QWin 2017: Express Web connection is failing for many of my financial institutions.

Comments

• feobrienfeobrien Member
    edited January 11
    Roger, I had a similar experience when this first started failing.  I would get that added request to enter a code displayed (ensuring I wasn't a computer), but that failed. I don't know what's going on. After the various posts here, I've gone back to my FI.
  • NotACPANotACPA SuperUser
    edited March 2017
    feobrien said:

I am having a similar problem with the Garden Savings Federal Credit Union. Suddenly it no longer works. I deactivated the accounts, I've tried to create new ones - it always claims my login credentials are wrong.

"When Quicken goes subscription next year and they announce that they
    will freeze your data if your subscription lapses and if the price is
    not what I want to pay, I'll just move on."

I'm currently running Q US 2017.  If Q goes to the subscription model for 2018, I'll stick with Q2017 for 3 years ... until 2020 when I'll no longer be able to download into Q.

THEN, I'll start looking for a replacement.  3 years should give competitors lots of time to catch up on Q's abilities.
    Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor"
  • gmalis1gmalis1 Member
    edited March 2017
    feobrien said:

I am having a similar problem with the Garden Savings Federal Credit Union. Suddenly it no longer works. I deactivated the accounts, I've tried to create new ones - it always claims my login credentials are wrong.

Thank you...that's is what I intended to say.  When my "three year download subscription" reaches end of life, at that point I will make a decision on where to go.
  • markus1957markus1957 SuperUser
    edited March 2017
    feobrien said:

Roger, I had a similar experience when this first started failing.  I would get that added request to enter a code displayed (ensuring I wasn't a computer), but that failed. I don't know what's going on. After the various posts here, I've gone back to my FI.

Next time you get that type of security prompt screen error, try using the gear icon with Update Now from the problem account register. If those added security prompts are ever going to work in Quicken, it will be with the gear icon because you are getting a real-time call to the actual FI server and not just going through the Quicken EWC server. I'm not saying it will always work, only that using the gear icon method provides the highest probability of success.
    edited March 2017
    feobrien said:

Thanks Marcus - willing to try anything!
  • rlpiniarlpinia Member
    edited March 2017
    feobrien said:

I give up! The 2 step authentication is not new to my CU and for months/years I could use One Step every week without issue even though the user experience for online banking was multiple step.  I try the gear icon and get the same fricking results every single time.  It is not a security prompt screen error.  It is the same cc-501 error, it's not your fault, it's a server error BS.  

Something changed and no one wants to admit it. None of my EW connections work - period!
  • DLLDLL Member
    edited March 2017
    feobrien said:

Roger, you and I are in the same boat.  I, too, tried the gear icon and got nowhere.  This Quicken issue has been a nightmare and sadly, nothing is being done on their end to fix it.  It isn't coincidental that we are all having this problem.  I expect more from them and we aren't getting it. 
    edited March 2017
    feobrien said:

Actions Windows Desktop Users Can Take to Remedy Connection Errors and Password Change Issues

Roger, If ALL EWC connections fail that really points to a setup issue in your machine. I'm using Q17 with Win 10 and get 2 EWC accounts (Kohls & PayPal) just fine every day. I tested BMO Harris the other day on another machine and it also worked.

If the Step 5, Add Account process in the link does not work, you really need to look at the connection related steps in 6 and higher. Proxy server?, firewall settings? Something in the setup is killing or failing to make the connection with the EWC server. There are always issues with individual EWC FI's but when ALL are involved, it is most ALWAYS a machine setup issue unless it is a system wide EWC outage or 3rd party throttling of aggregator connections. It's not a system wide EWC outage.

One final sledge hammer approach is to deactivate every EWC account in your data file, including any hidden accounts. Go to Online Center, hold Ctrl + Shift keys while clicking Update/Send. Click reset CC Credentials and proceed with update. This will delete your EWC profile in your data file and on the server. Then close/open Quicken and re-establish your EWC accounts using Step 5. If that does not work, given that we have Kohl's in common as an EWC FI and Kohls works in my file, the issue must lie in your machine setup.

Adding- if you create a new data file from scratch and just add Kohls, if it does not work, you can also be pretty much assured that it is a setup issue with your machine without going thru the brute force process above.
    edited March 2017
    feobrien said:

I am having similar problems. The sledge hammer approach sounds scary.  In my case the EWC is working with some FI and not others. I fear that in creating everything from scratch I might lose the working functionality that I have.
    edited March 2017
    feobrien said:

Gave it a try. Same problem :(
  • rlpiniarlpinia Member
    edited March 2017
    feobrien said:

Markus I was down to the same conclusion a couple weeks ago.  That's when I called my ISP with the specifics to see if there was something in their environment that changed or could be blocking me.  They could find no change or identify any setting that would impact the downloads.  We checked my router firewall and there is nothing indicating a block and I had not changed settings.  I turned it off and it failed.  I've looked at my Norton and there is nothing blocking and no changes have been made. I have turned it off and it fails.  I have added my EWC accounts to my safe list and that does not make a difference. 

