Capital One download update asking for one time code

Comments

• sfinney55sfinney55 Member
    edited October 2018
    I have been working with Quicken support for about six weeks now on the problem of no transactions downloading from Cap One credit card.  As one post showed, I too get the odd dates in the transaction report after the One Step Update.  I have sent them log files and screen prints many times.  Have tried deactivating, reactivating, resets, etc but it still doesn't work.  Several times they have told me it should work now, but it doesn't.  Didn't have any problem getting a security code during setup.  Also, Update Bills has connected and gave me the balance of the last statement, so I am connecting somehow.  We even set up a "Test File" and a new Cap One CC account in the file.  Funny thing is it did download transactions.  So the last email I received from them was a request to set up a call next week so we could discuss work arounds.  Well, if the work around is manually downloading transactions and importing, I have already done that.  With all the discussion here and other people reporting problems, you would think they would just issue a statement that they are aware of a problem and working with Cap One to resolve.  
  • splashersplasher SuperUser
    edited March 2017
    sfinney55 said:

I have been working with Quicken support for about six weeks now on the problem of no transactions downloading from Cap One credit card.  As one post showed, I too get the odd dates in the transaction report after the One Step Update.  I have sent them log files and screen prints many times.  Have tried deactivating, reactivating, resets, etc but it still doesn't work.  Several times they have told me it should work now, but it doesn't.  Didn't have any problem getting a security code during setup.  Also, Update Bills has connected and gave me the balance of the last statement, so I am connecting somehow.  We even set up a "Test File" and a new Cap One CC account in the file.  Funny thing is it did download transactions.  So the last email I received from them was a request to set up a call next week so we could discuss work arounds.  Well, if the work around is manually downloading transactions and importing, I have already done that.  With all the discussion here and other people reporting problems, you would think they would just issue a statement that they are aware of a problem and working with Cap One to resolve.  

I think you would find it a lot easier to just go to the CapOne website and download the Web Connect .QFX file and import it.  I do it this way and it works every time.
    -splasher  using Q since 1996 -  QW2016, 2017 & Subscription  -  Win7/Win10
    -Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list

• edited March 2017
    sfinney55 said:

I 100% agree. It seems clear to me that the interests of bank security and the use of Web Connect are at odds and this Capital One problem is only the beginning of what is to come. Banks, because they often charge their customers a per month fee IF they support Direct Connect at all, have no interest in Direct Connect because it takes them out of the customer relationship. Banks want customers on their own websites and in their own apps.

I used this problem to shift my workflow completely to downloading from the bank's website. Also switched to Moneydance in the process. Don't regret either decision yet.

• splashersplasher SuperUser
    edited March 2017
    sfinney55 said:

@Jeff Carpenter  I think you left the word "Express" out, Web Connect is you downloading from the FI's website, Express Web Connect is where this problem is.
    -splasher  using Q since 1996 -  QW2016, 2017 & Subscription  -  Win7/Win10
    -Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list

• edited March 2017
    sfinney55 said:

Yes, my mistake. You're right.
  • LSV LanceLSV Lance Member
    edited March 2017
    Brad said:

For those of you who are not receiving the code, updating the "Financial Institution Branding and Profile" may help.  How? go to Tools > Online Center > hold Ctrl+Shift and click on Contact Info at the top > select the "Financial Institution Branding and Profile" > Select your Cap One Account > Refresh > Update & Send.  Quit Quicken and launch again.  This approach worked for me where I now receive the code every time.  Your mileage may vary.  Good luck.

I have been having this issue with my two C1 cards and 2 Quicken 2016 files for over a month as well, and have spent hours on the phone with both C1 and Quicken tech support.  Occasionally I can get a download to work, either with one file or the other...but never both on the same day.  I have resorted to manually entering transactions on all C1 accounts in both Quicken files I manage.  How 1990s...  It sucks because I like Quicken and and love my C1 cards...I just wish they would learn how to play nice with one another and soon.    
  • CC Member
    edited March 2017
    sfinney55 said:

Jeff, I'm curious how MoneyDance is working for you. I tried MoneyWiz, and it was a disaster: couldn't handle my large file import from Quicken. I've just started playing with MoneyDance... and just figured out it requires manual downloads from Cap1. Sigh. I'm not excited about doing that for 4 Cap1 accounts.
  • edited March 2017
    sfinney55 said:

Moneydance has been good. I've got something like 30+ accounts of every account type and not found any show stoppers yet in my first month. I'd say the most significant difference on the positive side is that it is extremely fast and quick to move around. I'm using it on a high-end Surface Pro 4 and Quicken was a ridiculous dog on that machine. Mostly graphically in switching between registers and screens. Lag was horrible. There's none of that in Moneydance. It's very smooth. Now, on the negative side it's nowhere near as visually appealing as Quicken. But the basic, streamlined UI is growing on me.

