QWin 2007: How to externally download price info for a list of symbols

jarhtmd
jarhtmd Member ✭✭✭
edited October 2018 in Investing (Windows)

I'm using Quicken 2007. I know it's old, but so am I. This version has worked well for me for years.

I keep an Excel workbook that I use for tracking various things.  This includes externally downloading stock & mutual fund prices which I then use to update my Excel data &Quicken.  I've used finance.yahoo.com for several years, but they've changed formats several times w/o warning, forcing me to revise my processing (always at inconvenient times).  It's frustrating.  I would like to find a good, solid, established,easy-to-use, reliable source for downloading (price, date/time, etc).  A group of about 10 specific stocks and mutual funds is involved.

Because of my 'systems design' (good or bad), it's easier for me to transfer from Excel to Quicken than vice versa.

Suggestions?

Comments

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2018
    Netstock would be my best guess:
    http://www.splitcycle.com/Products/Netstock

BTW this brings up something that a lot of people don't really get.  They see security quotes all over the place for free and assume it is easy to get that same information downloaded (for free of course).  When in fact there are very few places that allow that, and yes they keep changing things.
    And when you throw into the mix that there are people that want prices from basically all the exchanges of the world, it gets complicated.

And for companies like Quicken Inc, these are never free they have to pay for a service to get them.

I use to have a program that grabbed prices off of Yahoo and looked for other sources, so I know quite a bit about it.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2018
    Second the motion for Netstock. Works great downloading your stock prices...and has a module under FILE > EXPORT TO QUICKEN where it creates a data file that you can then import into Quicken...getting all your prices daily and easily.  
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    gmalis1 said:

Second the motion for Netstock. Works great downloading your stock prices...and has a module under FILE > EXPORT TO QUICKEN where it creates a data file that you can then import into Quicken...getting all your prices daily and easily.  

Isn't Netstock limited to only the current (one day's) quote? I didn't think you could get historical data. The OP asked for both price and date to be included.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited May 2017
    gmalis1 said:

Netstock seems to be for one day.  

So, the workaround is...download the quotes each day and save it to a file...or import it into Quicken each day.

Certainly easier than entering them all manually.  
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited May 2017
    gmalis1 said:

Yes it is limited to the current prices.  If someone wants more they are going to have to do their own grunt work.

Here is a link to some information.  From what I see only Yahoo and Google links still work:
    https://www.quantshare.com/sa-43-10-ways-to-download-historical-stock-quotes-data-for-free
This discussion has been closed.