Securities sold in brokerage account appear in Networth report totals and detail but not in account

Options
Unknown
Unknown Member
edited May 2018 in Investing (Windows)
In Quicken 2016 Home & Business, I have a brokerage account with multiple years of transactions in multiple mutual funds.  I just discovered that four (4) mutual funds that I bought and sold years ago (the last was sold in 2010) show balances in the Net Worth Summary and detail report but the Account Holdings do not show any shares or balances for these securities.

Every place in Quicken that displays this Account balance on screen is correct (such as the Home - My Accounts) but every instance where the Net Worth report is generated has an incorrect amount (i.e. it includes the partial value of the previously sold securities) for this Account.  In fact, the Report-Investments-Portfolio Value and Cost Basis report shows the 4 securities with the cost basis equal to the balance for each security.  All four securities were sold where all shares sold at the same time.

I have copied the file, ran validate and repair without resolving this problem.  I have also checked and do not have any share Splits, RtnCapX or BoughtX transactions for any of the 4 securities that other users on this Forum have reported as causing a similar problem.

How can I get the NetWorth report to calculate the balance of this Account correctly?

Comments

• mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Fred, in the past when I have encountered this issue, it has been caused by improper lot identification in sell transactions that resulted in the same lot being sold more than once.

I would run the net worth report for different date ranges to see if you can pinpoint the date of the problem transaction.

Then try going through the sell transactions around that date and resetting the lot identification. It may take resetting the lot identification for all sell transactions for that security.

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I encountered the same problem.  After narrowing down the approximate date when things got mucked up, I found that Quicken doesn't like SELLX and BOUGHTX transactions.  Especially as the first line in an investment register.

What I did was separate the ONE transaction (sell or bought AND transfer) into two distinct separate transactions...a SELL or BUY plus the transfer in or out.

Also, once or twice I would just find an investment transaction that for some reason I had to delete and then reenter.  Reentering the transaction resolved the issue.

Just more Quicken quirks. 
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    I solved my Quicken problem.  I found multiple transactions (ReinvDiv,
    ReinvSh & ReinvLg) from 1996-2001 where there was an amount invested
    but no corresponding number of shares purchased.  I don't know if I
    manually entered these or they were added by a download from the
    institution.  There were no "placeholder transactions" correcting the
    number of shares before or after the mutual funds were sold so it
    appears that Quicken assumes these were simply additional cash
    investments into the mutual funds.  I deleted just these transactions
    and all balances stayed as is but the Net Worth and Portfolio Value
    reports are now correct.
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Options

I solved my Quicken problem.  I found multiple transactions (ReinvDiv,
    ReinvSh & ReinvLg) from 1996-2001 where there was an amount invested
    but no corresponding number of shares purchased.  I don't know if I
    manually entered these or they were added by a download from the
    institution.  There were no "placeholder transactions" correcting the
    number of shares before or after the mutual funds were sold so it
    appears that Quicken assumes these were simply additional cash
    investments into the mutual funds.  I deleted just these transactions
    and all balances stayed as is but the Net Worth and Portfolio Value
    reports are now correct.

There have certainly been instances where brokerage have downloaded both ReinvDiv and Div+Buy transactions for the same real world reinvestment.  If your data is (or was) showing both paths for the same event, that could be where your troubles arose.  I feel reinforced in that scenario in that you deleted the transactions with no negative effects and in that your share counts are proper (suggesting you might have Div and Buy Share transactions tangential to those ReinvDv you deleted.)
This discussion has been closed.