Categorized Budget Item not Showing Up in Reports/Quicken 2017 Mac

My mortgage payments are not showing up in the budget reports even though they are properly categorized. They also do not show up in the transaction screen when I search for them in my checking account. But if I do a search for the amount, I can find them. 
So none of my budget reports are accurate because this is a large monthly expense not showing up.

I’m wondering if it is at all an issue because I do have my mortgage listed as an account that can be updated because I want to have current net worth information. Those transaction are categorized as transfers from my checking account.

Comments

• John_in_NCJohn_in_NC SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    As for your mortgage not showing up in your budget, if you have this setup as a transfer transaction (which it sounds like you do because you mentioned having your mortgage setup as an account), then it will not show up in your budget. Transfer transactions are cashflows, not spending or income. This is why the budget doesn't pick them up.

As for why you cannot find them, I cannot say without being there to see how you are searching.
  • mcollie64mcollie64 Member
    edited March 2017
    Thanks for the insight. I didn’t think I had them set up as a transfer. I have the categorized as the budget item. Maybe I did something else somewhere else that I don’t remember.

1. Could I delete the transaction in question and manually enter them to fix the error? I’ve only been using quicken since January, so it’s 3 transaction.
    2. If I don’t run the updates online with the bank, could I fix the issue going forward? I use my bank’s bill pay to pay my bills. I would just lose the net worth reporting via quicken.

3. As for the search. If I scroll through my checking account transactions, I can’t see the mortgage payments. I can type in the search bar the dollar amount of the payment and find them there.
  • John_in_NCJohn_in_NC SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    mcollie64 said:

Thanks for the insight. I didn’t think I had them set up as a transfer. I have the categorized as the budget item. Maybe I did something else somewhere else that I don’t remember.

1. Could I delete the transaction in question and manually enter them to fix the error? I’ve only been using quicken since January, so it’s 3 transaction.
    2. If I don’t run the updates online with the bank, could I fix the issue going forward? I use my bank’s bill pay to pay my bills. I would just lose the net worth reporting via quicken.

3. As for the search. If I scroll through my checking account transactions, I can’t see the mortgage payments. I can type in the search bar the dollar amount of the payment and find them there.

Let's clarify things: I mean transfer as in anytime you move funds from one account to another such as paying paying a Credit Card bill from your checking account. The cash $ outflow from the checking account=the cash inflow in the CC account, so net balance of the two transactions=$0. This is why transfers don't show up in budgets-you are moving money from one pocket to another.

Now, when I mean setting a transaction up as a "Transfer" in Quicken, it is the same concept as above, but it allows you to enter the transaction in one account, and the equal & opposite transaction automatically gets entered into the destination account. Whether you actually you used the Transfer feature in Quicken or have manually entered (or downloaded) identical transactions into each individual account doesn't really matter. The more important question is do you actually have a mortgage account (likely liability) setup which shows the mortgage payment received?

You mention using your Bank's bill pay service, so I get the feeling you are downloading anything. But a little clarification about you setup (accounts) might help. I don't which "error" you are trying to fix in wanting to delete and reenter the trasnx. 

Searching should be relatively straightforward. Assuming you find it via the amount, the transaction is visible. I don't know what other search criteria you are using, but it has to be part of a visible column. It might help if you show what you are searching for and what should be found. A screenshot (redacted to only show what you care to share) attached here would certainly help.
  • mistertheplaguemistertheplague Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    @John in NC and the OP: I use the following workaround to deal with this situation in QM17 to accurately budget and report loan payments. I learned it courtesy of QM user Snoopy FC. Here's Snoopy's description of the workaround:

"I don't have any issues with the budget or reports with the following setup.  I have one scheduled payment for the mortgage payment in my bank account.  That payment is split to account for the payment on the mortgage, interest, real estate taxes, insurance, additional principal payment, etc.  This transaction is budgeted and reported. The other scheduled payment is for the transaction in the mortgage balance account (principal reduction).  This uncategorized transaction is not "budgeted or reported."  This way there's no double accounting."

(Note: Both scheduled transactions have to be manually modified every month when they come in. In your budget and in reports, make sure "Uncategorized" is deselected in the customization window)

https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/loan-amortization-isnt-supported-in-q-2017-for-m...
This discussion has been closed.