Capital One download update asking for one time code

Comments

• BradBrad Member
    edited July 2018
    Although I too started having problems with C1 updates like everyone else at the beginning of Feb when C1 updated their security, the following approach solved my problem and for the past two weeks everything is working as it did in the past - crossing my fingers!  Give this a try and hope it helps you:  Try updating the "Financial Institution Branding and Profile". 
    How? go to Tools > Online Center > hold Ctrl+Shift and click on
    Contact Info at the top > select the "Financial Institution Branding
    and Profile" > Select your Cap One Account > Refresh > Update
    & Send.  Quit Quicken and launch again.  FYI I am running Quicken 2016 premier R11 on Win10 Pro.  Maybe the recent R11 update helped too? Your mileage may vary!
  • edited March 2017
    Brad said:

Although I too started having problems with C1 updates like everyone else at the beginning of Feb when C1 updated their security, the following approach solved my problem and for the past two weeks everything is working as it did in the past - crossing my fingers!  Give this a try and hope it helps you:  Try updating the "Financial Institution Branding and Profile". 
    & Send.  Quit Quicken and launch again.  FYI I am running Quicken 2016 premier R11 on Win10 Pro.  Maybe the recent R11 update helped too? Your mileage may vary!

Worked for me too - Quicken 2015 Home & Business R12 on Win7
  • Ted BTed B Member
    edited March 2017
    Ted B said:

Maybe this will help someone. I noticed when I went to log in to C1 my username,which has 8 letters and numbers, was populated with 4 letters and 10 asterisks..definitely too long. Don't know how it was created but after figuring out how to remove additional log ins and also placing my true log in into autofill...when I open that page all is correct and I've been able to download transactions right from Quicken without any trouble just like I've always done. Hope it stays that way.

This was a username that would auto populate that field...I never typed it in and watched it increase the asterisks. It didn't even exist before C1 was causing problems. And it mysteriously showed up in Quicken account details.At the website, There was a drop down with the ones I was responsible for and the visible character counts did indeed match. Once I eliminated the phantom username the Quicken dilemma was solved. So while I may be not 100% technically correct and I'll defer to you in that area, I may have simply discovered an inexplicable glitch and a way to fix it. It wouldn't be the first time..LOL
  • Ted BTed B Member
    edited March 2017

It seems Quicken has our money and the powers to be don't really care.

Do you use any of these programs? I'm just wondering if they are any good. But I'm thinking if you did you wouldn't care about Q working.
  • edited March 2017

I'm switching to MoneyWiz at the end of the month when investment support for Windows & Android is finally supported. I'm sure it'll have bugs too but after watching their community for about 6 months, their support is very active and competent. Replies within 24-48 hours is standard. The other services are not the same as they don't support user input of data. They are strictly aggregators and dashboards.
  • BradBrad Member
    edited August 2017
    Ted B said:

Maybe this will help someone. I noticed when I went to log in to C1 my username,which has 8 letters and numbers, was populated with 4 letters and 10 asterisks..definitely too long. Don't know how it was created but after figuring out how to remove additional log ins and also placing my true log in into autofill...when I open that page all is correct and I've been able to download transactions right from Quicken without any trouble just like I've always done. Hope it stays that way.

I see your valid point.  As an FYI I have a financial institution (not quicken related) that garbles both, my user ID and password, and increases each just as I am typing them from say 10 chars to perhaps 30 such that I never know if I typed them correctly - talk about confusion!  But clearly that is not the case here as you discovered this glitch.  Thank you.  Also please take a look at another post I wrote down below which solved my issue and perhaps it will help you and others too.
  • Ted BTed B Member
    edited March 2017

Yes I looked at Money wiz but declined because it didn't handle investments. Truthfully this C1 issue was annoying but not enough to make me start over with something new that as you say will probably be buggy. I really don't have much trouble with Q. My main concern is data transfer..an area where things usually go wrong. Good luck Jeff.
  • BradBrad Member
    edited August 2017

