.  If there were some, I would delete them and enter corrective transactions.  
    c)  I would look at the help - Log File for the OFX downloads, save that to a text file, and then review the data downloaded from the Financial Institution (FI).  That data will identify the security, share quantity, and applicable date that Quicken is calling the online data exactly as it comes from the FI.  That might allay concerns about dates.  Quicken should be comparing your data as of the end of that date, to the data from the FI on that same date.  That same date should be reflected through the Online Center comparison.  

I'm not sure any of that will resolve anything for you.  
This discussion has been closed.