QWin 2017: Express Web connection is failing for many of my financial institutions.

I am using Quicken 2017 Premier Version R4, Build 26.1.4.5 on Windows 10.  Mondo patch has been applied and I have spent another 6 recent hours with Quicken support diagnosing the problem without resolution. I continue to get the cc-501 error and related messages like "it is not your fault" when attempting to reestablish a connection. 

I have several financial institutions, some with multiple accounts (checking, savings, CD;s, etc.) . Many institutions use Direct connect while a few others use Express Web connect (EWC).

EVERY institution using EWC is failing. EVERY institution using Direct Connect downloads and updates successfully.  

With help from Quicken we have determined my data files are not damaged or corrupt and have ruled out all other client side possibilities.  Quicken now points to my financial institutions to resolve the problem and it is up to me to work with my institutions to resolve it.  Quicken will not assist according to the techs I have dealt with.  

I have reached out to my primary credit union who uses EWC. They report they have other customers complaining of the same issue and have diagnosed their end and have escalated the matter to Quicken several times.  They are certain the failure point is at Quicken.  Following is the last response I received from my CU:

"I apologize that you are having to manually enter in the transactions. I know that quicken is saying that it is on our side, but we have looked into this issue multiple times and the error message that is being received, we researched it and it is an error on their end. We have contacted them multiple times about this issue and looking to get it resolved. We have been told that they are looking in to it."

My question and point is, WHY IS QUICKEN NOT RESOLVING THIS ISSUE?  The error codes you provide indicate it is a server side error! You even "apologize" saying it is not my fault this is failing.  

I had this problem in Quicken 2015 beginning the fall of 2016 and spent countless hours attempting to resolve it.  I finally upgraded to Q 2017 hoping it would not have the problem but it does!  

Help us Quicken, we need your help NOW.  If not I will move on after successfully using your products for 25 years.

Comments

• NotACPANotACPA SuperUser
    edited October 2018
    For what bank/etc are you using EWC?  And, a customary reason for any EWC to fail is that the bank/etc changed their website without giving Q sufficient notice to enable Q to change the scripts that "scrape" the site for your data.

So, in that case, the bank/etc would of course claim that 'everything's fine on their side' when in reality it's their failure to provide timely notice that's the real problem ... and you just need to wait it out until THAT fix bubbles up to the top ... after those banks/etc that DID provide timely notice.
    Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor"
  • edited October 2018
    Yes, I am having the same problem.  This is very frustrating.  I have used quicken for many years but am going to have to go to something else if this is not resolved.  
    edited March 2017

Yes, I am having the same problem.  This is very frustrating.  I have used quicken for many years but am going to have to go to something else if this is not resolved.  

Your issue can't possibly be resolved with the info that you've provided.  There's simply no info to work with.

SO, please start your own new question and provide all of the Q product info that Roger provided AND all of the info that I requested of Roger.
  • UKRUKR SuperUser
    edited September 2018

In case of CC-501,
    502, 506 errors deactivate all accounts
    with this bank using the same bank logon ID
    , including any old, long closed, hidden and forgotten accounts
    that might still be activated. If you miss one, the Quicken server involved in
    handling Express Web Connect - connected accounts will not start with a clean
    slate and you will continue to have this problem.

To deactivate an Account

Go to Tools >
    Account List. 

Click Edit for
    account you need to change.

Click Online
    Services tab.

If account has been activated for Online Bill Payment, deactivate this service
    first.

Click Deactivate
    button in Online Setup box.

Repeat for any other
    accounts that need to be deactivated.

Restart Quicken to
    make sure that the changes are fully applied.

To (re-)activate accounts for downloading

Create a backup of
    your Quicken data file. This is a restore point, should something go horribly
    wrong during the next steps.

Go to Tools / Add Account to reactivate the accounts. As you go thru the setup
    process, Quicken will identify all accounts it can download.

Select an account type, e.g. Checking

Enter the name of your bank and click Next. 
    Some banks have multiple choices, Consumer vs. Business accounts,
    Express Web Connect vs. Direct Connect. Be sure to pick the correct
    one.

