Report not finding long/short term gains

Unknown
Unknown Member
edited January 2019 in Investing (Windows)
investing Activity report not including long/short term gains (reinvsted) for a municipal fund.  I have the long/short terms gains as "ReinvSH" and "REinvLG" as the corresponding actions but the activity report only includes the amounts listed as "ReinvDiv".  why?

Comments

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    What I see with my QW2014 is that the cap gain distributions (LT, ST, reinvested or not) are included in the "Dividends" line of the Investment Activity report.  Why?  I have no idea.  The ST parts make some sense since those are taxed at Dividend rates, but I would certainly expect to see the LT components listed separately as the Realized gains are listed (further noting that those Realized gains are both LT and ST).  

Overall, since the Investment activity report is very much a summary, not applicable to tax planning and breakdown or for performance assessment, I'm not sure how big a deal it is.  But I do agree that it is unclear.  

BTW, mine are not Muni-funds so I am not sure if that might play into the picture. Check your numbers to see of the ST and LT reinvestment portions are in the Dividend line.  
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited April 2017
    Well I thought that might have been happening but I went thru and added the amounts myself and found that the ReinvST & ReinvLT are NOT included in the dividend line at all.  What version do you have?  I have 2016 Home & Business.  Maybe a bug?
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    In QW Premier 2017 R5, if I display the Investing Activity report the Dividends number includes taxable and tax free dividends plus LT and ST capital gain distributions. If I double-click on the Dividends number, it shows the Investment Income report, which breaks out capital gains distributions for the period. Double-clicking on the long term or short term gains shows the individual transactions.

I guess Quicken is treating all these as distributions and thus grouping them together in the Dividends line in the Investing Activity report, but It would make more sense I think if it had a separate line for capital gains distributions.

Note that you have to be careful with this report because by default it includes retirement accounts, which you will want to exclude for tax purposes, or use the separate tax reports instead.
    QWin Premier subscription
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Francis, set aside for a moment the Investing Activity Report.  What does the Tax Schedule report show?

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited April 2017
    Worse still.  If I choose Reports --> Tax --> Tax Schedule, and select only the 1 account, no transactions show up at all.  If I choose Reports --> Tax --> no capital gains show up from any of my accounts other than 1 transaction where a fee was deducted by selling some shares.  Other than that one fee in one account, no other reinvested capital gain (long or short) shows up.
  • markus1957
    markus1957 SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    edited January 2019
    Reinvested shares transactions are not capital gains, they are dividends that are used to buy additional shares. Gains are triggered by Selling shares, not buying them. I don't see the problem. Try using the Capital Gains report to see capital gains.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited January 2019
    The problem is that when you look at a report labeled "Investing activity", and the reports shows reinvested dividends, but NOT reinvested LG or SG, then the report is not giving a complete picture.  I have since figured out what you pointed out that this report only shows realized gains but I have also found out that other reports, including the tax and schedule reports, are also not showing reinvested LG or SG transactions.  Now THAT is an issue.  Never bothered running these reports before so I don't know if this is an issue in 2016 H&B only or if it has always been this way.  I do have the latest version of 2016 H&B.
  • markus1957
    edited April 2017
    Francis said:

The problem is that when you look at a report labeled "Investing activity", and the reports shows reinvested dividends, but NOT reinvested LG or SG, then the report is not giving a complete picture.  I have since figured out what you pointed out that this report only shows realized gains but I have also found out that other reports, including the tax and schedule reports, are also not showing reinvested LG or SG transactions.  Now THAT is an issue.  Never bothered running these reports before so I don't know if this is an issue in 2016 H&B only or if it has always been this way.  I do have the latest version of 2016 H&B.

Sorry but I just checked an Investing Activity report set for Last Year and see the LTCG distributions paid in cash and those re-invested included in the Realized Gains section. Drilling down they display in the "_LT CapGnDist" category or "_ST CapGnDist" category. I do notice that the Capital Gains report only shows gains associated with Buy/Sell transactions and it appears the report is intentionally designed that way. The Tax Schedule report on the other hand only reports distribution transactions under Schedule D, again appearing to be designed that way. Using both reports provides the detail necessary for completing Schedule D.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited April 2017
    Francis said:

Sadly, I dont' see any reinvested capital gains in the Investment Activity Report or the Capital Gains report or the Schedule D report.  What version of quicken are yhou using?  I have 2016 Home & Business, latest build.
  • markus1957
    edited April 2017
    Francis said:

2017 H&B R6, but I used 2016 H&B and it operated the same way.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited April 2017
    Francis said:

hmm, then I wonder what I is  happening systematically.  This affects all my accounts. The only capital gain that is recognized is one where shares were sold to cover a fee (realized gain).  Now I have been using quicken for a long time and have upgraded multiple times.  Wonder if that has any bearing on my problem.  Thanks for you info.

I did find that this problem has been reported before.  There is one report that I have found will report unrealized gains.  Reports -->Investing-->investing income and in the advanced tab under cutomizing, there is an option to include unrealized gains. Unfortunately, the majority of reports do not have this option.
This discussion has been closed.