"Accept all" doesn't work with money market funds

Options
Unknown
Unknown Member
edited January 2019 in Investing (Windows)
When reviewing investment transactions, I like to use "Accept all".    This works for most transactions, but the money market fund transfers (which there are sometimes a lot) always make me go through them one at a time to declare the cost basis method.  How do I get these to be part of the Accept All transaction?

Comments

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Options

AFAIK, you need to individually accept Buy and Sell transactions in chronological order. For Sell transactions that is so that you can properly select the specific lots to sell, to be in sync with what the brokerage sold.

I'm curious. Does your brokerage download the MMF cash rollover transactions? Mine does not. I have stopped manually recording MMF rollovers years ago and just simply consider any MMF shares part of the Cash balance.

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    I'm not sure whether they are cash rollovers or not.   I guess my question is how do I get it to stop asking me to identify individual lots when it doesn't really matter.   The price of the MMF is always $1 so this seems to be a waste of time.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Keith said:

I'm not sure whether they are cash rollovers or not.   I guess my question is how do I get it to stop asking me to identify individual lots when it doesn't really matter.   The price of the MMF is always $1 so this seems to be a waste of time.

Sorry, you can't. All sold lots require lot selection, even on these MMF rollovers.

• mtn_living
    mtn_living Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Same question for three money market mutual funds I have. I have each marked for average cost. Quicken accepts all for most transaction in this account but not the money market transactions which always have a cost basis of $1.00. I have hundreds of these transactions due to nature of this account. Manually having to accept each one is near unmanageable. Quicken 2017 for Windows, latest update.
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Options

Same question for three money market mutual funds I have. I have each marked for average cost. Quicken accepts all for most transaction in this account but not the money market transactions which always have a cost basis of $1.00. I have hundreds of these transactions due to nature of this account. Manually having to accept each one is near unmanageable. Quicken 2017 for Windows, latest update.

Same question => Same answer. You can't.

Note that especially for a MMF, you do not actually have to go into the select lots process. When the popup question appears, one click on the OK or Accept (however it is phrased) is adequate. It should be one extra click for each sale of the MMF shares and thus quite manageable.
This discussion has been closed.