Enter your credentials, select Save this password (if using password vault) and
    click Connect.

You should now see a
    list of one or more accounts found at your bank that you can activate. If you
    are activating an existing account, make sure the dropdown button for that
    account says LINK. If it says ADD, change it to LINK and select the correct
    Quicken account.  If it already says
    LINK, click the button and select the correct existing account register. If you
    do not do this, then the account will be added as a new account instead of
    being linked to the existing account register.

Repeat this step for
    each account listed.

Change ADD to IGNORE for any account on the list that you do not want to
    activate at this time.

Click Next to
    continue.

• DLLDLL Member
    edited March 2017
    Same problem here.  It has been a week and I'm still getting the error message that my bank password isn't correct.  This has happened to me twice before too, just like the poster above stated.  Come on Quicken!!  I even tried to deactivate and reactivate and it still tells me my bank password is incorrect.  Pathetic.
  • rlpiniarlpinia Member
    edited March 2017

For what bank/etc are you using EWC?  And, a customary reason for any EWC to fail is that the bank/etc changed their website without giving Q sufficient notice to enable Q to change the scripts that "scrape" the site for your data.

So, in that case, the bank/etc would of course claim that 'everything's fine on their side' when in reality it's their failure to provide timely notice that's the real problem ... and you just need to wait it out until THAT fix bubbles up to the top ... after those banks/etc that DID provide timely notice.

Thank you NotACPA.  I am with Veridian Credit Union, the largest in the state and a longtime leader in online banking.  They sent the following to me last week.

"Direct connect has not been offered since before 2012 and it will not be offered in the future. The issues that other users are having were caused quicken server errors and we did contact quicken during those times to make them aware."

According to Veridian they have contacted Quicken multiple times on this issue but have not seen resolution.  This issue for me began in mid to late 2016 in Quicken 2015 so there seems to be a 4 year gap to the suggestion Veridian did not give timely notice to Quicken. I've been successfully downloading transactions weekly for many years.  

Something has changed at or with Quicken to now cause the failures which are identified within Quicken 2017 as being server errors.  Quicken needs to step up their support game and get this fixed.

The last phone support call I was in, the tech suggested I should take out Premier support for mere pennies a day.  My response was why would I pay for more support when they are not providing it on a widely know problem in their infrastructure. There are dozens of posts on this so it is a known unresolved problem.  I've yet to see a single response from the Quicken support team.

Thanks for weighing in and for your suggestion.     
  • rlpiniarlpinia Member
    edited March 2017
    UKR said:

In case of CC-501,
    502, 506 errors deactivate all accounts
    with this bank using the same bank logon ID
    , including any old, long closed, hidden and forgotten accounts
    that might still be activated. If you miss one, the Quicken server involved in
    handling Express Web Connect - connected accounts will not start with a clean
    slate and you will continue to have this problem.

To deactivate an Account

Go to Tools >
    Account List. 

Click Edit for
    account you need to change.

Click Online
    Services tab.

If account has been activated for Online Bill Payment, deactivate this service
    first.

Click Deactivate
    button in Online Setup box.

Repeat for any other
    accounts that need to be deactivated.

Restart Quicken to
    make sure that the changes are fully applied.

To (re-)activate accounts for downloading

Create a backup of
    your Quicken data file. This is a restore point, should something go horribly
    wrong during the next steps.

Go to Tools / Add Account to reactivate the accounts. As you go thru the setup
    process, Quicken will identify all accounts it can download.

Select an account type, e.g. Checking

Enter the name of your bank and click Next. 
    Some banks have multiple choices, Consumer vs. Business accounts,
    Express Web Connect vs. Direct Connect. Be sure to pick the correct
    one.

Enter your credentials, select Save this password (if using password vault) and
    click Connect.

You should now see a
    list of one or more accounts found at your bank that you can activate. If you
    are activating an existing account, make sure the dropdown button for that
    account says LINK. If it says ADD, change it to LINK and select the correct
    Quicken account.  If it already says
    LINK, click the button and select the correct existing account register. If you
    do not do this, then the account will be added as a new account instead of
    being linked to the existing account register.