I attempted all of the same EWC connections from a Win10 laptop with the same data file that I know worked until mid-Feb but using my cellular hotspot link and it fails there too.  These steps were to eliminate things like firewalls, proxy, etc.

So I have 2 computers on the same network and on different networks that worked fine until mid-Feb.  I say "fine" if intermittent/periodic failures don't count.  

I go back to my original thought about Win10.  My issue goes back to when i first went to Win10.  I suspected Q2015 might not be compatible with 10 after my downloads began failing so I upgraded to 2017.  It worked okay for awhile be is now failing consistently.  

Thanks for the suggestions though
  • rlpiniarlpinia Member
    edited October 2017
    markus1957, I think you get 5 out of 3 stars today!  I went through your sledge hammer suggestion and was immediately able to add my Kohl's account connected via EWC.  I've successfully added a couple others and am going thru my Veridian accounts now.  All but a credit card have been successfully added.  That specific account still gets the "no information" error but the others are now connected.  

Now, I wonder why Q does not have that in their knowledge base for techs to go to early in the troubleshooting.  They spent close to 8 hours total in chat and phone support sessions going through everything else except clearing out the accounts.  

If you have connections at Q, please ask them to get that out to people.  It makes sense to clear it out but who knew those keystrokes to accomplish it.  

If this holds, I'll give you another star on Tuesday markus1957. Thank you!!
    edited September 2017
    I just had a very good phone conversation with Quicken support (Chris). We went through basically all of the suggestions here and then some. I have uploaded to Quicken several files. My issue (and hopefully the solution for others) is being escalated.  They said this might take a day or two. Fingers crossed.
    edited March 2017
    feobrien said:

I just had a very good phone conversation with Quicken support (Chris). We went through basically all of the suggestions here and then some. I have uploaded to Quicken several files. My issue (and hopefully the solution for others) is being escalated.  They said this might take a day or two. Fingers crossed.

Here's the latest - Sounds like they have an issue that needs to be fixed

We receive the case that was escalated to our
    team, upon checking the log files associated with your case we found out that
    your issue will have to be submitted to our scripts team.

Please DO NOT REPLY to this email as we escalate your issue to our engineering
    team. We might lose you in the process or queue of our Scripts team that may
    result in delayed response of updates from them. We will immediately notify you
    once we got feedback from our scripts team.

We appreciate your patience and cooperation towards this issue.

edited March 2017
    feobrien said:

Well I guess I have prematurely given Quicken too much credit. The escalation resulted in a response that this is a valid error. I should re-enter my credentials. REALLY? That's the problem!!! I enter the credentials REPEATEDLY (and CORRECTLY) and I get the error message. The person I talked even asked me the format of my password (number of letters, characters, numbers) to ensure there was nothing odd about it (even though it worked fine for months) before escalating this. So now I have to start over again, because Quicken THINKS they've solved this. Unbelievable!!!
  • rlpiniarlpinia Member
    edited March 2017
    feobrien said:

They didn't want my logs because they KNEW it was not their problem. No joke. 
    edited March 2017
    feobrien said:

Still going back and forth, spent an hour on the phone yesterday. Again, really nice guy on the phone, trying to help. He put me on hold a few times to call the escalation team to follow-up with them. Unfortunately I had to drop off while on hold the second time, hadn't planned on spending an hour. Later that night, I received an email they were working it, another saying it was CLOSED and asked me to do a survey (no kidding) and a third saying ignore the CLOSED email (really) it was an error in their system and they are working to resolve the issue. So the good news is they seem very serious about chasing it down. I've been doing the screen share thing with them, they have been checking everything. Surprisingly they have not simply stated it is an issue with my FI, they keep wanting to escalate to the "script team", so I think they believe the problem is on their end. I told them several people are here posting with a similar problem. Once again, fingers crossed - let's see what tomorrow brings.
  • rlpiniarlpinia Member
    edited September 2017
    I can't help but wonder if this has a lot to do with the current ongoing troubles in the product.  Interesting perspective/opinion in this article.  

