why is the net worth shown on the account list different from the one on the report?

Leslie Lewis
Leslie Lewis Member ✭✭
edited October 2018 in Investing (Windows)
I am using Quicken Premier 2015 (US). The "net worth" on the account bar differs significantly from the report that is generated when I click on it. I traced the error to a hidden account that was closed in 2013. I opened the account register and it shows a balance of 0.00. The net worth report, however, show a large negative balance which accounts for the discrepancy. I do not know how to correct this error. Help would be greatly appreciated.

I removed the "hide" option for this account so it will show on the account bar. On the bar it shows as closed with no balance.

Comments

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2018
    What kind of account type is the problem account?
    If it is a non investment account I would suggest creating a new account and using this procedure to move the transactions to the new account, and then deleting the old one:
    https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/faq-how-do-i-move-transactions-between-quicken-accounts
  • Leslie Lewis
    Leslie Lewis Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately, it is an investment account.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited April 2017
    Check the price for the security for the investment transaction.  There could be a "wacked" out future price...or a zero price in the Price History file.

If you can find the approximate date where your net worth started acting up, you can also add a price for that security on that date.

And one final thing...somehow I found that having a BOUGHTX transaction messed up my net worth at one time.  Especially if the BOUGHTX was the first transaction in that account.  What I did was create two separate transactions...a transfer into the investment account giving a cash balance...and then just a simple BUY for the shares of the security.

I'm not guaranteeing any of this will work...but it's worth a try.  
  • Leslie Lewis
    Leslie Lewis Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Thank you for your response.

The account in question is an IRA that was transferred to a new account with a different brokerage in Aug, 2013. I went to the holding for both accounts on the day before and then the of the transfer. All the securities and the cash balance were transferred to the new account. The old account shows no holding on the day of the transfer while the new account has all the holdings that were on the old account the previous day.

I routinely reconcile the accounts statements each month and there never a discrepancy.

These accounts have 10 or more securities in them. I checked the price history of each and could find nothing.

At this point, all I want to do is eliminate the account with the incorrect balance.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited April 2017

The account in question is an IRA that was transferred to a new account with a different brokerage in Aug, 2013. I went to the holding for both accounts on the day before and then the of the transfer. All the securities and the cash balance were transferred to the new account. The old account shows no holding on the day of the transfer while the new account has all the holdings that were on the old account the previous day.

I routinely reconcile the accounts statements each month and there never a discrepancy.

These accounts have 10 or more securities in them. I checked the price history of each and could find nothing.

At this point, all I want to do is eliminate the account with the incorrect balance.

Make sure you have a backup, and then right click on the account in the account bar, select Edit/Delete, and then Delete.

Note any transfers to that account will be changed to [Unspecified Account].
  • Leslie Lewis
    Leslie Lewis Member ✭✭
    edited April 2017

Thanks! It worked!!!
This discussion has been closed.