Repeat this step for
    each account listed.

Change ADD to IGNORE for any account on the list that you do not want to
    activate at this time.

Click Next to
    continue.

Thank you UKR.  I have taken these steps multiple (too many) times in attempt to clear things out.  

I have setup new data files and tried it. I've setup new accounts and tried it.  Most recently I did took these steps again with the Quicken tech watching remotely. Unfortunately it is not resolving the issue.

The only way I can get transactions is manually downloading each account and importing using .QFX files. Then it tells me there is a better connection then it fails again.  imageimage

Quicken seems to be off line on this issue as they do not seem to ever respond. Thanks for your suggestion.
  • splashersplasher SuperUser
    edited March 2017

@Roger

Premium support only gets you to a shorter line for support, the experts are still the same group of folks, so you are not getting "better/premium", just quicker to asnser the call.
    -splasher  using Q since 1996 -  QW2016, 2017 & Subscription  -  Win7/Win10
    -Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list

• DLLDLL Member
    edited September 2017
    Called my bank, and they have done nothing on their end to create this problem with error messages on the bank password.  Quicken did something, and I can't get any transactions to download and haven't been able to for about two weeks now.  Can anyone help?  If not, do you know who I can call?  I've looked all over for a customer service number and can't find one.  If I can't get this going, I'm going to have to kill my Quicken and pick up another service that will do the same thing.  This is ridiculous....not the first time I've had trouble with this either. 
  • rlpiniarlpinia Member
    edited March 2017
    DLL said:

Called my bank, and they have done nothing on their end to create this problem with error messages on the bank password.  Quicken did something, and I can't get any transactions to download and haven't been able to for about two weeks now.  Can anyone help?  If not, do you know who I can call?  I've looked all over for a customer service number and can't find one.  If I can't get this going, I'm going to have to kill my Quicken and pick up another service that will do the same thing.  This is ridiculous....not the first time I've had trouble with this either. 

Go to this page and scroll down to get a chat session or phone number. They sort of make it less than obvious.  https://www.quicken.com/support#windows

I'm curious DLL if you have any institutions that use Direct Connect.  You quickly see them by going to Tools -> Account List and scroll through your accounts by looking at the Transaction Download (?) column of information. It will indicate Yes or No and the type of connection.
    edited March 2017

I see no indication that Q thinks that Veridian supports Direct Connect.  The following is from the FIDIR.TXT file that records info about banks/cards/etc that support Q.

54630    54630    54630    Veridian Credit Union    https://www.veridiancu.org    319-236-5600    https://www.veridiancu.org    ACTIVE         BANKING,CREDIT&WEB-CONNECT         BANKING,CREDIT,ACCOUNTINFO&EXP-WEB-CONNECT    NOT_QBP    NA

Have you tried to refresh the branding on your Q?

Refresh Branding and Profile:

Choose the Tools menu > Online Center.

Hold down CTRL+SHIFT on your keyboard and click Contact Info (at the top of the window) with your mouse.

In the dialog box that is displayed, select the problem account from the drop down menu.

With the account selected, check  the box for Financial Institution Branding and Profile and click on the Refreshbutton.

Repeat steps 2-4 for each account that is having problems.

Click the Update/Send button at the top of the Online Center to complete the connection.

Once you have completed the above, de-activate and re-activate the account following the steps below. 

Go to Tools> Account List, click Edit for account you need to change. Click Online Services
    tab, Deactivate. Then use set up online services to reactivate. As you
    go through the login process, you will be asked to Add/Link/Ignore the
    existing account(s) found. Choose LINK (NOT Add) and carefully match the account found during the login process to your Quicken account.
  • DLLDLL Member
    edited March 2017
    DLL said:

Hi Roger!  I did what you said.  All of my accounts in my bank say "Express Web Connect" for transaction downloads. 
  • rlpiniarlpinia Member
    edited March 2017

Thanks NotACPA.  To clarify, Veridian does NOT and has not supported Direct Connect for several years.  They are EWC and Web Connect.  I have taken each of the steps in your suggestion from yesterday multiple times to include going thru them with the Q tech in the past 2 weeks.  

