How do I move securities from watch list to securities?

Options
Gary Holabird
Gary Holabird Member ✭✭
edited December 2018 in Investing (Windows)
How do I move securities from the watch list to securities?  Quicken 2017

Comments

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Options
    Securities in the Watch List are the ones you track, but don't usually own.
    Once a security has been created in the Security List, it can be added to the Watch List.
    When you actually do buy a security, entering the Buy transaction into your investment account register will make it appear in the Holdings view and/or the Portfolio View.
    There's no need to actually move anything.
    But you may want to review the Customization of the Portfolio View, to ensure that the desired investment accounts and "all" securities are included in the Portfolio View.
  • Gary Holabird
    Gary Holabird Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Thanks for the very quick reply.  I was updating my securities & adding a few & they automatically go into the watch list.  I do own them.

Any ideas?
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2017
    Options

Thanks for the very quick reply.  I was updating my securities & adding a few & they automatically go into the watch list.  I do own them.

Any ideas?

TOOLS, Security List, and uncheck them in the "Watch List" column.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Gary Holabird
    Gary Holabird Member ✭✭
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Thanks, but I tried that.  Doesn't do anything.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2017
    Options

Any ideas?

When you add a new security by hand, "Add to Watch List" already has a checkmark. You need to remember to remove the checkmark if you do not want the security to appear on the Watch List.
    If you want to remove a security from the Watch List that is already there, just uncheck the box in the Security List's Watch column.
  • Gary Holabird
    Gary Holabird Member ✭✭
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I uncheck the Watch List box, it removes it from the Watch List, but I want to add it (them) to my portfolio, not the watch list.  When I add a security (mutual fund (FCNTX), in this case), it goes directly to the watch list, no matter what.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited April 2017
    Options

I uncheck the Watch List box, it removes it from the Watch List, but I want to add it (them) to my portfolio, not the watch list.  When I add a security (mutual fund (FCNTX), in this case), it goes directly to the watch list, no matter what.

You have to have holdings of that security to see it in the Portfolio View.

If you have no holdings (shares you own, etc), you can't see it.  You can only track it in the Watch List.

Thus...the reason for the Watch List.  And thus the reason for the Portfolio View.  

Also, in the Portfolio View, you have to designate WHICH securities you can see in the View by customizing the current view and selecting Securities, then selecting the securities to include in the view:

• Gary Holabird
    Gary Holabird Member ✭✭
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Ok, I finally got it.  Nothing was working.  I started messing around... & found out where to be able to update directly from the "bank" (Fidelity, in this case), & everything got moved from the watch list.  Finally!  Of course, I don't remember what steps I took!

Thank you to everyone for all your assistance.
This discussion has been closed.