REBALANCE EXCHANGE PURCH not downloading

Options
Unknown
Unknown Member
edited October 2018 in Investing (Windows)
I had my broker rebalance within my 529 plan.  The transactions REBALANCE EXCHANGE REDEMP show in Quicken as downloaded transactions as SoldX, and is asking me where to put the cash.  The issue is that Quicken isnt seeing/downloading the REBALANCE EXCHANGE PURCH transactions at all.  They moved from mutual funds to bond funds, if that matters.

How can I get Quicken to recognize and download the "purch" transactions?

2017 Premier Version: R4 Build 26.1.4.5
Windows 10 Pro

Comments

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Do you have this setting on?
    Edit -> Preferences -> Downloaded transactions  -> Automatically add to investment transaction lists

If you do there is a long standing bug in Quicken where for certain transaction types in investment accounts it needs to "ask you about them".  And this only gets triggered if the Downloaded Transactions tab is showing.  And with the above option it will not be showing.

You can turn off the above option to change this for every investment account, or you can go into the account details -> Online Services and override the setting for just that account.

Note that Quicken also has "refresh" problems when you change modes like this.  So after changing it try going to another account and back.  And if the Downloaded Transactions tab and the transactions don't show up, try restarting Quicken.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Thanks for the reply.  No, the preference is not checked on.  I have always had the downloaded transactions tab and then I accept them into the register.  The 3 transactions that are REDEMP with my broker are showing still in the downloaded tab, with SoldX.  When I try to accept them, it wants me to put the cash in another account.  It seems Quicken is incorrectly picking up REDEMP as SoldX, and not showing the corresponding PURCH at all.  I guess I can choose "don't modify any cash balances" but I don't want cash parked in my account when it should be in the new bonds.

Is it possible Quicken doesn't recognize the existence of: REBALANCE EXCHANGE PURCH?

Maybe I have to accept and not modify cash balances.  I guess I could manually add the purchase, and hopefully Quicken will pick up any future transactions?

Any other suggestions?  Thanks again for your reply
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    bklobster said:

Thanks for the reply.  No, the preference is not checked on.  I have always had the downloaded transactions tab and then I accept them into the register.  The 3 transactions that are REDEMP with my broker are showing still in the downloaded tab, with SoldX.  When I try to accept them, it wants me to put the cash in another account.  It seems Quicken is incorrectly picking up REDEMP as SoldX, and not showing the corresponding PURCH at all.  I guess I can choose "don't modify any cash balances" but I don't want cash parked in my account when it should be in the new bonds.

Is it possible Quicken doesn't recognize the existence of: REBALANCE EXCHANGE PURCH?

Maybe I have to accept and not modify cash balances.  I guess I could manually add the purchase, and hopefully Quicken will pick up any future transactions?

OK I think I understand now.  Quicken doesn't have to "recognize" the "REBALANCE EXCHANGE PURCH" that is the description of the transaction.

What Quicken is going off of is what your financial institution sent as the action type for the transaction.  And only they can change it.

What's more it seems that they think this should all happen in one transaction, or are just not sending down the other part of this exchange.  As far as I know though there is in fact no way to do an exchange from one security to another without doing a sell and then a purchase.

The one mystery to me is why SoldX instead of just Sold.  SoldX means that there should be another account (not just another security) involved.  But that can be explained if you have a linked cash account.  If you have a linked cash account all of the transactions that affect the cash balance should either be put in the cash account or be transfers to/from the cash account.

To understand exactly what the financial institution is doing someone like your financial institution of maybe Quicken support should look at the OFX log (Help -> Log Files... -> OFX log).  It is a text file, but if you don't know what you are looking at it might be hard for you to tell what it is saying.
    Here is a link to the OFX standard: http://www.ofx.net/downloads/OFX%202.2.pdf
    (Validate actions are given on page 468, and at the end of this I have given an example of a buy of mutual fund)

Also you should understand that Quicken is talking directly to your financial institution.
    http://www.quicken.com/contact-support Links are near the bottom of the page.

There have been some problems with linked cash accounts, but Quicken 2017 R4 shouldn't have those problems, and they are that the cash transactions won't show up in the linked cash account.  There will be a red flag that doesn't clear.  And that problem wouldn't even include buys or sells, because they go into the investment account, not the linked cash account.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    bklobster said:

Oops forgot to include the example buy I mentioned above:
    <BUYMF><INVBUY><INVTRAN><FITID>230590534<DTTRADE>20100923160000.000[-5:EST]<DTSETTLE>20100924160000.000[-5:EST]<MEMO>BUY</INVTRAN><SECID><UNIQUEID>461418691<UNIQUEIDTYPE>CUSIP</SECID><UNITS>97.276<UNITPRICE>10.2800279<TOTAL>-1000.0<SUBACCTSEC>CASH<SUBACCTFUND>CASH</INVBUY><BUYTYPE>BUY</BUYMF>
This discussion has been closed.