Will deleting old transactions in an investment account cause any changes or issues with other accou

Fairfax51
Fairfax51 Member ✭✭
edited October 2018 in Investing (Windows)
Are there any issues with deleting old transactions in an account where I track employee stock options? I am receiving "the resulting value is too large" errors in this account and it may well be tied to old transactions that are no longer needed. Will deleting these old transactions cause any changes or issues with other accounts? Currently using Quicken 2014, but will be upgrading to 2017 version on a newer PC and would like to clean this up prior to that.

Comments

• mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    I would not be deleting investment transactions.

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Fairfax51
    Fairfax51 Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    That has been my feeling as well. However, it appears likely to me that the transaction(s) that are now causing the "value too big" error are more than 10 years old. Guess I could backup the current file and try it to see what happens.
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Fairfax51 said:

That has been my feeling as well. However, it appears likely to me that the transaction(s) that are now causing the "value too big" error are more than 10 years old. Guess I could backup the current file and try it to see what happens.

Try just copying your data file to another file and see if that helps.  FILE, File Operations, Copy ... and leave all of the default settings alone.

Also, you can try Validating that copy. FILE, File Operations, Validate and Repair ... being SURE to check "Validate File" and "Rebuild Investing Lots" before you click OK.

Lastly, what's the exact error message that you're getting, and when are you getting it?

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited March 2017
    Or you could create a NEW investment account and just transfer the shares from one account to the new account.  Then you can mark the old account as "hidden".

I wouldn't mark it as closed however.  Also, make sure you deactivate the old account from any downloads.  
  • Fairfax51
    Fairfax51 Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Fairfax51 said:

Thanks for the feedback.

In my stock options account, I have several years of fully vested options on a single stock. Those option "grant" transactions were entered each year when I actually received the options. Each option vested over 3 years and there has been no problem with Quicken recording those vesting dates all along. Everything looks fine in the account.

When I now enter an exercise/buy, same day sale transaction for 100 shares, it records parts of the transaction in the register, but then shows "The resulting value is to too big...." error and doesn't complete the entries.

I have tried copying to a new file a while back, but it didn't seem to help. I will try once again and follow your specific instructions.

I had no issues with this over the first many years of the options - only in the last 1-2 years.
  • Fairfax51
    Fairfax51 Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    That's an interesting suggestion - thanks. However, there are no shares in the account - only the option grants. It is when I try to record an option exercise transaction that the error occurs.

It might be worth a try to just re-enter the remaining option grants into a new account, though, assuming it would allow entry of the grant transactions going back up to 10 years.

No downloads involved with this account.
This discussion has been closed.