QWin 2014: Investment account for single stock changed to multiple stocks.

Unknown
Unknown Member
edited October 2018 in Investing (Windows)
I have been using an account for a single stock for years.  Suddenly it has changed to an account for multiple stock, which makes it awkward to use.  A Quicken article (HOW23001) says to edit the account by clicking the Single Mutual Fund button, but there is no such button on my Quicken (2014).  How did this go wrong, and how can I fix it?

Comments

• mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    You cannot change an account to single mutual fund if you have more than one security in the account.

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited March 2017
    OK.  But how can I change to a single fund when Quicken 2014 has no button to do this in the Edit Account dialog box?
  • mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Remove all but one security and remove all the cash. You won't even see the button if there is cash or a second security in the account.

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2018
    I tried this, but still no button.  I looked at other one-stock accounts, and no button there either.
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Dick said:

I tried this, but still no button.  I looked at other one-stock accounts, and no button there either.

See the graphic of the Account Dialog (TOOLS, Account List, Edit).  You don't show the "Single Mutual Fund" option?  That would indicate that the account is indeed, NOT currently a SMF.  Once there has been multiple securities in an account, I'm not sure that there's ANY WAY to convert it back to SMF.  You might need to just create a new account and move the single fund to the new account.

BTW, the biggest problem with an SMF account is that there can ONLY be that single mutual fund security in it EVER.  If you sell that particular security, and buy another, you'll need to create a 2nd SMF account.  Over my life I've held (at varying times) 99 different mutual funds (I just counted them, including the Hidden securities, in Q) ... which would have meant 99 different accounts just to hold mutual funds.  Instead I have 5 brokerage type accounts that can hold anything.  MUCH more convenient.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2018

I have several single-stock accounts and several with multiple stocks.  The only one that shows the single-fund button (shown above) was added in 2016; the others were added in or before 2014.  This makes be wonder if early versions of the program lacked this feature (I have update R10).  But the account I am having trouble with was also added in 2016.  So is there a way to work around this issue?

Also, you mention opening a new account and moving the security into it.  I know how to open an account, but how do I move a security between accounts?  Thanks to you both for your help so far.

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Dick said:

I have several single-stock accounts and several with multiple stocks.  The only one that shows the single-fund button (shown above) was added in 2016; the others were added in or before 2014.  This makes be wonder if early versions of the program lacked this feature (I have update R10).  But the account I am having trouble with was also added in 2016.  So is there a way to work around this issue?

Also, you mention opening a new account and moving the security into it.  I know how to open an account, but how do I move a security between accounts?  Thanks to you both for your help so far.

Just like there are buy and sell transactions in the investment account transaction list, there is a "shares transferred between accounts" transaction.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    WAIT, WAIT, WAIT a minute.  I thought that Q's SMF accounts were for mutual funds only ... NOT for stocks.

SO, Dick, what do you hold in that account in Q?  A single position of a mutual fund (even if it's a stock mutual fund)  OR do you hold a stock in it?

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2017

WAIT, WAIT, WAIT a minute.  I thought that Q's SMF accounts were for mutual funds only ... NOT for stocks.

SO, Dick, what do you hold in that account in Q?  A single position of a mutual fund (even if it's a stock mutual fund)  OR do you hold a stock in it?

Good Call.  I thought a SMF account could take any security type.  Turns out no.  I created in QW2014 a new SMF account with no security and no cash.  You get a question at the end of that process as to whether the account is SMF or not.

The SMF option is available for that empty account (Edit Account Details).  Add a BoughtX for a MF ... no problem, no change to the account setting, option remains. 

Instead, add a BoughtX for a Stock ... the SMF option disappears from the Edit Account Details screen.  After closing the Edit Account Details windows, the account displays as a regular account (Cash Balance column).  Change the security type for the one security in the account to Mutual Fund ... the option returns to the Edit Account Details screen to say Yes or No to SMF status.  

As I indicated, this is nothing really new -- that is the way my old QW2014 is behaving.

@Dick:  Apparently you need to change the Security Type for the one security in the account to Mutual Fund to get comparable behavior with your other accounts.  
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited March 2017
    Dick said:

How can I move a security from one account to another?  You suggest opening a new account and moving the security into it.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited March 2017

It is a single mutual fund.  I opened the account as a single mutual fund account and used it this way for several months.  Then something happened and it was changed to a multiple security account.  All I want is to change it back.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited March 2017
    To q lurker:  I think you have got it.  I set up most of my one-security using types like Bond, etc, even though they are mutual funds.  The one where I used Mutual Fund does have the Single Mutual Fund button in the Account Details dialog box.  However, in the other accounts when I change the type of  security to Mutual Fund, the Single Mutual button does not come up in the Account Details dialog.  Looks like it works when you set it up correctly, but not when you make the change.  Any ideal how to make this work?
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited March 2017
    I just got this fixed.  I removed all the cash transactions from the account (there were only 5).  Changed the security type to Mutual Fund, and then was able to change the account type to Single Mutual Fund.  Finally I reentered the 5 transactions as transfers, as I had intended.  All looks good.  Thanks to you all for helping me to understand and fix this.  Dick
This discussion has been closed.