I tried personal capital and mint but don't like the fact that all my personal and financial info, passwords etc. is out there in the cloud.  So Closed those accounts. Does that mean Quicken is better?  Who knows how they manage my info but makes me feel better that the stuff is on my PC and not in the cloud - old school (I don't use quicken mobile nor sync with quicken cloud).  Tried MoneyWiz when this fiasco with C1 started but that program does not handle investment accounts properly which is a showstopper for my particular case and I don't want to be part of their growing pains as it will be buggy and limited when they introduce it. My 2 cents.
  • edited March 2017

MoneyWiz is not new. They've been around a long time. It's just the investment account support that is new. The way I look at it is that Quicken's bugs are terrible already. In the past week I've had a paycheck memorized transaction randomly change the date interval on me resulting in a double up of a paycheck deposit. I've got phantom bill reminders from unlinked billers that puts 30+ $0 bill reminders in my bill reminder list after a validate is run yet worse, changes my main checking account forecast by >$5000 vs when the $0 bills are deleted by me. Therefore I have no idea how much money I actually have in the next 12 months.

So I'll deal with bugs either way. The turning point for me is ridiculous and nonexistent support from Quicken vs MoneyWiz who appears to be really trying hard. One company, in my opinion, has earned my money and the other hasn't.
  • Ted BTed B Member
    edited March 2017

With that many problems I don't blame you for throwing in the towel,
  • CC Member
    edited March 2017
    Brad said:

Didn't work for me.
  • CC Member
    edited March 2017
    TLDR; Get the latest version (R11) and try deactivating and reactivating.
    Full report:
    I've been having this problem for quite a while. Strangely, it would ask me for the address to send me the one time code, but I would never get that code. And even more strangely, it would then proceed to update the account properly anyway!
    Since it was updating, (although it always asked for an email address and never sending the code) I just ignored the problem. 
    Yesterday, I updated my Quicken Deluxe 2016 from R10 to R11.
    And the problem persisted. So I decided to try fixing it. I tried Brad's idea above and it did nothing for me.
    So I deactivated and the reactivated the account. And during this process it asked me for an address and then *for the first time ever* popped up a box for me to enter the code. And *lo and behold* my email had a code in it. I entered the code, and things started working again. It did bring up a bunch of new automatic "Renaming Rules", I don't know why. But after accepting them the account did update. And it does not seem to be asking me for an address for a one time code anymore! 
    Hopefully this fix will stay working.
  • edited March 2017
    C said:

Full report:
    I've been having this problem for quite a while. Strangely, it would ask me for the address to send me the one time code, but I would never get that code. And even more strangely, it would then proceed to update the account properly anyway!
    Since it was updating, (although it always asked for an email address and never sending the code) I just ignored the problem. 
    And the problem persisted. So I decided to try fixing it. I tried Brad's idea above and it did nothing for me.
    So I deactivated and the reactivated the account. And during this process it asked me for an address and then *for the first time ever* popped up a box for me to enter the code. And *lo and behold* my email had a code in it. I entered the code, and things started working again. It did bring up a bunch of new automatic "Renaming Rules", I don't know why. But after accepting them the account did update. And it does not seem to be asking me for an address for a one time code anymore! 

I have Quicken Deluxe 2017 R4. And my experience is similar to C's -- Brad's idea didn't seem to help (but maybe that is a first step to get C's idea to work?).

In any case, I have 3 C1 accounts (X, Y, and Z): 2 under one username (X and Y) and 1 under another username (Z). I first picked account X and followed C's instructions (except in Q 2017 there is a "Reset Account" button that automatically does the deactivate and reactivate. I then followed the instructions including getting and setting an OTP for each account X and Y. Finally, the reset is complete and there is a green check next to the "Reset Account" button. And now accounts X and Y work like they used to.

However, resetting Z didn't go as smoothly: first attempt it created a bogus account that the Quicken "Fix It" dialog suggest I delete. I did but account Z is still screwed up. I tried another couple of times and got various errors such as "can't reach the C1 server".

So I guess you could say I was 67% successful.
  • edited March 2017
    BTW, I am also looking into MoneyWiz. However, apparently there is a bug in the Windows PC version that causes the import of the Q exported data (.QIF) to fail. For me that is a show stopper.