I have other accounts such as Target, Kohls, JCP, etc that use EWC.  Every EWC connection I have fails.  It is not just Veridian.  I have many accounts that use Direct Connect none of which fail. 

So I still maintain something is not working across all Express Web connections. I just tried reconnecting each of the EWC accounts and they continue to fail.  Directs work.

Quicken is still not weighing in on this which is a major disappointment. They could at least check in to say they will investigate the examples I show here and they experienced first hand during my support call after exhaustive process of elimination and diagnostics. 

Thanks
  • rlpiniarlpinia Member
    edited March 2017
    DLL said:

Figures.  Sorry though!  I wish Quicken would get off the dime and do something about it.  If it were just one or two failing I would suspect a client or institution issue but like me it's all of your Express Web Connect accounts.  Quicken needs to get it fixed or declare they no longer support EWC. 
  • rlpiniarlpinia Member
    edited October 2018
    I attempted to resolve this again by creating another new fresh quicken file.  No other accounts or transactions are contained in the new data file.  I added an account from Veridian CU.  I went through the gyrations of connecting and returned the following: 

It brought back the accounts but says they are unknown types.  The error says Quicken did not get enough information to add the account then suggests trying it again in a few days.  I'm running out of more days. 
  • DLLDLL Member
    edited March 2017
    rlpinia said:

I attempted to resolve this again by creating another new fresh quicken file.  No other accounts or transactions are contained in the new data file.  I added an account from Veridian CU.  I went through the gyrations of connecting and returned the following: 

It brought back the accounts but says they are unknown types.  The error says Quicken did not get enough information to add the account then suggests trying it again in a few days.  I'm running out of more days. 

Same....days are numbered here as well.  Here's the thing though....have you looked into any other programs like this one do to your banking with? 
    edited March 2017
    rlpinia said:

@Roger
    Slightly related, Greenshot is a free screenshot grabber that has great editing features such as being able to obfuscate (fuzz out) parts a lot easier than the squiggly line method that you had to do.
    Windows Snipping Tool is okay, but you can't do much editing with it.

• UKRUKR SuperUser
    edited March 2017
    rlpinia said:

If you haven't done
    so already, especially in case of the "Unknown Type",  I'd say it's time to contact Quicken Support via Chat or Phone
    at  http://www.quicken.com/contact-support  and report an Online Banking issue.

Scroll down to the blue box at the bottom of the Support webpage for access to
    Chat or Phone Support.

Please let us know if you were able to get it resolved through Support (or
    not).

• rlpiniarlpinia Member
    edited March 2017
    rlpinia said:

Thanks splasher for the tip.  Never heard of it before but will give it a shot. 
  • rlpiniarlpinia Member
    edited March 2017
    rlpinia said:

Thanks UKR!  I've been on a recent long chat followed by a very long phone call to Q support.  They have taken me thru every imaginable diagnositc and both concluded it is a EWC issue. They've seen the errors and results of attempting to connect.  

Problem is, they say it's NOT THEIR ISSUE.  They tell me I'm on my own to work with my financial institutions to resolve at that end.  Thus this thread asking for help.

Quicken is failing to resolve what I think is a wide spread issue based on all the posts I've read on this and feedback from my financial institution.  They should be willing to take the errors, logs and other indicators and work technical person to technical person with the institution but they refuse to do so.  

That is terrible support for a product I and many others have spent a lot $$ on over the years staying up with their releases. If you have other insight on how I can get them to respond, I am very open to suggestions. 
  • DLLDLL Member
    edited March 2017
    rlpinia said:

UKR, if you were Roger and I, I'm sure you'd be looking for a different computer program by now after all this hassle.  Do you have any suggestions? 
  • HersheyHershey Member
    edited March 2017
    rlpinia said:

There are other programs with strengths and weaknesses. Each has to make their own decision based on whatever evaluation they choose. I know where I am going if Quicken implements the subscription plan as they did in Canada.
  • rlpiniarlpinia Member
    edited March 2017
    rlpinia said:

Yes there are several but none really have the connections to the number of institutions and functionality.  I tried CountAbout but it like others are more limited that Quicken has been in the past.  You can search for "Quicken alternatives" and see what is out there.  
  • DLLDLL Member
    edited March 2017
    rlpinia said:

Do tell, Hershey!
  • HersheyHershey Member
    edited March 2017
    rlpinia said:

(1) no tell

(2) none as flexible as Q, maybe due to familiarity

(3) each of us has our own way of doing things, all programs out there don't accommodate some.

