Is there a report in Q17, Windows 10, of "running totals" or "totals to date" of shares purchased of

Jeffrey Kirk
Jeffrey Kirk Member ✭✭✭
edited November 2018 in Investing (Windows)

Comments

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Which QW2017 product are you running?

There's no report that show "running totals" ... but there's LOTS of Investing reports that show total shares currently owned, value of them, and cost basis.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Jeffrey Kirk
    Jeffrey Kirk Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
     Sorry 'bout that:  QW2017 Premier.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Have you looked at Investing tab / Portfolio view?
    Recommend you group this view by accounts (see Group by: [...] in the view's header).
    You may have to customize the view to include all your accounts and all your securities.
  • Jeffrey Kirk
    Jeffrey Kirk Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    I think I have tried that, but it doesn't show running totals or balances.
  • Jeffrey Kirk
    Jeffrey Kirk Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Never mind-I found it!  Thanks for all of your responses.  Very prompt and accurate.
  • Jeffrey Kirk
    Jeffrey Kirk Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Oops!  I found one that gave me a running total of value, but not # of shared, nor cost
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2017

Oops!  I found one that gave me a running total of value, but not # of shared, nor cost

Just for reference, what report shows 'running total of value'?

• Jeffrey Kirk
    Jeffrey Kirk Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    I am not on my computer at present, but I believe it is "investing", "Portfolio Balances and Values". I will check when I return . Thanks.
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2017

I am not on my computer at present, but I believe it is "investing", "Portfolio Balances and Values". I will check when I return . Thanks.

There's 'Portfolio Value and Cost Basis", which has an option to set the Interval.  Is that what you mean by running balance?

• Jeffrey Kirk
    Jeffrey Kirk Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Yes, but I would also like number of shares totaled like the cost balance
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2017

Yes, but I would also like number of shares totaled like the cost balance

I don't think that can be done in Q.  BUT, if you're Excel savvy, you might be able to take the Investment Transactions report, export that to Excel and then create a Pivot Table in Excel to do what you want.

• mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Try sorting your investment account register by security.

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Jeffrey Kirk
    Jeffrey Kirk Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    OK, here is what I'm looking for: On the report created by Investing/Portfolio Value and Cost Basis, add a column showing the cumulative number of shares at each time interval chosen.
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Perhaps this will be close enough to what you are looking for:

On the Investment/Portfolio tab, you can customize the display to show the current number of shares, price per share, cost basis, total value, etc. You can group either by security or by account. You can print this list or export it using File/Print portfolio. You can also set the "As of" date to whatever you want to get your holdings and value at that time.

Another really handy trick is if you group this by Accounts, you can click on Expand all and it will show all your tax lots as of the selected date.
    QWin Premier subscription
  • Jeffrey Kirk
    Jeffrey Kirk Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Thanks.  Does anyone think it would help to contact the Quicken folks with this (and other) suggestions?
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2017

Thanks.  Does anyone think it would help to contact the Quicken folks with this (and other) suggestions?

You can certainly post your "Idea" on this site.  Ideas are supposed to get forwarded to the development teams.  As to whether that "would help", depends on the idea.

This idea, I doubt it.  You haven't demonstrated any broad value to the general user base that this idea would address.  Nor has any great demand for this feature appeared (a well-worded idea might generate such demand, I suppose).  

Note as this discussion unfolded, you did not really seem to be wanting this "running total" of shares.  You seemed satisfied with having the current share quantities at discrete points in time, perhaps paired with the cost basis and current values at those same time points.  A variation on the Security Detail View graphs of Price and Market Values might be more meaningful or useful than a tabular report.    
  • Jeffrey Kirk
    Jeffrey Kirk Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Thanks, I really appreciate your respomse.

On the other hand, I disagree with you as to the need for a report such as this, and my purposes for such a report. While my posts may have been unclear or confusing, my original (and ongoing throughout this thread) desire to have an ongoing number of shares, their respective cost basis as well as current value all in one report. To accomplish this currently, I need to download 2 separate reports into Excel, merge them and cut and paste to get the desired results. Such a report, in my opinion, would be useful for both tax (both income and estate) as well as financial planning purposes.

Thanks again.
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2017

On the other hand, I disagree with you as to the need for a report such as this, and my purposes for such a report. While my posts may have been unclear or confusing, my original (and ongoing throughout this thread) desire to have an ongoing number of shares, their respective cost basis as well as current value all in one report. To accomplish this currently, I need to download 2 separate reports into Excel, merge them and cut and paste to get the desired results. Such a report, in my opinion, would be useful for both tax (both income and estate) as well as financial planning purposes.

Thanks again.

Why is number of shares/units valuable apart from the value OF those units?

I care about what the portfolios/accounts are worth ... not how many shares I have in them.