When/if they get that bug fixed and I can import without to much hassle, and they get investment support, I will probably say good-bye to Quicken.
  • edited March 2017
    That's the first I've heard of that bug. Where did you read about this issue?
  • edited March 2017

I didn't read about it. I experienced it and it was confirmed by MoneyWiz support.
  • CC Member
    edited March 2017
    C said:

Full report:

Richard, I actually also have more than one C1 account, and had issues with the second account where it struggled similarly (and made a bogus temp account) to your experience. I just kept playing with the second account reseting and activating deactivating, quitting the program and restarting, and eventually I must have done something right and the second account finally did the code email/entry thing and started to work. I also may have done something in the password manager like deleting that account's password. The second account was a pain in the @ss... good luck!
  • edited March 2017

So basically no QIF files exported from Quicken will import to MoneyWiz?
  • edited March 2017

According to support it only is a bug on Windows PC.
  • Betsy HansenBetsy Hansen Member
    edited March 2017
    RobM said:

I had the same thing happen. I edited the account, disabled online transfers, restarted Quicken, then set it up to connect again with username and password. It sent me an e-mail with a code, I entered the code and it connected the accounts. One thing I noticed was that it downloaded some older transactions that showed as "New" at the bottom of the page. I clicked "Match manually" and deleted those. Others that showed as "match," i just clicked "accept" (they were already there from a previous download" and it did not add them again. Everything seems to be working fine now.

March 6 - still asking, don't get code, downloads anyway....
  • EdEd Member
    edited January 2018
    Please review and follow:
    Updated: Issue or Error Updating Capital One Accounts-
    https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/updated-issue-or-error-updating-capital-one-acco...
  • CC Member
    edited March 2017
    Seeing Edgardo comment above makes me curious if Quicken has done something to try and fix the problem. I had it all working properly yesterday but I just did an update and for one of the accounts it asked me for the code again, and it did send it to my email and the download worked. Strangely, it didn't ask anything about my second C1 account, and that downloaded normally anyway.
  • edited March 2017
    I did not have any messages in my accounts with C1. Tried again - I still receive a Quicken error for 2 of the accounts - along with the one time code pages popping up for all three accounts. I am thinking because I have different sign ins for C1 yet the same email addy - there lies my problem.
  • CC Member
    edited January 22
    Lisa, have you updated to the latest version of the quicken software? And activated and deactivated the accounts? That is what seemed to work for me. Bt I did have to wrestle with the second account to get it to work as well, you can see that in my posts above.
  • edited March 2017
    C said:

Lisa, have you updated to the latest version of the quicken software? And activated and deactivated the accounts? That is what seemed to work for me. Bt I did have to wrestle with the second account to get it to work as well, you can see that in my posts above.

Yes - I do have the latest version of quicken - Humm I did deactivate and re activate prior - with no avail - since then I did change the email address' on C1 - so lat me try the reactivation process again - thank you..
  • CC Member
    edited March 2017
    C said:

Please let us know how it goes, especially with multiple accounts! Good luck!
  • edited March 2017
    C said:

Thank you - working on it now - got the one time code after deactivating and reactivating - it downloaded 1200 days worth of transactions lol - lucky for me I reconcile so just accepted all - pretty easy - now the test to see what happens tomorrow!
  • CC Member
    edited March 2017
    C said:

Sounds like two of us may have it working now, hopefully it works for the rest of the people too.
  • James DutilJames Dutil Member
    edited March 2017
    C said:

This did not work for me. I'm running quicken 2017 r4. No messages on c1 website.
  • edited April 2017
    RobM said:

I had the same thing happen. I edited the account, disabled online transfers, restarted Quicken, then set it up to connect again with username and password. It sent me an e-mail with a code, I entered the code and it connected the accounts. One thing I noticed was that it downloaded some older transactions that showed as "New" at the bottom of the page. I clicked "Match manually" and deleted those. Others that showed as "match," i just clicked "accept" (they were already there from a previous download" and it did not add them again. Everything seems to be working fine now.

This solution does not work. The process works fine but after, it will still ask for a code with 1 step update. Unbelievable that Quicken has not fixed this issue after weeks of complaints.
This discussion has been closed.