(4) some features more important to you than me, and visaversa

(5) I don't want to get kicked out

(6) if Q does, and my current license runs out, I will tell and why I made the choice. Right now I'm keeping two sets of books.
  • DLLDLL Member
    edited March 2017
    rlpinia said:

Fair enough Hershey....I did a little research myself this afternoon.  Think I found one to try and I'm just crossing my fingers that it works.  At this point, I need something.....nothing we do seems to resolve my problem nor Roger's problem, and I don't see that changing.  I can't wait around forever for Q to get their act together.  
    edited March 2017
    rlpinia said:

I know that you are having trouble with EWC, but how is changing to a different program going to help you with that? 

EWC is strictly Quicken, none of the replacement programs can get at that aggregated data.

I realize that Direct Connect and Web Connect can be handled by other programs, but EWC is by far the most used download method, probably about a 5 to 1 ratio versus Direct Connect.

If you are going to go manual with the other program to get your downloads, why not do it with Quicken?

Personally, I won't use EWC, if I can't Direct Connect, I go Web Connect or a QIF import, I will not have Quicken aggregate my data in the cloud.

• HersheyHershey Member
    edited March 2017
    rlpinia said:

I apologize if this gets long.

We are using Quicken currently. We want our data downloaded from our FIs. Using web express is never going to be fixed by Quicken. The FIs refuse to take it on. So we can choose to get our FI to interface via Direct Connect, or we can log into the FI site and initiate each account download from there. Each has its drawback. Quicken refuses to take an official stance. We choose one of the two mentioned or give up.

There are other programs. Some, like Mint, stores all your data on their servers. I don't like that. Others won't print checks. Some don't handle investment accounts. Some don't download. I am looking at MoneySpire. Not because of Quickens download problems. I am going to dump Quicken if they implement the subscription policy and lock our files read only if we stop renewing.
  • HersheyHershey Member
    edited March 2017
    rlpinia said:

DLL, Good luck finding one that works for you. It isn't easy, but Q the company is not addressing their customers issues.

Splasher, I appreciate you guys, the SuperUsers. I really do. I can work around the download issues. I have two issues with Quicken the company that are going to push me away after over 20 years. (1) They appear to not be addressing real problems with the code. They are introducing new features without resolving the old problems. And the new features bring their own problems with them. I believe their focus is on coming up with something new to offer to improve sales even if it doesn't work. And now I believe they are headed down a subscription path. My primary issue with the subscription path is if they follow the Canada experiment, they will make our file read only if we don't renew. Even if we don't renew because their software and customer support stinks. Where would the customer support be if it wasn't for you guys that volunteer your knowledge and time here.

Good luck to us all.
  • DLLDLL Member
    edited March 2017
    rlpinia said:

Hershey, you may be okay with it, but I'm not.  I'm not computer savvy like apparently you are and all the SuperUsers are.  I can't work around the download issues because I don't know how else to do it.  I tried CountAbout and within the first 5 minutes, of course my little rural bank isn't found on their list and they won't add a bank unless they have a certain number of users from there.  I tried MoneySpire, and every time I load one .qif file, it changes the balance of another account that I just loaded.  I'm stuck and I don't know what to do.  I appreciate everyone who has helped as well.  I just wish there was a better answer for a little person like me who doesn't have a lot of knowledge when it comes to this stuff.  I could navigate myself through Quicken fairly easily and came over to them from Microsoft Money.  The ease of the transactions downloading automatically was the pull for me.....now what?!!