One thing to note is that I did not attempt to convert my Quicken file. I started fresh and started every account from its last reconciled balance. I did do a lot of individual account exporting and importing in order to capture those transactions that were after the most recent reconciled balance. I encountered no problems doing this.

I've found transaction matching to be very good and like the "redate" feature that adopts the banks date for the transaction to replace my entered date. I miss the speed of online banking (when it works!) but am beginning to like the control that I feel when downloading the files myself.

All of the fancy gimmicks in Quicken are gone of course like the whole loan UI, the Zillion integration, online bills, tax planner, retirement calculators, etc. I found a lot of those calculation tools to be bug ridden anyway.

There are some interesting extensions that 3rd parties write for Moneydance. Wasn't expecting that. What I've gained is trust in the data. Quicken's fancy bills function created data corruption in my file which caused my cash flow projection to change by $5000+ depending on running Validate or not. I've had no reason not to trust the data in Moneydance so far.

Most importantly as I've said before I feel like Moneydance deserves my money. Support has been responsive in the forums.

I'm glad to answer any specific questions you have.
  • CharlesCharles Member
    edited April 2018
    One more to add to the list.  I am having the same issue as first described.  I am hoping this gets corrected without me having to do anything as I don't want to go through the duplicate transaction correction issue.  Come on Quicken.  Get up off you duff and fix this and other recent connection related issues .
  • CC Member
    edited March 2017
    sfinney55 said:

Thanks for the commentary Jeff!
    I'll say my import to MoneyDance was arduous. Transfers between the accounts were all messed up.  Lots of duplicate transfers for some reason. I was able to delete them all in a couple hours, but even then the balances were't quite right. 
    But I don't think I'm willing to do manual imports of the files downloaded from every bank website, as MoneyDance requires. At least, not until quicken completely fails on me.
  • edited March 2017
    sfinney55 said:

Just to be clear, Moneydance doesn't require you to do manual Imports. It has online banking functionality with many banks. Capital One credit cards just doesn't happen to be one of them.
  • edited March 2017
    Using Quicken 2016 Home and Business

March 4, 2017 : Having gone through the cycle of getting the login email and code from the Cap One System and deactivating and then activating the Account in Quicken I managed to get a one time download of old transactions which I had to rematch manually. A pain but I thought I am good. But apparently not.....

March 25, 2017: QDATA File corrupt. Yuck. Restoring from backup. But now have to redo all the Cap One connection, login, code and setup from March 4. So I did it knowing what I was up against, since I did this once before. This time a different response Error from Quicken. Account not recognized and can not connect to Cap One at all. Perhaps someone is working on this from Cap One? Its impossible from to enter transactions manually having missed so many now. 
  • Ted BTed B Member
    edited March 2017
    sfinney55 said:

Since Cap1 is the only problem I'm having I suspect it's more their fault than Quicken. If everybody told Cap1 to fix it or goodbye maybe that would motivate them.
    Since I only have 1 Cap1 account and just a few transactions each week which Moneydance wouldn't download anyway,and who's to say they wouldn't encounter the same problems, I'll just deal with it until it's fixed rather than spend any more time on it.
  • edited March 2017
    sfinney55 said:

There are other examples in the marketplace that you can look to that are not having problems. Personal Capital is one. Prism is another. Both of those are working fine with Capital One right now. They both had a login error which required a refresh procedure within the app and once that refresh procedure was executed, it's worked fine.
  • Ted BTed B Member
    edited March 2017
    sfinney55 said:

Many of you have received in Quicken a screen about a pop up or new web page and asking you to log in to Cap1 etc. I just got this after logging in and clicking on update took me to 404 error page. I think it's obvious that Cap 1 is the cause of all this turmoil. However after I did this my download worked from Quicken so maybe it's fixed.image
  • Joel AlbertJoel Albert Member
    edited March 2017
    All,

Well it looks like I am the same boat as everyone else -- nothing I have done has seemed to help, sigh. A big thanks to all who have been leading the fight and working the support issue. I sure hope it gets resolved.