Some years ago, a poster wanted the sum of the number of shares in an account to be displayed.  I inquired as to whether that meant that an account with 1 share of a MMF and 1 share of BRKA should reflect 2 shares ... and what was the possible value of that info.

This running/interval number of shares request seems, to me, to be equally useless.

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2017

Thanks again.

And while I too am skeptical of the value of the idea, similar to NotACPA's citation, users (multiple) did want to see a 'running' share balance in the transaction list for investment accounts.  The data was there for a SMF account, where it made some degree of sense, but had not been available in a general investment account, where it seems less logical and valuable to me.  So that is a clear example of a time developers were responsive to user requests on a similar topic.  
  • Jeffrey Kirk
    Jeffrey Kirk Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Thanks. Just to be clear, I have several "Securities" (i. E Stocks) , aka "Investments", in each brokerage "Account" that I own. It is these securities/stocks that I want to have the report for (that is to individually total on an ongoing basis). I do not want to total ALL the securities/stocks in the Account, only the individual stocks. As a CPA and atty, I can see multiple uses for this particular report (tax planning, estate planning/valuation, gifts, etc.), as opposed to the two, and possibly more, step(s) process I described previously.

BTW, what is a "SMF" account?
  • mshiggins
    edited March 2017

Thanks. Just to be clear, I have several "Securities" (i. E Stocks) , aka "Investments", in each brokerage "Account" that I own. It is these securities/stocks that I want to have the report for (that is to individually total on an ongoing basis). I do not want to total ALL the securities/stocks in the Account, only the individual stocks. As a CPA and atty, I can see multiple uses for this particular report (tax planning, estate planning/valuation, gifts, etc.), as opposed to the two, and possibly more, step(s) process I described previously.

What is an "atty"?

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2017

SMF = Single Mutual Fund -- an account structure in Quicken limited to holding only a single security and no cash 

Atty = attorney.
  • Jeffrey Kirk
    Jeffrey Kirk Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Attorney
  • mshiggins
    edited March 2017

Thanks, Lurker, for the explanation.

I'm not sure why the OP is not able to use the Portfolio itself as their report. Perhaps they don't know they can "print" it to a tab delimited file that can be used in Excel.

• Jeffrey Kirk
    Jeffrey Kirk Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Thanks all. I am relatively new to Quicken, and still quite the novice at all of its bells and whistles. I will try that route as well.
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2017

The portfolio view is structured for one day at a time - the As of Date.  

Your idea of sorting the transaction list by security certainly presents the running total of shares,but lacks the associated cost basis and market value on those dates. 

Two additional thoughts:  
    1)  Generally speaking, I would want my financial professional presenting the Portfolio Value report (shares, cost basis, Market Value, etc.) as a base report for a particular snapshot in time - a date.  I would not expect to see the progression from one Month (quarter, etc) to the next.  

2)  If I found my financial professional was using Quicken to manage, condense and present my finances, I'd likely fire him on the spot.  I expect my financial professionals to use professional software.  Quicken is personal financial software, it is not auditable, does not provide any trails, can be easily manipulated.  

Now if my financial professional could and would set things up for me so that I could effectively use Quicken for investing, for (Schedule C) business records, for tax prep work, that would be a reason to use those services.  

@Jeffrey Kirk:  No bad intentions in those prior remarks.  Not trying to cast aspersions on you, your professionalism or your business.  Just one person's opinion.    
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    OP has never responded to question as to why # shs has value apart from $. 

BECAUSE IT DOESN'T!!!!

• Jeffrey Kirk
    Jeffrey Kirk Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017

Thanks Lurker, I appreciate your observations. I am glad my explanation(s) were clear enough for someone! LOL.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited April 2017

I have LONG wanted such a report with running totals of shares and investment (basis).   It IS useful for such things as checking against monthly statements.   And year end statements.   Much easier to spot discrepancies    And... it should be so easy for this program (Quicken generally) to spit out.   But Nooooooo... they rejected my request at least a decade and a half ago.    Said NOBODY wanted it.   But over the years, I keep checking for some sort of hack to get this report... and see lots of people like this saying they wanted just what I wanted.    Oh well....
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited April 2017

Why can't you just run an Investment Transaction Report?  

That would give you ANY time frame you designate and list EVERY investment transaction to compare to your monthly statement.

Also, when I get a monthly or quarterly statement, I always check the share balance of each holding to make sure it is correct...and that the amount of each holding is "in the ballpark" so to speak.  Since share prices change, I'm not too worried about if I'm a few dollars off...just so long as it isn't completely out of whack.

After all, if you're just looking for discrepancies, I'm really just concerned that I have the correct number of shares of any holding.  
This discussion has been closed.