"Quicken needs a new kitchen, bathrooms, central air and upgraded boiler – in other words a complete gutjob. Putting new vinyl siding might make it look nice if H.I.G. is looking for a quick sale, but the issues will shine through when you do an inspection. For at least the past 5–6 years Quicken has been piecemealed together, and this is what led them to where they are now." 

https://investorjunkie.com/47352/quicken-sold/

If they want to survive and thrive, they better get on top of the problems and support issues. 
    edited March 2017
    Nothing new. They keep telling me I must be typing in my information wrong. Yeah I can believe that could happen once or twice, but not in my dozens of attempts to login.  Grrrrrr
  • John KrizekJohn Krizek Member
    edited October 2018
    I've tried all of the fixes as reported on the topic.  They work at first, but then fail for one error or another.  I've just tried the update and I get a cc-501 error for the umteen time.  One comment that I can make.  I have 3 quicken files that I monitor,  Two give me errors and the middle one works fine.  I don't believe that it's a bank issue..  I use windows 10 and have since it's conception. I didn't have any problems till first part of this year.  So, again that tells me it's a Quicken problem.  Has anyone looked into the new owners of this product?  Maybe trying to make money and not taking care of users....  Just a thought....
  • NotACPANotACPA SuperUser
    edited March 2017

I've tried all of the fixes as reported on the topic.  They work at first, but then fail for one error or another.  I've just tried the update and I get a cc-501 error for the umteen time.  One comment that I can make.  I have 3 quicken files that I monitor,  Two give me errors and the middle one works fine.  I don't believe that it's a bank issue..  I use windows 10 and have since it's conception. I didn't have any problems till first part of this year.  So, again that tells me it's a Quicken problem.  Has anyone looked into the new owners of this product?  Maybe trying to make money and not taking care of users....  Just a thought....

Do all 3 data files have the SAME banks in them?  Because if it's working in the 1 file, how does it become a Quicken problem ... looks to me like a problem with the banks in the other 2 files.
    Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor"
    edited January 11
    Problem solved - don't know if this will help anyone else but see below. I changed my password from 13 characters to 11 and it worked!! Now this doesn't explain why my 13 character password worked for several months and suddenly stopped - but it works now and that's all the matters.  Hope this helps some others.

Usually CC 503 also that your password
    doesn't meet the requirements posted on your financial institutions
    website. A good example of this is a requirement that the password contain
    between 8-12 characters, but you enter 13 characters.  Your bank's
    website has the ability to simply stop "reading" the characters
    at 12 (ignoring the 13th) but Quicken must hard-stop at that 12th character. We've
    noticed that your password format contains 13 characters. Therefore, we would
    like to recommend you to try changing your password to something shorter like a
    maximum of 8-10 characters perhaps then try reconnecting your accounts once
    again in Quicken.

• DLLDLL Member
    edited March 2017
    feobrien said:

Problem solved - don't know if this will help anyone else but see below. I changed my password from 13 characters to 11 and it worked!! Now this doesn't explain why my 13 character password worked for several months and suddenly stopped - but it works now and that's all the matters.  Hope this helps some others.

at 12 (ignoring the 13th) but Quicken must hard-stop at that 12th character. We've
    again in Quicken.

Ughhhhh.....I so wanted this to work for me!  I tried it, but no luck.  I had 12 characters and changed to 11, still didn't matter.  Thanks for posting this though!
    edited March 2017
    feobrien said:

again in Quicken.

One last thought in interpreting their message - maybe it even needs to be shorter, so if you FI only supports an 8 character password and you use 11 might have the same problem. Not sure if your FI has their password rules posted, but maybe one more try with 8 characters???  Good luck!
    edited March 2017
    feobrien said:

again in Quicken.

And there is always the potential conflict with using special characters in an EWC account. There have been times in the past where entering special characters via the Add Account process worked fine but if you used them in the password vault screens they would not work. It's been a while since I've seen that but for those of you who can't find a workaround, you might test that to rule it out.
    edited March 2017
    feobrien said:

again in Quicken.

Yes I have heard of similar experiences. So while diagnosing this, best to keep it simple, no odd characters.  Early on in this experience Quicken asked me about the structure of my password.  I did have a dash in mine which apparently is fine. Turned out to be just too long.
  • rlpiniarlpinia Member
    edited April 2017
    feobrien said:

again in Quicken.

I find this more than a little concerning given the "need" to shorten passwords, especially to financial sites!  And because their infrastructure/application can't handle good practice for passwords/passphrases in 2017?  They can't handle more than 11 characters?  What year is it again?  This sounds like the old RACF security - 8 alpha characters only!  Good land.  

If this is the way Quicken designs their product I need to run away very quickly.  But then 13 characters worked before but now it doesn't.....hmmm? 

Thanks for posting the suggestion but I'm not going to dummy down financial passwords for the convenience of Quicken.

I still cannot believe Quicken is not following this and other threads on the topic and weighing in. It speaks volumes.
  • gmalis1gmalis1 Member
    edited April 2017
    feobrien said:

again in Quicken.

Bye...!
    edited April 2017
    feobrien said:

again in Quicken.

It is concerning in this day and age of hacking that Quicken does a hard stop at 12 characters.
  • John KrizekJohn Krizek Member
    edited April 2017

All three files are from the same bank..... and the file that works has a password of 13 characters.  The kinda shoots the theory of the password issue...