Until then -- I am switching my spending to another card.

Joel
  • edited March 2017
    I have also stopped using the card. I am utterly disappointed with both Quicken and Capitol One. This is BS that they can get this resolved. Next on the chopping block will be Quicken if they don't start improving their customer service.
  • peruzzmaperuzzma Member
    edited March 2017
    It is time to stop using Quicken and Capital One.  
  • J DobonskiJ Dobonski Member
    edited April 2017
    I have given up all of the hoop jumping that does nothing in the end but wasting time. The only thing dropping Cap1 will do is drop my credit score. The only thing dropping Quicken will do is save me money from their forced every three year buy another one business model. And, from what I am hearing it will be an every year renewal soon.  I figure if I have to download transactions manually anyway I will just use the sunset version of Microsoft Money. It is free and works fine. I don't have anything other than checking and credit card accounts anyway.
  • Joel AlbertJoel Albert Member
    edited March 2017
    For me it's easy, Quicken is too important to my financial life. I can always get a different Cc. The impact on my credit score is negligible .
  • datdaddydatdaddy Member
    edited March 2017
    sfinney55 said:

Just got an update downloaded and installed on Q 2017 Deluxe today.  Seems to be working fine so far. No popups, no requests for emailing codes, etc.
  • edited March 2017
    sfinney55 said:

That seems to solve the question of whose responsibility this was to fix.
  • datdaddydatdaddy Member
    edited March 2017
    sfinney55 said:

I just hope it has actually done it for the long term.
  • Ted BTed B Member
    edited March 2017
    sfinney55 said:

Placing a useless pop up screen with a phony sales pitch in the way of logging in...I'd say C1 is the culprit here. I guess quicken could have responded sooner but anyway, it works ok now. No drastic action for me.
  • CharlotteCharlotte Member
    edited March 2017
    sfinney55 said:

I downloaded the new update and it still doesn't work for me....
  • Ted BTed B Member
    edited March 2017
    sfinney55 said:

Charlotte
    See my post 3 days ago about pop up....
  • edited March 2017
    Still not working after update.
  • CharlotteCharlotte Member
    edited March 2017
    Supposedly there was an update today that looks like it resolved the issue for some people (?) but I too am still unable to download any transactions from C1.  I'm curious to know who still has issues and who is now able to get it to work.
  • edited March 2017

I have given up all of the hoop jumping that does nothing in the end but wasting time. The only thing dropping Cap1 will do is drop my credit score. The only thing dropping Quicken will do is save me money from their forced every three year buy another one business model. And, from what I am hearing it will be an every year renewal soon.  I figure if I have to download transactions manually anyway I will just use the sunset version of Microsoft Money. It is free and works fine. I don't have anything other than checking and credit card accounts anyway.

I, for one, would welcome a yearly subscription...provided it is just for internet data access (and, dare I wish: for CSV import/export functionality...), and providing I can continue using whatever version of Quicken I want.

HIG Capital isn't Intuit, so I don't want to tar them with the same brush that Intuit deserves. I want Quicken, as a product, to succeed, and HIG needs to have a way of generating revenue in order to stay alive. Intuit's method of doing this was to rush out buggy versions of Quicken every year, and then forcing loyal customers to purchase it every 3 years. So, right about the time all the bugs got ironed out in one version, the customers were rewarded by having to buy a new version and act as unpaid bug testers on that for the next 3 years. I would be happy if HIG would move to a model of:
    1. Only releasing new versions of Quicken when it is READY and only when it offers improvements (not just pastel color themes, and rounded dialog boxes)
    2. Retasking the software engineers, who would otherwise have been rushing out yearly releases, to fix the bugs in the current stable release and keep them fixed. Initial evidence isn't encouraging, however, as my other problem (downloaded transactions not showing up) appears to keep on getting closed or marked as 'solved' even though it is not.
    3. Charging a yearly data subscription fee...hopefully at a reasonable price...that wouldn't require buying a new version of the actual Quicken program.
    Naïve?

Probably.
  • JohnJohn Member
    edited March 2017

... the annual subscription should include the "right" to upgrade to the latest version. when released.