investment performance report beginning market value error

Unknown
Unknown Member
edited October 2018 in Investing (Windows)
In the investment performance ytd report subtotaled by account, one of the accounts has an incorrect beg mkt val. Instead of $71,xxx on Jan 1, 2016, it shows $10,xxx. The account has a reconciled linked checking account with a small cash balance of $xxx. The balances in the Quicken investment portfolio view are correct for 1-1-16 but do not match the performance report. Only one of several investment accounts has this error. The others are fine. I have recalculated the investment account per the fix recommended by Quicken (ctr z in the date field), but this did not correct the error. Using Quicken 2016 - Ver 8 in Windows 10.  Help!

Comments

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    One thing to realize for the Investment Performance Report is that although it may show the date 1/1/16 with a $10,xxx figure, that beginning value is actually the 'closing' value for 12/31/15.  Effectively the calculation is saying the starting point is just after the Times Square ball falls and you are starting from that prior days close.  So check to see what values are applicable in your data for 12/31/15 and see if that sheds light on the $10,xxx figure.  
  • Santiago100
    Santiago100 Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2017
    I find a similar problem with quicken premier 2014. The beg mkt val for one security is shown as zero but it is not. Market value was the same several days before and after the beginning date of the report. The incorrectly calculated IRR is very high because the End Mkt Val is correct. 
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited May 2018
    Recently started having same issues with investment performance report (Q16).  Beginning market value is now badly wrong for some reason -- and it's not just a 12/31 vs. 1/1 issue.  End market value is correct.  No idea what caused the "change" unless it has to do with Quicken updating.  Report is now effectively useless.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited May 2017
    Check to make sure you have the correct amount of shares purchased from a cash starting balance.

Check to make sure there are no "wayward" incorrect security prices for that account.  Quicken has been known to insert some "zero" prices...and have also placed some wrong prices way out in the future.

Also, if your starting balance is from a BOUGHTX transaction, I would split the transaction into TWO transactions....a transfer transaction of the cash amount from the source of the cash (banking account?) and then do a BUY.

For some strange reason, even stranger things happen with a BOUGHTX, especially as an opening transaction. 

And finally, just as a stab in the dark, check for any unresolved placeholders in the account.  
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    J said:

Recently started having same issues with investment performance report (Q16).  Beginning market value is now badly wrong for some reason -- and it's not just a 12/31 vs. 1/1 issue.  End market value is correct.  No idea what caused the "change" unless it has to do with Quicken updating.  Report is now effectively useless.

I would begin addressing that by setting the subtotal selection to Accounts, then determining which specific account(s) are off.  I would then focus on each account setting the subtotal to security or security type to further focus in on the problem.  

You may then need to delete and re-enter applicable transactions.  

OR

You can try restoring a recent backup to see if it exhibits the same issue.  
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited May 2017
    J said:

OK now.  Thanks.  Curious that the "original" entries I fixed appeared to be correct -- and that they were both over 10 years old.  However report issue corrected itself once I deleted and reentered these same transactions.  Why now --and can "old" Quicken data be corrupted ?
This discussion has been closed.