Starting balance not static (Quicken for Mac 2017)

I made the mistake of creating an account with a file I downloaded from my bank instead of inputting transactions manually (I prefer to manually input my transactions because it gives me more control and I don't have to go back and fix Payees and Categories. ). This created an opening balance for that account that self-adjusts to reflect the balance that Quicken thinks I should have. When I go to reconcile, I think I'm balancing, but if I go all the way back to the opening balance, I sometimes see that it changed, telling me that I actually had an error and was about to incorrectly reconcile an account. Am I going to have to delete and start over with that account (16 months of transactions) or is there a way to make the opening balance a static amount?

Thanks,

Rae

Comments

• RickORickO SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2017
    Are you still downloading to match your manual entries, or are you working completely manually?

In either case, you should be able to just delete the the Placeholder Transaction, identified by being at the beginning of the register, grayed out, and with the word "placeholder" in the Memo/Notes.

Just delete the placeholder transaction and then enter a new manual opening balance transaction.
  • TravelingRaeTravelingRae Member
    edited December 2018
    I'm working completely manually now. It just works better with my workflow and how I manage PayPal.

Thanks for the proposed solution. Hope it works! I'll be doing my March books this week, so that will be the test. I really appreciate the quick response.

Cheers,

Rae
  • RickORickO SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2017

I'm working completely manually now. It just works better with my workflow and how I manage PayPal.

Thanks for the proposed solution. Hope it works! I'll be doing my March books this week, so that will be the test. I really appreciate the quick response.

Cheers,

Rae

Let us know if that does it for you.
  • TravelingRaeTravelingRae Member
    edited April 2017

Cheers,

Rae

I just made a few dummy transactions and my balance changed, telling me that the opening balance hadn't. So your solution worked! Thank you!