Express Web Connect will not download Wells Fargo credit card transactions

I'm using Quicken 2016 (version R12) for Windows. I am able to set up Express Web Connect ("EWC") for my Wells Fargo Bank checking account and credit card account. EWC downloads transactions for the checking account but not for the credit card account. For the credit card account, only the "Online Balance" is updated. Wells Fargo does not support Direct Connect for credit card accounts. In order to download credit card transactions, I must use the cumbersome Web Connect method that requires I log in to my Wells Fargo online account, select the date range of transaction to download, download the credit card transactions to a QFX file, then import the QFX file. 

After searching the Quicken customer forums for a solution, I  discovered that this is not a new problem. For 6 months or more, Quicken customers have been reporting this or similar problems using with Express Web Connect with Wells Fargo Bank. Customers report that the problem persists even in Quicken 2017.

Quicken has been claiming for months that they are working to solve this ongoing known problem. Yet they decline to provide an estimate on the time to fix it. This suggests to me that Quicken is not working on this problem at all.

If Quicken does not support Express Web Connect for Wells Fargo credit card accounts, they should simply admit this so that customers can stop wasting their time deactivating, reactivating, validating, contacting Wells Fargo, trying Direct Connect, searching Quicken customer forums, and other useless solutions Quicken Support proposes to address this longstanding known problem.

Comments

• gmalis1gmalis1 Member
    edited June 2017
    Time to find a new bank...or new software. 
  • edited December 2018
    I connect through Quicken with perhaps 20 or more financial institutions including credit cards, savings, brokerages, all kinds of accounts.  All work without any issues.  I'd suggest that the problem lies solely with Wells Fargo and that is why Quicken / Intuit cannot give you a completion time.  Web Connect is provided by them to the financial institution and it is up to the FI to install and test and debug it in their environment before releasing it to Wells Fargo customers.  If I were you I would switch FI's and close the Wells Fargo account, writing them a strong letter telling them why you closed your account.  I am not nor have I ever been anything more than a Intuit client.  
  • gmalis1gmalis1 Member
    edited June 2017

I connect through Quicken with perhaps 20 or more financial institutions including credit cards, savings, brokerages, all kinds of accounts.  All work without any issues.  I'd suggest that the problem lies solely with Wells Fargo and that is why Quicken / Intuit cannot give you a completion time.  Web Connect is provided by them to the financial institution and it is up to the FI to install and test and debug it in their environment before releasing it to Wells Fargo customers.  If I were you I would switch FI's and close the Wells Fargo account, writing them a strong letter telling them why you closed your account.  I am not nor have I ever been anything more than a Intuit client.  

Intuit sold Quicken 15 months ago. 
  • edited June 2017

It's hard to break old habits.  Sorry.
  • Herrick InmanHerrick Inman Member
    edited June 2017

Quicken claims they can't give me a completion time because they Quicken are still "investigating the problem"--a problem which has been ongoing for more than 6 months! Quicken's claim makes no sense to someone who has worked for many years as an IT manager and software engineer in corporate environments.
  • rlpiniarlpinia Member
    edited September 2017
    Having experienced the same issues at another FI, I was connected with 2 engineers at Quicken.  I have been working with them now since mid-April.  After ruling out client data corruption, etc. they are focused on other areas. They know there is a problem(s) in the infrastructure for EWC.  

I'm confident they will ultimately resolve this but it is taking considerable time.  We meet again tomorrow to discuss status and direction of their efforts.  Hopefully I can better understand their thoughts on a timeline after tomorrow.  

In the meantime, the only work around is Web Connect or manual input. I am moving away from my one FI that continues to use EWC to a FI that uses Direct Connect.  
  • Herrick InmanHerrick Inman Member
    edited June 2017
    rlpinia said:

Having experienced the same issues at another FI, I was connected with 2 engineers at Quicken.  I have been working with them now since mid-April.  After ruling out client data corruption, etc. they are focused on other areas. They know there is a problem(s) in the infrastructure for EWC.  

I'm confident they will ultimately resolve this but it is taking considerable time.  We meet again tomorrow to discuss status and direction of their efforts.  Hopefully I can better understand their thoughts on a timeline after tomorrow.  

In the meantime, the only work around is Web Connect or manual input. I am moving away from my one FI that continues to use EWC to a FI that uses Direct Connect.  

As a software engineer, I doubt that this is a technical problem that requires months of investigation by engineers to find a supposed needle in a technical haystack. What seems much more likely is that there's some unresolved business issue between Quicken and the FI that is holding up the implementation of EWC with that FI. E.g., maybe the FI believes that the way EWC is implemented poses a security risk that it unacceptable to the FI.
  • rlpiniarlpinia Member
    edited June 2017
    rlpinia said:

Very good point.  From what I understand about EWC it puts the aggragators in the middle which sets up another business relationship.  That and security would be big concerns and complicate the matter.  I just don't believe EWC can be that complicated in terms of technology.   

In my case, the problem started with all of my EWC FI's but was quickly resolved with the exception of one FI.  That happens to be my primary banking institution unfortunately.  That FI moved away from Direct Connect (no explanation) about 4 years ago and does not plan to go back to which is strange since the standard seems to be Direct Connect by leading FI's.  
  • rlpiniarlpinia Member
    edited June 2017
    rlpinia said:

A new guy joined us in our meeting yesterday.  Very sharp.  He picked up right away on the fact i have 3 member accounts and multiple (many) accounts under each one.  That condition runs into triggers they have set to prevent hackers.  From the test yesterday they confirmed that and found the automatic limits were not reset as they should have been.  

They are working on a fix and will ask me to try again today or tomorrow.  It makes sense coming from him and his theory seem to be supported after seeing the logs. 

I asked about the aggregators too.  He maintains the relationships are firmly in place and is not aware of any issue on the business side.  Quicken uses Intuit as their aggregator.  Not sure how others play in the mix or if there are additional handoffs when returning the results. 
  • edited December 2018

@Herrick: Does your Quicken problem have anything in common with the problem I describe here:

https://tinyurl.com/y8uopek6

• Ben BushongBen Bushong Member
    edited October 2018

I'm using Quicken 2019 and it's still a problem.  I'm guessing Wells Fargo doesn't care, and they want people to use their Direct Connect interface for which they charge a fee.  I'll deal with this a little, but when other cards download everything flawlessly for free, it won't be long before I cancel this card.
This discussion has been closed.